Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ellis-South Leitrim/Roscommon

Options
  • 22-05-2007 5:31pm

Looks like Ellis is very worried about his seat from what his people are telling me.His past coming back to haunt him again.Looks Like him and Feighan are neck and neck.
    Would his seat loss be a blow as he has held it since the 1980's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Not as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure he'll have enough to keep his mind occupied. Maybe NIB might give him a seat on their board....

Or the IFA branch in Roscommon/Leitrim.He only robbd farmers of thousands of pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I think Ellis will win a seat.
    For this constituency I think the 3 seats will be occupied by:

Ellis (FF)
    Finneran (FF)
    Naughten (FG)

Naughten will get huge votes in Roscommon because if Fine Gael get into government, Naughten is almost certain to become a minister.
    Up to now the only minister serving the west of Ireland is Eamon O'Cuiv and it would be a huge boost to bothe Roscommon and the west if Naughten was a minister.

Ellis will have a close battle with Feighan. The Carrick on Shannon voters should outnumber the Boyle voters to shade it for ellis.

whassupp2 wrote:

Ellis will have a close battle with Feighan. The Carrick on Shannon voters should outnumber the Boyle voters to shade it for ellis.
    Ellis screwed all the farmers years ago by not paying them money that they were owed.
    Many FF voters in Roscommon are not going to give him their second preference.
    Also from what I have heard from local opinion polls done by both sides last week was 42% for Fianna Fail and 41% for Fine Gael.Naughton should top the poll.Finerran second.
    A lot of Fianna Fail voters are disgruntled that John Eliis did not even canvass Carrick on shannon/Leitrim village.His brother who did not really seem to know his policies did it for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Ellis screwed all the farmers years ago by not paying them money that they were owed.
    A lot of Fianna Fail voters are disgruntled that John Eliis did not even canvass Carrick on shannon/Leitrim village.His brother who did not really seem to know his policies did it for him.

Ya I know how he and his company screwed farmers I as a Roscommon voter, not Leitrim have no idea of support for him. I just cant imagine people from there voting for representatives outside their locality. As for his canvassing, he hasnt knocked on my door yet knor his reps. I think Feighan is an excellent candidate but i'm not sure he'll get in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Many FF voters in Roscommon are not going to give him their second preference.
    Also from what I have heard from local opinion polls done by both sides last week was 42% for Fianna Fail and 41% for Fine Gael.Naughton should top the poll.Finerran second.

John Ellis doesnt need to canvass in South Leitrim. Anybody who votes FF in Leitrim will vote John Ellis. Roscommon is where the battle will be fought. Why do you think hes hooring around Roscommon? Vice versa for Frank Feighan whose based in Ballinamore. I'm confident that Frank Feighan will get in. The people of Ballinamore are not happy with John Ellis over his non show of support for a new school there. Frank Feighan will get a lot of transfers from Naughton and a good vote in Leitrim. It could be enough but without a doubt it will be close. However, FG will rue the day that they failed to get Gerry Reynolds to run. He'd have been a safe bet for the 3rd seat.

Seen grown men tear down Fine Gael posters in Leitrim Village.I think you can guess who most of my village vote!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Well I must say I'm glad Ellis is gone. In my time I haven't seen him support anything in south Leitrim. It is worrying that now Leitrim has no representative it's going to be a good long time before we have another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Well I must say I'm glad Ellis is gone. In my time I haven't seen him support anything in south Leitrim. It is worrying that now Leitrim has no representative it's going to be a good long time before we have another one.

I'm glad too. He was a nasty piece of work, ethically questionable and never did anything in the Dail except chairing some low key committees. A perenial back bencher.

It doesn't matter if Leitrim has no TD (I never saw any advantage having Ellis). As a border county it will get more than it's fair share of funds for years to come. Far more than it's fair share considering the population.

Advertisement