Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey Crow

Options
  • 22-05-2007 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hello,

A new house was built recently.

Lately, a grey crow keeps coming to the house and pecking at the windows.

Why would he do this???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

More than likely he is seeing his image in the glass and is getting territorial. It could also be that he is pecking at insects on the window; the magpies around here do that sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

More than likely he is seeing his image in the glass and is getting territorial. It could also be that he is pecking at insects on the window; the magpies around here do that sometimes.

How would you stop him from doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

That is hard to do with hoodies I think; they are agressive little buggers!!:p

With magpies I find that putting up a blind works... or something to reduce the reflectiveness of the glass...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I've seen grey crows poke the eyes out of newly born lambs...
    Horrible feckers so they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

nollaig wrote:
    Hello,

A new house was built recently.

Lately, a grey crow keeps coming to the house and pecking at the windows.

Why would he do this???
    If you have putty in the windows then they are after that. I had similar problems years back and had to put threads across the frames to keep them off. Removed the threads after a year and they were straight back. It took 2 years to get rid of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

fits wrote:
    I've seen grey crows poke the eyes out of newly born lambs...
    Horrible feckers so they are.

Please say thats not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

If the ewe is weak after the birth and the lamb is vulnerable, they're in like a shot...
    Thats nature for you. It really is cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

This crow is a hooded crow as boneless eluded to :) They really can be persistent alright.

As for pecking out the eyeballs of lambs, crows are generally carrion feeders and have a habit of taking easy pickings. If you watch Pirates of The Carribbean 2: Dead Mans Chest you will see at the start that some live captured pirates are left hanging in a cage and the crows land on the cages and start pecking their eyes out. This was a common punishment for many criminals in many parts of the world during the middle ages...

I like crows, maybe it's the sadist in me
    /searches for evil smilie >-)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭liberty 2007

nollaig wrote:
    How would you stop him from doing it?

Hi, had the same problem last year, two gray crows, the kids thought the birds were going insane, every morning from 5am. I told a friend who had a shotgun, problem solved.

Advertisement