Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babies in hijabs? HUH?

• 22-05-2007 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

Ok. A beautiful NYC summer day. About 26.6 Celcsius out. I see a woman in a full burkha with two daughters. One is about three years old. The other one couldnt be more than 18 months still in the baby carrier/sling and both little girls were wearing black hijabs.

This cant be right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Maybe it is right and maybe it isn't. Hey it's New York roll with it.
    It is more common to see children at the beach in normal (western) beach clothes and their mothers in black overcoats and head scarves.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Ok. A beautiful NYC summer day. About 26.6 Celcsius out. I see a woman in a full burkha with two daughters. One is about three years old. The other one couldnt be more than 18 months still in the baby carrier/sling and both little girls were wearing black hijabs.

This cant be right?

You say its not right, Others say it is. Thats up to them to decide not you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

If you notice, I put a question mark at the end of the sentence.

Besides, I can have an opinion and if I want to say it's not right then I can. No one has to agree with me.

MM I have never seen what you describe at the beach. What beach do you go to?

Maybe a mod should move this to humantities or parenting before the sanctimonious PC brigade come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

They are kids, one is a baby, I think its wrong. :)

If you notice, I put a question mark at the end of the sentence.

Besides, I can have an opinion and if I want to say it's not right then I can. No one has to agree with me.

MM I have never seen what you describe at the beach. What beach do you go to?

Maybe a mod should move this to humantities or parenting before the sanctimonious PC brigade come out.

I understand you have an opinion but some muslims are more religious than others and this family must be really religious.I wouldnt agree with it fully myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Why do Americans make small kids wear clothes?
    MV I have seen mothers in heavy clothes and children in beach clothes a few times. Most recently at the 40 foot beach a couple of weeks ago.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

One is about three years old. The other one couldnt be more than 18 months still in the baby carrier/sling and both little girls were wearing black hijabs.
    This cant be right?
    If this is how the mother dresses her children, she is doing it off her own bat. It's certainly not a duty for an eighteen month old and a three year old to be observing Hijab.

Is it wrong? I don't know, it's certainly a bad idea to have small kids get overheated in that sort of weather; but we should be clear that Islam does not necessitate little children to observe Hijab as adults do. Personally, I do have a problem with when it restricts the child or effects his or her behaviour or playing.

And don't forget, there are health reasons for wrapping one's children up at the beach, just like straw hats and sun umbrellas:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

drdre wrote:
    You say its not right, Others say it is. Thats up to them to decide not you

When you say its up to them to decide, have you forgotten the kids?

Lets not forget that the 18month old is not a Muslim child but a child with Muslim parents. This child has no concept of what religion is. Thus it is a case of parents forcing beliefs on a child. Now I know this i generally accepted. However this is going a bit far is it not? Does it mean that perhaps we should go back to the delivery room and shroud the female child when it is born?

Please do not take offence in what I say. I am not anti-Muslim and I agree with everyones right to have religion and wear the Hijjab etc. but maybe not babies..............

PoleStar wrote:
    When you say its up to them to decide, have you forgotten the kids?

Lets not forget that the 18month old is not a Muslim child but a child with Muslim parents. This child has no concept of what religion is. Thus it is a case of parents forcing beliefs on a child. Now I know this i generally accepted. However this is going a bit far is it not? Does it mean that perhaps we should go back to the delivery room and shroud the female child when it is born?

Please do not take offence in what I say. I am not anti-Muslim and I agree with everyones right to have religion and wear the Hijjab etc. but maybe not babies..............
    I agree with you.As i mentioned before some families are more religious.My parents have never forced me to go to the mosque but some parents would like their kids to become good muslims and the way they do it is educate their children from a young age.But 18 months is too young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Maybe it was Michael Jackson's nanny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Why do Americans make small kids wear clothes?

I cnn't comment on the Hijab but if it is a baby your normally supposed to give it +1 layer then you would need. For example if you have to wear a t-shirt they should wear a top + t-shirt. They don't retain heat well.

^ Not true. People overheat their kids all the time. Babies have higher thermostats than we do.

When its too hot out in the US you often see babies lolling about in their strollers with just a vest and some diapers.

But parents will clothe them to protect baby skin from the harsh summmer sun. Additionally there are environmental factors , like dirt and debris.

Really MM its common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Nah, this is dumb. Sorry, I had to say. Covering up a small child like this is just odd and potentially dangerous. It also has no foundation in religion. However, if that what the parent chooses to do thats there right. Just as its my right to consider it odd.

^ Actually no. It is not the parent right to do whatever they want to their kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

^ Actually no. It is not the parent right to do whatever they want to their kids.

I should have added as long as it isn't against the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

That old saying comes to mind........

.............."you need a licence for a dog but not to have children".

Most would agree I think that shrouding children is a bit extreme. And surely we have to look at what is right for the child as opposed to what is right for the parents. I have no problem with parents brining up their children in whatever religion they wish. But this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

No religious foundation at all for doing something like this. It's a bit ridiculous and I might go so far as to say it's wrong.

^

Yep. Im going to lump it in the same category with 9 year old girls who dress like whores and Irish parents whose kids turn blue at the beach.

Advertisement