Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sounds like water hammer,how to fix it.

Options
  • 22-05-2007 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

hello,

occasionally there is an almighty vibrating sound when the toilet is flushed. Sounds like water hammer. I took the lid of the cistern off and where the arm of the ballcock pushes against the 'valve' there is the little protruding thing that is vibrating like mad. I found an ear protector on the street the other day and I've just wedged it between the ballcock arm and the protruding 'thing' and it worked.

How can I get a more permanent fix?

It only happens now and again, every couple of months, but lasts for days. Is it a variance in the water pressure in the DCC water supply?

ta much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

There are water hammer arrestors out there you can get to solve this problem. I think a company called desbordes does one. Try a local heating and plumbing merchant, they should sort you out or point in the direction of a supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I find it hard to picture what you are talking about ,maybe installing a new cistern pack would do the job. The noise may be the seating worn out.

You may also have the wrong orifice in the ballcock and it's too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I get water hammer in my downstairs loo and the ball cock is a new design one similar I believe to you you are describing. It seems that the action of the float and the diaphram act to resonate vibration into the water feed, causing this noise. It only lasts for 10 seconds in my case, but I'm sure that over time will causes some issues with the piping (it's qualplex).
    The piping is 3/4 inch direct from the tank with 1 basin and 2 other cisterns attached. Only the downstairs loo has the issue (pressure related).

I'd love to hear some solutions to the issue - adding a hammer arrestor isn't an option due to the compact nature of the loo. It also needs to be isntalled as close to the source of the resonance as possible, and as my loo takes the water feed from the floor, leaves me with little room to install one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

There are a few methods of fixing it ,but I'd always make sure the right orrifice was used.
    Also check that the piping is not loose ,hydradare pipe can vibrate if it's not secured properly and add to the noise.

Other than that it's a call out ,to resolve the issue:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Brian,

I've resorted in desparation to putting this ear plug in the small gap at the base of the ballcock arm to stop the vibration from the cistern pack.

T

• Advertisement
Advertisement