Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hit counter without changing file extension...

Options
  • 22-05-2007 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

I got a weird request at work that I'm stumped for.

Basically got an IIS server running and a non technical person editing a hit counter through frontpage. For some reason they want an invisible hit counter... Frontpage doesn't seem to like linking an external image, can't find the image.

so that left php, but can't change the file extension... which is gay cause that's the easiest thing... so what options do I have? A javascript call to a perl program, but iis prob doesnt support perl by default. They just want to be able to read the hits from a text file...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I would say try find out why frontpage doesn't like the external image and resolve that. Perhaps outside of frontpage if that is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Ask them if they're just using it to see hjow many people visit the website. If thats the case there are lots of web stat tools out there that you can embed easily into your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

it's for an internal company site, so i dont think it's possible to use one of those free stats things. maybe i'll look into the frontpage thing again

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

If the data is being stored somewhere (i.e. in a db, application variable or text file) then could you not get them to design the page as they wish and simply provide an asp script that can be embedded in the frontpage code. Simply get the user to save the file as an asp page instead of a html page??

Just an idea
    -RD

Advertisement