Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for the bee keepers

Options
  • 22-05-2007 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

I just spent a couple of minutes in my back garden watching a pretty ginormous bee rooting around in the grass. It looked like it was digging, really.
    Any ideas what it could have been doing? Do bees forage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Was it a bumble bee? Or could it have been a hornet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

well, it looked like a bee and nothing at all like a wasp - furry, big bum, that kind of thing :) I'll see if it's still there - yup - it's flying off, but coming back to the same spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cadrach

Where do you live? Some bees and wasps burrow in the soil. When I lived in America I used to occasionally come across huge Cicada Killer Wasps that did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Could've been a bumble bee. They can have nests in underground burrows, and round this time of year they'll be building up the numbers of workers in preparation for the queen to lay the eggs that will become next years queens.

I'm in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

It was a bumble bee so.. Alun is right they can burrow underground.
    working bees look like wasps only they're brown rather than yellow.

ah right! didn't know that. So is it just a place to rest, or something more permanent, do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The have small colonies that will live in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Truther

Does anyone know if its true that honey-bees are dying out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

They are on the decline for a few reasons but at the moment they are suffering from a mite infestation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Yes most likely a bombus terrestris or bombus lucorum bumble bee queen rooting around for somewhere to nest.

Advertisement