Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharp 42" LCD

Options
  • 22-05-2007 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting this Sharp tv:

http://www.sharp.co.uk/invt/lc42xd1ea

I'm wearry of buying a tv online and would prefer to buy it in a shop in Dublin.
    The best price I've seen so far is €1799 in Powercity.

Has anyone seen this in Dublin for cheaper?

Thanks

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tmalmb

I got an LG 47" LCD fromAldi for €1700, top quality at a great price. Would highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

The Sharp is better. Check out the latest HHC magazine, it won the group test and was awarded the best buy award. Mine should be here any day now! :D

It's also won
    Winner: BEST BUY - What Video & High-Definition TV

Winner: BEST BUY - AV Review group test: Plasma vs LCD 42in

I'll post some pictures this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

The Sharp LCD is the one for me - just a matter of finding it at a good price.

I'm very wearly about something like this online.

I emailed Electrical Experience and I wasn't blown away by their responses to be honest. Plus, I can't guarantee there will be someone at my house to collect the tv.

€1799 is expensive but the best price I've found so far in the shops in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

There was one for sale on adverts only a week ago for €1400, with extended warranty. You might find one there for cheaper than in store.

I'd advise you to check out avforums, there's a massive thread dedicated to this model. I think the consensus is that there are some faulty models. AFAIK the ones supplied to DID are the 'Q' serial numbers (no problems). But it's no harm to double check and if you're not too sure DID do an extended warranty.

I picked mine up today and got it set up. I have to say I'm very impressed. The blacks are the best I've seen on any LCD tv! Check out the picture below. That is just a normal DVD being played and it looks almost HD quality but I think that's down to the DVD player. I'll check out some more 1080p stuff tomorrow to see how good that looks.

So far I'm really happy and not one dead pixel! :D

sharp.jpg

• Advertisement

Have to say, THAT LOOKS COOL!

General Grevious never looked better :-)

Did you get it from Electrical Experience? How did you find them?

JohnnyFlav - where did you see it advertised for €1400?

Thanks

K

They couldn't give me an expected due date so I cancelled my order with them and went with www.avcdirect.co.uk.

I ordered it on Monday and it arrive on Friday morning but wasn't getting delivered till Monday so I drove down to Naas and picked it up myself.
    :)

There is some postal depo in Naas where this can be collected?

It would suit me a lot more to collect than have it delivered.

Thanks

You can collect it from the depo in Naas (DSV Ireland) but you don't save any money. It just saved me having to wait till Monday.

If you can get the TV here you would be better off buying it here but finding them in stock may be a problem. Anywhere I went wouldn't have them in for ages and I needed it yesterday. :D

Kenpo wrote:
    Have to say, THAT LOOKS COOL!

JohnnyFlav - where did you see it advertised for €1400?

It was on www.adverts.ie the link is at the top of the page. It was second hand with three year warranty.

Just out of curiousity, how much did it total from avcdirect? I would consider the upgrade if I knew how much post and other costs came to.
    Ta

• Advertisement

It ended up costing €1,700 euros. Lucky for me my Sunderland bet paid for it. :D

Sounds very tempting, must wait for a little while before I blow any more cash on AV equipment. Maybe after the Summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

How much was delivery?

About 200 euros

Anti-Virus, can you confirm your Sharp TV has a VGA port?

Thanks

K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

AntiVirus wrote:
    That is just a normal DVD being played and it looks almost HD quality but I think that's down to the DVD player. I'll check out some more 1080p stuff tomorrow to see how good that looks.

Anti-Virus...that's a good looking picture there. I picked up the same model a couple of months back but am not getting anywhere near the same quality pic, so I'm hoping it's down to the DVD player.

What DVD player are you using, and would you mind posting your display settings please?

Would appreciate it.

madds wrote:
    What DVD player are you using, and would you mind posting your display settings please?

Would appreciate it.

The DVD player I'm using is the Philips DVP 5960. It upscales to 720p, 1080p and a few other sizes. You can see from the paused movie how good it handles the upscaling. I picked one of these DivX DVD players from argos a few months ago for about 100 euros.

Powercity have the newer model Philips DVP5980 for 100 euros which is probably better! :D

I have that exact model - can't wait to get my sharp now :-)

I have that exact model - can't wait to get my sharp now :-)

You'll love it Kempo! :)

• Advertisement

Don't suppose you got a chance to test the VGA port on the Sharp?

Advertisement