Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes for dogs.

Options
  • 22-05-2007 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

What do you think about dressing your dog up? I would not be a supporter of dog clothes. But of course if you're dog is cold a rug is fine I think, but otherwise I think it looks ridiculous when people dress up their dogs.
    What do you think?
    Annika

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Poppy84

Personnally i think some of the clothes can be OTT though in saying that we do have 2 jackets for our cocker spaniel. We mainly use them when he is put outside on real cold winter days, seeing as he's use to being inside dont want him to catch a cold. Also when he's just back from the groomers and is all clean if we're going for a walk we'll pop it on him then minimise the dirt.

oh he also has a santa scarf but thats just cute for christmas.

And I can honestly say he loves em and is very content with them.

I like the practical ones but hate the fluffly pink things and that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

My whippety boy would freeze without his coat during the winter I think. I plan on getting him a thicker/warmer one, and perhaps a jumper for indoors on really cold days.
    The borzoi cross doesnt need one for warmth, but I plan on getting him a rain sheet so he doesnt come in soaked all the time.

My family think I'm loony, not only as I have dogs indoors and lurchers at that, but I put clothes on them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

I find some people buy clothes to make their dogs part of their fashion accessories! Some things for short haired breeds in winter are fine. My fiance wants to buy a devil outfit (horns and red coat) or angel oufit (wings lol) for our pup for halloween! make our one the angel and my sisters a devil so he can dress up!!! For the record we don't have a child! :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

corkimp, haha! I suspected that you didin't have any children!
    fits, well as I said it's one thing if the dog is cold and actually needs to have a coat on but to dress them up just to look cute I don't agree with.

Annika

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I bought a track suit last year for my retriever, while on holidays in Spain. He loves wearing it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

People who dress up their dogs need to be publicly flogged. It looks ridiculous for you and most importantly your dog. Don't embarrass them any further.:mad:
    I know a dog that needs shoes because they are allergic to grass, thats fine for medical reasons, otherwise cop on. Ah calm, blue ocean...calm, blue ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cas_k

Any idea where I could buy some nice dog clothes... I've promised my God Dog I'd get him something nice for summer time... that angel outfit sounds like a plan if you know where I coud get one :rolleyes:

I forgot to say, the whippety boy also has a metal plate in one of his legs, which will cause him pain in cold weather (he has no flesh and very little hair on his legs), so leg warmers are looking a distinct possibility!

:D:D:D:D Yes keep calm now;)

Annika30 wrote:
    :D:D:D:D Yes keep calm now;)

maybe just one leg warmer then...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Only if they are funny!

hotdog.jpg

superdog.jpg

yodacaninepic.jpg

(Although to be honest even that makes me uncomfortable)

lol ya. My fiance never owned a dog so our pup will be spoilt! As for the angel outfit - we'd get a kids angel wings and put a bt of fluff or feathers on her collar (ya crazy!) As for devil ( my fella dressed up as one too!) he was thinking of an animal friendly wash in and wash out colour - not sure that'd go down well!!!
    I'm more maternal over animals then I am children!!! lol thought the pup might buy me time before he starts hinting again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

You dont need to put anything on your dogs most dogs are ment to be out side so they can cope with most weather

I can't help but to laugh:D , but I would never dress my dogs up like that.

go onto google search. pick images and type in dogs dressed up. Some are cool. a pug as a big spider (that'd freak me ot actually) a dog as a viking and one poor dog covered in green for patricks day

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

yogidc26 wrote:
    You dont need to put anything on your dogs most dogs are ment to be out side so they can cope with most weather
    The dogs (Alaskan huskies) that take part in long distance dogsledding races like the Yukon Quest and the Iditarod sometimes wear coats if the temperature drops low enough, and they'd be pretty hardy dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Dressing up your dog for the laugh is pretty funny :)

Other than that no no and no! Never. They are dogs not children...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Personally I think its stupid! Except for dogs that suffer with the cold or have medical conditions & wear coats etc when out walking - but sailor suits or angels & devils is just silly!

Mind you I also get blooming annoyed at the people who say how can I train my monkey to wear clothes!!!!!!!!!!!! The responses to that can not be said on most sites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭junglequestions

Any idea where I could buy some nice dog clothes... I've promised my God Dog I'd get him something nice for summer time... that angel outfit sounds like a plan if you know where I coud get one

Take a look on www.hartonpaw.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

With the exception of medical reasons I think it's despicable and degrading to the dog. (and that includs stupid ribbons)

I have no respect whatsover for people who do this to their animals.

kadjingg ...another 0.02 Euro well spent :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I have a wee brown jacket I out on my doggie the odd time in winter. He likes it and there are even little pockets for his smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

if i see a dog wearing clothes other than a short haired dog with a functional coat on a cold day, i would conclude that the owner is a complete prick. and i'd be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

peasant wrote:
    With the exception of medical reasons I think it's despicable and degrading to the dog. (and that includs stupid ribbons)

I have no respect whatsover for people who do this to their animals.

kadjingg ...another 0.02 Euro well spent :D

ok, i confess, my dog had a ribbon on her collar on christmas day

and because she's badass, i could be tempted to put a sheriff's badge on her collar, so everyone would know she don't take crap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

A normal rug (like what a horse wears) for a thin-skinned or finely-coated breed (e.g greyhound) on a cold day- Yes.

Paris Hilton types with their tiny dogs wearing t-shirts in the middle of summer- no.

I lived in San Francisco last summer and the amount of people going around in the 35'C heat with jumpers on their dogs. I mean a person would be sweating in a light cotton vest, putting a t-shirt on a dog (who already has a coat of fur) in that heat is just cruel. A lot of the dogs over there are pugs as well, I mean surely they're even more prone to the heat with their squashed noses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Our dogs have collars with bandanas on them. Also rain jackets with little boots because they are bichons so white and fluffy + walkies in the rain = total mess. For Halloween we have a ladybird costume for one. A friend of my parents sent us a mac and a hoodie 2 Christmasses ago and they are adorable. One of our dogs came to us with very little fur so she was wearing the hoodie as she was shivering with the cold. We also got her a little tiara she can wear for photos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

My golden retriever had to have a coat (similar to a horse rug) due to the fact that he had a rare skin dissorder and always had poor hair. He had no undercoat and the patches would be generally was on the top of his back and sides. It came in spurts and really bad cases he would have no hair at all in patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

There are two types of clothing for dogs.
    1. Practical, as in a body warmer for a dog in cold weather.

2. Dress-up-like-a-human type clothes and sometimes even booties :rolleyes:

The latter is totally degrading to a dog IMO

ya it is a bit unfair but then again my fella's totally crazy!! Who knows maybe for charity or something. I find dogs in matching clothes to their owners - yuck!!! their the dogs i pity - fashion accessories.Oh my fella picked out the bandana collar for our pup - it was either that (in red) or a neon orange collar and lead!!!! which would you rather!:eek:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I have to say that most people who dress up their dogs are trying to make them become little human babies, where in reality they are animals.

I think that they can do without the fuss of getting tangled up in clothes and would be much freer without. I have no problem with rugging up a dog if he/she is allergic or if cold is a real issue. Otherwise it's a no no, poor dogs being turned into idiots......

• Advertisement
Advertisement