Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riddle me this..

Options
  • 22-05-2007 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I just returned to Ireland after living the last ten years in Norway. I decided to go out and hook myself up with broadband here and having gotten used to speeds of at LEAST 8mbs, I'm wondering why in the name of god, speeds are so damn small down here?? For example, up to 3mb seems to be the highest around. Then you have the option of paying a muge fee for 6mb, where as in Norway (and this is the "norm" it seems all over mainland europe) you may the equivlant of 40euro a month for 100mbits download and 10 up./ I've downloaded full movies in literially 2-3mins. The minimum package we could choose from had 8mbs.

so what is the reason for the poor performance of irish broadband? I'm putting my money on eircom ****ing it up for the lot of us.

I can't understand it though. Even Sky offer a decent BB package in the UK but for some reasn can't come down here. BT offer 8mbs for their UK service and only 3 down here. TBH, it's rather embarrassing that a country hailing itself as such a modern young state can't even provide fast modern broadband at decent prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Welcome to a fianna foul/pd Ireland. Sold off the infrastructure and have left us with a poodle for an communications regulator. Its easy to blame Eircom because they haven't gotten their thumb out but its comreg and ultimately The government who have left us in the sorry state we are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The fact that their is 3Mb available at an affordable price is only really due to wireless operators forcing eircoms hand.

Its starting to get better though with mobile broadband which is an area that seems to be regulated properly or has enough competition to force advancements at least.

I only hope it gets better fast but the governments inaction over such a long period of time has screwed it for years to come IMO.

Advertisement