Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jinns

• 22-05-2007 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

"And the jinns did He create from a smokeless flame of fire."

Does this imply that one is obliged to believe in jinns to be a good Muslim?
    How is this constructed; how is this verse explained?

MM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Does this imply that one is obliged to believe in jinns to be a good Muslim?
    Hi MM. To be a good Muslim you must believe the Qur'an, and the Qur'an supports evidence for the existence of jinns, so it appears to follow logically that yes, this is the case.
    However, the nature of jinns, who they are, how they live, is more debated. I think there is a lot of superstition attached to jinns that really has no derivation in Islam, such as linking jinns exclusively to schizophrenia which doesn't appear to be backed up anywhere.
    How is this constructed; how is this verse explained?
    Can you expand on that question? This reference to the jinns comes up in the context of a warning about the spreading of falsehoods about God's judgement of his creation, you can read the translated surah in its entirity here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

Scientists in Pakistan in the 80s wrote some papers on harnessing the energy of jinns. I can't find exact articles on it, but this link gives an idea behind that sort of thinking: http://http://www.free-minds.org/articles/satan/jinn.htm. All the major religions evolved at time when scientific knowledge was limited, to put it mildly. There's always a danger to interpreting the writings of the time literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Truther

Are jinns evil or good?

Scary vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73LOtOeJQm8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

As far as I know, some are evil and some are good. The good ones prefer to keep to themselves and the evil ones are afraid of believers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

How is this constructed; how is this verse explained?[/URL]
    InFront wrote:
    Can you expand on that question? This reference to the jinns comes up in the context of a warning about the spreading of falsehoods about God's judgement of his creation, you can read the translated surah in its entirity here

Hi InFront, I suppose I mean how do secularist Muslims explain the verse away; if people don't really believe in Genies.

MM

• Advertisement

I find jinns interesting, only found out about them today. What exactly are they? What are their purposes? What do they do? Are they slaves for God? Can they harm you? Can they take any form like a tree or something like that? Can they, for example, take a form of a horse and start mating with other horses? Can jinns take form of something that has never seen before, like a new type of species, and then start mating with other "jinns" to create more of these species? Are jinns those 2 spirits that are always with you who can tell if something is bad and good? Sorry for all the questions :D

Truther wrote:
    What exactly are they?
    They are creations of God, similar to humans, who share the Earth and behave like to us in some respects. They differ in characteristics, and are not visible to us.
    Can they harm you?
    Yes, they can have negative influences. But there are ways to avoid the harm, such as saying 'Bismillah' (in the name of God), or reciting the surat Al-Falaq, for example.
    Can they, for example, take a form of a horse
    They can take the form of animals, yes... not sure about your question on mating though, I've never come across anything about that.
    Are jinns those 2 spirits that are always with you who can tell if something is bad and good?
    No, they don't really relate to the human conscience in that way, ideally they just live seperately to people:)

Thanks for the answers :)

Sure, anytime... some more information here if you'd like to read it
    http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam/AskAboutIslamE/AskAboutIslamE&cid=1123996015532
    how do secularist Muslims explain the verse away
    I suppose a secularist Muslim could still believe in jinns, since his feelings are more to do with demoting Islam as a focus of progress in society and Government, and not really influencing personal belief in jinns.
    While it is necessary for Muslims to believe in jinns because it comes from the Qur'an and hadith, it isn't a compulsory belief to be forced on everyone regardless of their faith.

Advertisement