Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

china's zoos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Disturbing yes, surprising no.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Lots of animals are still treated this way - tiny cages - monkeys dressed up to act like animal babies - tis nasty & cruel, yet I doubt things will change much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

As long as people pay to go and see these animals preform it's not going to change.
    Annika

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

That actually made me feel sick :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

anybody read the metro today? it shows a zoo in china feeding a live cow to tigers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bex01

That was horrible to see. I can't beleive they feed live animals to the tigers for peoples amusement, thats sick.
    Whats with China, I know our animal welfare in Ireland isn't great but China really haven't a clue. Most of the horror stories about animals I read lately are from China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

Now that is sick and horrible, what makes it worse is the people that pay to go see it and take part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

anybody read the metro today? it shows a zoo in china feeding a live cow to tigers

been too busy to, but as i read that i opened it up and saw it - shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I travelled through China last year, and avoided zoo's like the plague. Asia in general really isn't the best place for animal rights - the things I saw along the way would bring a tear to your eye.

One thing I will give them credit for is the Panda Breeding Centre in Chengdu. Its fantastic! I'm very pro animal rights, and don't go to every place that calls itself a refuge or sanctuary (they're usually more interested in the tourist dollar than the animals welfare). Anyway, it was a brilliantly laid out centre, healthy happy pandas and spacious enclosures. So its not *all* bad in China. (didn't read the article though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Aaarggh - hearing about China's animal "rights" always aggravates me.

Medieval ain't the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I saw the news report yesterday and was shocked but not surprised. After about ten minutes the cow was still moaning while been torn asunder. Meanwhile tour busses full of parents with children as young as four circled the scene gleefully enjoying themselves. The children's gleefull reaction shocked me as much as the horrible scene. Some hope of China's next generation respecting animals :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Fine I agree this is horrible but I'll only saw one thing! If these animals are - supposedly - being rehabilitated to go back into the wild, it won't work! for one, in the wild, they would have to hunt for their food, not sit patiently for trucks to drive by dropping off cattle or feeding chickens. They will just encourage th etigers to go into villages after chickens and cattle. Not liekly they will be released mind you. I'm ok with animals being fed to tigers - unfortunately it is a part of life that they kill for food. But those tigers are just doing it for fun - like a cat with a mouse. As for the twice daily shows - that is cruel. Tigers don't need to eat that often once maybe a day or even 2 days but not twice in one day. You can see they don't have the hunger drive to kill.
    I have a pretty strong stomach so able to watch that (but not most horro films - don't ask me why!). It may be cruel but as I said fact of lfe. I felt sorry for a lion cub being trampled and mauled to death by buffalo - he gave a bite on the bulls nose before being killed. c'est la vie

Advertisement