Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elections on Thursdays

Options
  • 22-05-2007 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Thanks to having the voting on Thursday, there is no school for the children. Result = more cost in child minding for working families. Thank FF/PD can this be redeemed since the logical Saturday voting was beyond there imagination.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

mickthemod wrote:
    Thanks to having the voting on Thursday, there is no school for the children. Result = more cost in child minding for working families. Thank FF/PD can this be redeemed since the logical Saturday voting was beyond there imagination.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that having an election on a Saturday will double the cost of the election itself.

Edit: There are often unexpected days off in a school and an election comes once every five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

ateam wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that having an election on a Saturday will double the cost of the election itself.

Edit: There are often unexpected days off in a school and an election comes once every five years.

Now if you could post a link to this somewhere where you read about costs for a Saturday election we could discuss the matter.

How would you calculate the cost of Thursday vs Sarurday polling?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

mickthemod wrote:

not to mention disenfranchising students & culchies.......:mad:

mickthemod wrote:
    the logical Saturday voting was beyond there imagination.

When was the last Saturday election?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

When was the last Saturday election?

We're just saying that it would be a good, fair, democratic idea that's all, and a sign that a govt really cared about empowering ALL voters....

• Advertisement

It would, but it would be fair to say then that it is not a FF/PD conspiracy. It was beyond the imagination of the last Government containing Enda Kenny, Pat Rabbitte etc. etc. too. I suspect that it has been beyond the imagination of every politician in power for a long long time, so turning it into yet another stick to beat the present lot is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

It would, but it would be fair to say then that it is not a FF/PD conspiracy. It was beyond the imagination of the last Government containing Enda Kenny, Pat Rabbitte etc. etc. too. I suspect that it has been beyond the imagination of every politician in power for a long long time, so turning it into yet another stick to beat the present lot is laughable.

Remember seeing a Fine Gael dude talking in the dail a few months back where he was proposing that elections should only be on a Thursday or Friday but his suggestion was dismissed by Fianna Fail.

The fine gael guy was saying that it made sense for students, people workiing away from home.

Now I have to take Friday off work, so I can vote at home. Losing a days holidays that I could have put to good use elsewhere:)

Not sure about Saturdays at all. Think Fridays are fair enough, and that certainly has been done before. Or even Thursday and Friday, though guess that might have a cost implication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gonk

not to mention disenfranchising students & culchies.......:mad:

How are students and culchies being disenfranchised? If a student from, say, Mayo is in full-time education in Dublin and lives there during term-time, they are not in fact entitled to be on the electoral register in Mayo. They should register in Dublin and vote in Dublin.

Advertisement