Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop slowing down

• 22-05-2007 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Hey all, forgive the basic nature of this question.

I've a Dell Lattitude D610 I got two years back qith 256 MB of ram. I know that's not much but I basically only use it for college: Internet, e mails, word and I have some music on too.

I've noticed recently that it's taking longer and longer to load the desktop after start-up. I'll turn it on, put in my password and then I'll be waiting five minutes until I can actually launch internet expolorer. I have up to date adware and sophos running. I'm not sure as to what's causing this. Is ghosting the hard drive a big task?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its just all the accumulated rubbish you collect over time and laptops are much slower than desktops (hard drive speed mostly).
    Try unisntalling crap you do not need and running a defrag. However get more mem! You will be amazed at what another 512mb will do.

If you do not care about the current install... then backup your files etc then format and reinstall with the dell disks and it will be good as new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Yeah I know 256 is very little! Thanks for the advice. To be honest I'm not sure how to go about reinstalling windows...I have all the source disks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

If you want we can do a few things that should speed up your pc quite a bit. If you want to then do the following :

Please download the self-extracting version of HijackThis from here:

HijackThis_sfx download

Save HijackThis_sfx to your desktop.

Double-click the file then click the Unzip button. Then close the Self-Extractor window.

Using My Computer/Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\HijackThis and double click on HijackThis.exe to run it. If you would like to make a shortcut for your Desktop so it's more easily accessable, right click HijackThis.exe and choose Send To > Desktop (create shortcut).

Please run the extracted HijackThis.exe from now on. Delete any copies of HijackThis.zip that you have saved.

Open HijackThis and click Do a system scan and save a log file. Copy the entire contents of that log and post it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Thanks for the link guys this is what I have:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 00:16:40, on 23/05/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\basfipm.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\SAVAdminService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sophos\Remote Management System\ManagementAgentNT.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\ALsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sophos\Remote Management System\RouterNT.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ZcfgSvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\ALMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jucheck.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDEngine.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.euro.dell.com/
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ucd.ie/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.euro.dell.com/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.euro.dell.com/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.euro.dell.com/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = http://proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe AcRdB7_0_5 -reboot 1
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: AutoUpdate Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\ALMon.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1119513200921
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1156244270140
    O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: IntelWireless - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\LgNotify.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O23 - Service: Broadcom ASF IP monitoring service v6.0.4 (BAsfIpM) - Broadcom Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\basfipm.exe
    O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
    O23 - Service: EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
    O23 - Service: PDAgent - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: PDEngine - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDEngine.exe
    O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    O23 - Service: Sophos Anti-Virus status reporter (SAVAdminService) - Sophos Plc - C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\SAVAdminService.exe
    O23 - Service: Sophos Anti-Virus (SAVService) - Sophos Plc - C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\SavService.exe
    O23 - Service: Sophos Agent - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sophos\Remote Management System\ManagementAgentNT.exe" -service -name Agent (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Sophos AutoUpdate Service - Sophos Plc - C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\ALsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Sophos Message Router - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sophos\Remote Management System\RouterNT.exe" -service -name Router -ORBListenEndpoints iiop://:8193/ssl_port=8194 (file missing)
    O23 - Service: WLANKEEPER - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
    O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Disabling these start up entries should help speed up your pc, if there are any you want to keep running on start up then don't check them.

Run HijackThis, click "Do a system scan only" and check these entries :

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe AcRdB7_0_5 -reboot 1
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: AutoUpdate Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\ALMon.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

Then click "Fix checked".

Download: CCleaner (freeware)
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html
    Run the installer, and uncheck the option to install Yahoo toolbar (unless you want Yahoo toolbar).
    Once installed, run CCleaner click the Windows [tab]
    Select everything including the boxes under Advanced:
    cleaner.gif
    Next: click Options click the Settings tab
    Uncheck: "Only delete files older than 48 hrs.", click Ok
    Then click Run Cleaner (bottom right) then Exit

After go to the Issues tab on the left, click "Scan for Issues", click "Fix all issues" when it's done. Make sure you back up the registry when it prompts you.

You now need to update your Java and remove your older versions.
    Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components.

* Click Start > Control Panel.
    * Click Add/Remove Programs.
    * Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in the name.
    * Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.

Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE), and install it to your computer.
    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
    Go to Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to get it.

Your using an old version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, this can leave your pc open to vulnerabilities, you can update it here :
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

I'd recommend uninstalling Sophos anti-virus as this could be a reason for your slow down, and instead getting a better anti-virus like :
    AVG makes an excellent free antivirus client, as do AntiVir or avast!.

After that, download and run this free and excellent defragger
    http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

Tell me if that helps speed up things a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Chaps, I'm going to move this to the more relevant Windows forum.

Advertisement