Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The X delusion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

cavedave wrote:

Imo, the astronomy needed to be done to show that the universe must be older than 12000 years is much easier to get one's head around and observe than evolution. But I think you're putting the horse before the cart a little here; for the most part it's the religious who feel the need to refute evolution, not atheists having a particular affinity for it. But indeed, why the religious have it in for evolution so bad is a bit mysterious to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

cavedave wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBkUWbFjdpg&mode=related&search=

Just on the subject on believing things you cannot prove. :D

Is it because the theory of evolution is easier to understand then the physics involved in the big bang that it is used as evidence that the bible is inaccurate? Geology, cosmology, archeology, astronomy etc all prove the earth is older then 5 thousand years old buy no one says "teach the controversy" with them. Why do atheists rely on biological evolution so much?

It's more the other way round, really. "Atheists" defend evolution a lot because it gets attacked a lot - and it's Creationists who say "teach the controversy".

This is, I think, because no-one has any really beef with the hills being very old, or the Universe very big, but nearly everyone thinks of humanity as 'special' (which almost every religion tells them it is) - they don't want to hear that we're just another species, so attacking evolution (which says exactly that) attracts much more support.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I agree. It's definitely a "we are not just animals" thing.

But I agree with cavedave, in that the evolution is easier for the layman to explain than astrophysics. And of course it directly contradicts the bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I agree. It's definitely a "we are not just animals" thing.

But I agree with cavedave, in that the evolution is easier for the layman to explain than astrophysics. And of course it directly contradicts the bible.

Certainly that's another strong reason. After all, the Bible says nothing about geology or astrophysics.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement