Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Age poll

Options
  • 22-05-2007 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

layke wrote:
    Actually i'd like to do an age poll on how old our car modders actually are here and what the average is. Might throw one up in the Modded motors forum, i'm just curious as it's been pointed out half of us may lose our interest after x years.

Well folks just trying to see what our average age is to satisfy my own curiousity.

Please do not vote if:

You are not a car modder.
    You consider your car 'modded' by having tinted windows, alloys and a clamp on exhaust.
    You own a bog standard Glanza or the like as these are factory tuned and not what I would consider modded.

This has been sparked by This thread in case anyone fancies a read.

Basically I have a theory that most car modders will be above 23. Now I could be totally wrong here but we'll find out shortly although hopefully it will draw a line between what people call boy racers and actual modders.

Finally i've never done a poll so if it ends up arseways can a mod fix it for me please :p

Modders tell your age. 18 votes

17-20
    0% 0 votes
    21-25
    16% 3 votes
    26-30
    44% 8 votes
    30+
    33% 6 votes
    I'm not a car modder but I feel like voting anyway.
    5% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

"I have a theory that most car modders will be above 23"

i would have widened the gap a bit more if you wanna find this out, cool poll by the way, i think you will find your theory is right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

19 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stephenpl

19 here aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

IMHO, most people that mod there cars with cheap easy bolt/stick on bits that are going to be the younger end of the spectrum, example, the bolt on back boxes for "the sound". The people that are more into the serious mods would be older. Simple reason, for example getting your Supra modded to pump out 800bhp is not cheap and gives insurance companys a heart attack if you are young, so no point doing that if you are sub 30.....having said that, it does all depend what you call modified, i know some people that call their car modified as it has a new headunit and speakers.....erm NOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

But that's exactly the point. Being called a Boy racer means your younger driver that hockies about the place. Yet people fail at distinguishing between a car modder and a BR. The term boy racer annoys me quite a bit when I get called one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

interesting topic this., im 22 and have been into "modding" since i was 17 with my first 91 civic special edition. im not the boy racer type either and it kinda gets on my nerves the way we are all assumed to be a gang of dangerous bastards with a point to prove,.,

Nice age distribution, a lot of the car modders here are also in the age group most likely to be boy racers...........and very few are older people.

I think it's just a tag we have to live with for now, serious modders will be easily distinguished from boy racers by the lack of the "for sale" sign and decent quality components not from a Halfords bargain bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭eoinhealy

28 years old.

Only drive cars above 2.0L so I recon any car I have done can be honestly called modified. But I dont put Big exhausts on any car. Think they are the worst things in the world. Keep my baby awake.

A car does not have to be painted bright yellow or have a masive head unit attached to a couple of subs to be modified. I reckon that to be truly modified you must increase the bhp by at least 20%.... and dont forget to fit new brakes and disks cause when you increase you engine power you need to make sure your brakes can stop you safely.

To eoinhealy: I agree that increasing the BHP would be modding but it's not the only way to mod and engine size is irrelevant, I have seen beautifully modified cars from 500cc up to 5000cc. I disagree though with people that think changing the back box for a louder one is modding. It's not, it's changing one component for another which does not do the job as well making it louder and generally annoying (Funny how a 3.0 Straight 6 with a big back box imo is not annoying, but a 1.2 Corsa with one is) Changing your head unit for a new headunit is not modding. Driving an unusual car (say FTO/Mr2/RX8/EVo/Sti for examples) is not driving a modified if the car is still manafacturer spec. You cannot buy a brand new modified car.

Someone installing a big stereo is modding, but only part of it. Adding bodykit is modding, re-trimming the interior is modding, engine tuning is modding, suspension and brake changes are modding. A properly modified car imo would have elements of some of the above and many more not listed but does not need any single one of them.

not modding is imo changing the seats in a bog standard model to those from a GTi, bolting on a different spoiler to the one the manafacturer did

For me a proper mod either adds some function (increased bhp, better brakes, better suspension, real downforce) or adds some aesthetics (re-trimmed interior from cloth to leather, proper ICE install above standard).

Advertisement