Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just bought a LOCKED N95

• 22-05-2007 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

ok so on impulse and reading a few threads, reviews etc, i bought the N95 which is seemingly the dogs dangly bits, got it on ebay off a power seller with 100% feedback and around 5800 sales so hopefully its not a lemon.

the only problem is, it is locked to orange in the Uk, i'm wondering if i unlock it will it work here, bit late now i hear you say but i'm hoping it will...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

If you unlock it, it will blow up.

But no, if you unlock it it will work here just fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Like godskitchen said if you get it unlocked it will work here fine but I thought that they couldn't be unlocked without going through the network provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Sorry, but good luck getting it unlocked. BB5s have been a problem for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I wouldnt buy it if i were you. The N95 can only be unlocked by the network who sold it and they wont even talk to you because you're not the legal owner.

And no irish sims will work in it. Eg if its locked to vodafone uk a vodafone ireland sim wont work in it

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

culabula wrote:
    Sorry, but good luck getting it unlocked. BB5s have been a problem for years now.

What is BB5? the generation of phone or something? so it wont work here at all, is that what you're saying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Good luck in trying to get it unlocked :D
    Its not possible, its only possibe through your network provider but the seller can only get it for you

How much did it cost you?

What is BB5? the generation of phone or something? so it wont work here at all, is that what you're saying?

Yes, Nokia N-series and E-series phones for example. There is no point in buying this. It's locked to a foreign network and you are not the subscriber. Given how recently this came on the UK network there is no way that they have yet recouped their subsidy and they will not under any circumstances supply you with the unlocking code.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Looks like you should put the thing back up on ebay and try and recoup your loses.

it cost me 450, which aint too bad for it considering, will just have to get rid of it! the seller has to contact me yet anyway. Might chance those GSM dudes

it cost me 450, which aint too bad for it considering, will just have to get rid of it! the seller has to contact me yet anyway. Might chance those GSM dudes

I dont think those guys can unlock these.Make sure before you go.This type of phone can only be unlocked by nokia at the moment

• Advertisement

Looks like you should put the thing back up on ebay and try and recoup your loses.

I would agree with you.If you want a n95 in ireland.The best bet is to get it sim free and dont even think of getting a locked phone.

450€?? Oh well....

Can't see what the GSM dudes can do, there is no solution for BB5s. Some of the older ones were finally cracked recently but the rest remain totally unlockable by foul means.

culabula wrote:
    450€?? Oh well....

Can't see what the GSM dudes can do, there is no solution for BB5s. Some of the older ones were finally cracked recently but the rest remain totally unlockable by foul means.

Yeah you are right the old ones can be done but this wont be unlockable for afew months or even years.Exactly the same situation as the 6630.That phone is nearly 3 years old and was only unlockable last month

i have contacted the seller, only won it there an hour ago so he may let me not buy it, FINGERS CROSSED :o

i have contacted the seller, only won it there an hour ago so he may let me not buy it, FINGERS CROSSED :o

Yeah try your best and if you have to just tell him you will pay 5 pound for the troubles :D , So he wont give you bad feedback or give you a non paying strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

steppen wrote:
    call into GSM solutions at 28 north lotts, dublin 1. they should be able to help, also boards.ie members get a good discount
    they can't do an n95 yet

SORTED! he's taking it back and charging me a nominal fee for the transaction! cheers everyone

SORTED! he's taking it back and charging me a nominal fee for the transaction! cheers everyone

Glad you got it sorted.

Thats great as it was very difficult to get it unlocked.Jrey is selling them for 650 inc delivery so you can contact him if you want

Thanx everyone, really relieved now, would really like to see one working before i get it, hindsight is great!! Where does jrey work out of? is the gps any good on it? or the wireless, will it pick up routers at home etc?

• Advertisement

Thanx everyone, really relieved now, would really like to see one working before i get it, hindsight is great!! Where does jrey work out of? is the gps any good on it? or the wireless, will it pick up routers at home etc?

You can contact him through private mssage.He is based in Dublin 2 and has sold many of these through boards.ie
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=30730

Good for you! Only buy one that was on O2 UK or an unlocked jobbie from play.com or the guys on here.

Lucky escape.

culabula wrote:
    Good for you! Only buy one that was on O2 UK or an unlocked jobbie from play.com or the guys on here.

Lucky escape.

Yeah he was lucky as some people dont return items :)

GPS is stunningly accurate.

In my experience the wifi has not performed as well as it does on the E61. But it's just a minor complaint in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

culabula wrote:

Lucky escape.

Just out of curiosity more than anything - will one locked to Vodafone UK or 3 UK not function with an equivalent Irish network sim? I've been tempted on ebay by the N73 on a couple of occasions...

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Just out of curiosity more than anything - will one locked to Vodafone UK or 3 UK not function with an equivalent Irish network sim? I've been tempted on ebay by the N73 on a couple of occasions...

Why not just buy sim free phones they are much easier to sell and hassle free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

drdre wrote:
    Why not just buy sim free phones they are much easier to sell and hassle free

Of course - but what of my original question... will a locked phone on Voda UK or 3 UK work with an equivalent Irish sim?

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Of course - but what of my original question... will a locked phone on Voda UK or 3 UK work with an equivalent Irish sim?

I think it should work.But im not 100% sure

• Advertisement

Irish Wolf wrote:

A 3UK phone won't accept an 3Ireland sim if I remember corectly. Not sure about the vodafone though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement