Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network issue with PC and broadband router

Options
  • 22-05-2007 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭

My sister wants to get a 2nd pc up and running with ntl broadband, she was supplied with a 205 modem and has a netgear router attached to this, her laptop works fine through this but her desktop (the one im trying to get up and running for her isnt getting on)

heres what ive done

1) Ive powered off all devices (this according to the ntlfaq page on ntlworld), and unplugged the cable from the pc im trying to get connected, waited 30 seconds and replugged everything in, turned on the computer and checked the ip addy with the cable plugged in and its picking up the ip 192.168 addy, which is what i expected to do with it being a netgear, but again no internet, page cannot be displayed message

2) Did a ping to the router to see if they were communictaing, says 100% loss, very strange considering it has an ip assigned by the router

3) Got ntls IP and dns settings and put those into the tcp/ip properties and tested again nothing no page to display

laptop works pefectly via the wire and the desktop is also connected via the wire yet this doesnt connect am i missing something here, a specific ntl setting or whats the story

Cheers

Shin

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

shinzon wrote:
    My sister wants to get a 2nd pc up and running with ntl broadband, she was supplied with a 205 modem and has a netgear router attached to this, her laptop works fine through this but her desktop (the one im trying to get up and running for her isnt getting on)

heres what ive done

1) Ive powered off all devices (this according to the ntlfaq page on ntlworld), and unplugged the cable from the pc im trying to get connected, waited 30 seconds and replugged everything in, turned on the computer and checked the ip addy with the cable plugged in and its picking up the ip 192.168 addy, which is what i expected to do with it being a netgear, but again no internet, page cannot be displayed message

2) Did a ping to the router to see if they were communictaing, says 100% loss, very strange considering it has an ip assigned by the router

3) Got ntls IP and dns settings and put those into the tcp/ip properties and tested again nothing no page to display

laptop works pefectly via the wire and the desktop is also connected via the wire yet this doesnt connect am i missing something here, a specific ntl setting or whats the story

Cheers

Shin

Obvious I know but is the ethernet cable to the pc definitely working?

Have you ever used the network card on that pc before?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the pc network card just to make sure everything is hunky dory?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

dub45 wrote:
    Obvious I know but is the ethernet cable to the pc definitely working?

Have you ever used the network card on that pc before?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the pc network card just to make sure everything is hunky dory?

1) Yep

2) No

3) Yep

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Can you ping the pc from the laptop?

Make sure the pc is picking up ip settings via DHCP (ie, you haven't defined static addresses, unless thats exactly what you want to do)

Either way, it's not an NTL/broadband/router problem, it'll be a problem with the configuration of the PC. I'll move this thread over to Nets/Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

What does IPConfig return?

Is there a Firewall on the PC? If so try disabling it temporarily.

Can you connect to the Router's set-up page?

Are the IP settings in TCP/IP properties set for DHCP or is a fixed address there?

Is Internet Explorer set to use the LAN in it's properties?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

IPCONFIG has the ip address 192.168.1.2

Firewall - nope

Connect to the router page on the laptop yes on the desktop no

its set to dhcp

Internet explorer had a load of dial up connections and vpn stuff in there cleared all that out and made sure it was set to use the lan

I havent got access to the computer for 2 weeks cause the sister has gone on holidays, but ill see what happens when she gets back, she seems to remember some sort of disk she used to setup the laptop up but couldnt find it as my nephew has it in his room somewhere and cant remember where he put it :(

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Are you connecting Laptop & PC at same time to router?

If so what address is the Laptop getting?

Have you tried connecting PC only?

Where did the VPN stuff come from? Was the PC used in an office before?

Is it possible theres a script which is run on Bootup which affects the Network connection?

Advertisement