Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can [Wi-Fi] broadband damage your health?

Options
  • 22-05-2007 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Panorama had an interesting program last night on the possible health consequences of using Wifi broadband. You can watch the program , or get a synopsis of it - of course you may damage your health by doing so :).

Note that the link to watch the program is on the home page of the show, at the moment, and is likely to be replaced next week.

M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its complete nonsense. There are studies to show everything about anything. There is no evidence and there is no problem as far as I'm concerned because I don't believe they will find any evidence that it causes health problems.

There are different types of radiation and people associate the word with bad things automatically so of course the media love these types of stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That program shows depths of gutter journalism BBC has decended to.

Not science.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Yup, it is sad to see what the BBC has ended up as. All it needed was a catchy red top headline for the program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I second Ronan|Raven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Should that not be, Can 'wifi' damage your health?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 healthwise

hi guys

interesting topic but no fundamental result. I dont see how these wifi or broadband can damage health. But there are other computer related health damage. Maybe we dont know of right now and then scientist will come up with new names and new diseases like always..

Charlene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

healthwise wrote:
    hi guys

interesting topic but no fundamental result. I dont see how these wifi or broadband can damage health. But there are other computer related health damage. Maybe we dont know of right now and then scientist will come up with new names and new diseases like always..

Charlene

Why do scientists always get the credit, this is pure engineering. Base technology developed decades ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

this blog entry has a nice take on it too
    http://cochrane.org.uk/opinion/articles/silicon/2007/29-05-2007.php

.brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moonbeam wrote:
    I like it, I like it a lot. So much so that it'll become (in part) my new sig.

Just like mobile phones, when they first became popular, there'll be a limited time when WIFI is dangerous to your health. Give it a year and there'll be no more mention of it. Didn't you know that microwave ovens and TVs kill people by the millions too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hahajor el, love the sig I really do, :)
    love the link more. sums things up nicely :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tunisia_x

Mr Man, I think cell phones will give more ill effects than WIFI. Cell phone is about 2 watts and more frequently use by people than WIFI. and the The EMF field being generated from the earth and pretty much everything in our world negates any dangers that you might think WiFi poses to us. There's no way to get away from it all, so just embrace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

And Cell phones have not proved to cause harm. Not a single death proven to cellphone or wifi rf. How many people die from Bees, Peanuts, Crossing road, hit by lightning, trees falling on them, car accidents, falling off bicycle etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well just look at cars. Their all around us, constantly pumping out crap thats has been proven to damage you health and the environment, yet people don't see bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I would also like to add that the largest study of mobile phone usage released a while ago from Norway (I think), examined people over a 20 year period and came back with results that the those exposed to mobile phone usage had a lower rate of cancer than the group that did not use mobile phones.

Not so significant that you'd say that mobile phones reduce the risk of getting cancer but good enough to show that they do not really increase the risk of getting cancer.

Advertisement