Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax current account

Options
  • 22-05-2007 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Halifax launched new current account in Ireland, it looks very tempting, it's free, most of things are free (all euro transactions and withdrawals, maintenance etc.) There are two important things about them, they are open on saturdays (a big, big plus for that) and they are giving VISA debit card (probably electron) not a crapy laser, for 95% it is possible to use this card as a regular one in internet (I have Visa electron from other EU country, and it works this way!). Do You have any bad experience with Halifax? I am willing to switch but just need some opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

http://usenet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055059863

Some people aren't so convinced by their service. Opening Saturday doesn't a good bank make.

However, I'm glad to see Visa debit cards being issued. Much more widely accepted than Laser and Maestro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

Hi Buffybot,

I read this thread, guys are saying about thair customer service issues, well I don't know. Now I'm with AIB and they are charging for every transaction and I have crapy Laser/Maestro with which I can't pay in internet :(.
    I will go on saturday (or maybe during the week) to Halifax (Tallaght branch I think) and ask them all my questions and will see what the story is. I really like the idea of Visa debit card and being open on saturdays (for me that is much more customer friendly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

jaceq or anyone else, if its a vias debit card will you be able to book ryanair flights and not be charged the poxy 5 euro charge? If you use certain debit cards they don't charge, laser not being one of them.

I don't know about the 5 euro charge, I would say it will be treated like a regular visa card.

jaceq or anyone else, if its a vias debit card will you be able to book ryanair flights and not be charged the poxy 5 euro charge? If you use certain debit cards they don't charge, laser not being one of them.

In theory yes, but Ryanair will probably find a way to whack a charge on it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

jaceq wrote:
    Hi Buffybot,

I read this thread, guys are saying about thair customer service issues, well I don't know. Now I'm with AIB and they are charging for every transaction and I have crapy Laser/Maestro with which I can't pay in internet :(.
    I will go on saturday (or maybe during the week) to Halifax (Tallaght branch I think) and ask them all my questions and will see what the story is. I really like the idea of Visa debit card and being open on saturdays (for me that is much more customer friendly)

AIB don't charge if you use your maestro just once every 3 months and use internet banking (to transfer money/pay bill etc) at least once every 3 months.

I don't really understand people wanting to use a debit card (or 3v card) on the internet. Purchases via credit cards are insured (very important for online purchases)! If you're worried about debt, you can always front load your card and never use it to buy on credit. You can do this easily via internet banking and it will take care of that free-banking requirement!

I pretty much only use my maestro for tesco, local shop and pubs etc where purchases are small and cashback is handy.

Hi Dotsman,

Thing is I don't have credit card, and I won't get one now (I don't like 40E stamp duty, I am in Ireland pretty short time) I am not planning to use debit card on ebay but mostly... ryanair :) There is one more thing, I hate to have credits :( So another no for credit card :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Just to point out one thing :

Front loading your credit card is *not* a good idea. Many banks do not insure transactions or offer fraud protection if a credit card's front loaded!
    Have heard horror stories.

To avoid debt: Pay credit card balance during the interest free period.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Have been thinking of switching to Halifax since they launched their current account and wanted to see if anyone had done the same yet? Any reviews so far?

I'm not being bought in by their interest rate - from what I understand it's 10% on a max of €2,000 and is dependent on a lodgment of €1,500 a year. Gimmick if that's the case.

The thing that's selling me is the Visa Debit Card - apparently it works online just like a Visa CC and frankly I've had enough of my AIB Laser/Maestro card which works on about 5 sites and has given me nothing but grief when used in store.

Obviously I don't want to make a decision based on the card-type, however, so I'm wondering if there are any downsides compared to AIB.

I use internet banking a lot - anyone know what their service is like?
    Can their card be used in any ATM machines?
    They claim to have 'no silly charges' - do they have free banking too (to the same extent as AIB) and do you have to do anything to apply for it (like you do with AIB)?

I have a Halifax quite near me so branch location isn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I opened a monthly saver account and was told not to expect online banking for a while after the current accounts start up.

not had a problem with them but everytime i go in they try and sell me another service.

• Advertisement

Merging to other thread with identical name a few lines below...

Anyway..
    Can their card be used in any ATM machines?

If it has a Visa symbol, it can be used in any ATM with a Visa logo or PLUS logo on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭memeandmark

just a quick question regarding the current account if i open one with halifax, i know i will recive a atm card...when they are saying it is a debit card do i have to accept this option..as i have applied for the credit card offer of 0% for first 6months sounds good but do they mean if you open a current account you will get a debit card also...can u use the atm card in any atm machine...what am trying to ask is is the debit card thing a separate account or does it cost more..is it an optional extra on ur atm card...sorry am v confused!!!!

It doesn't cost any more from what I can see (although as with all debit cards you will have to pay the €20 government tax every year). I don't believe there is an option to just get an ATM card. However the debit card is also an ATM card and will work in pretty much any ATM machie

The debit card isn't a seperate account. Any purchases you make with it will be deducted from your current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Could somebody confirm whether this debit card has the "Visa Electron" symbol on it ??

It's not a Visa Electron as far as I'm aware, but a fully functioning Visa Debit card. There is a difference, but it's narrowing. For anyone who wants to know, read the two articles below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Electron
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Debit

Hi guys,

Opening account in Halifax takes about 2,5 weeks, they told me they have to check stuff with AIB (I'm switching) , for now they don't open new accounts (only switching). I will let You know details as soon as I will receive my card etc.

jaceq wrote:
    Hi guys,

Opening account in Halifax takes about 2,5 weeks, they told me they have to check stuff with AIB (I'm switching) , for now they don't open new accounts (only switching). I will let You know details as soon as I will receive my card etc.

That's a pain - was thinking about it and decided that I'd probably set up a new account rather than switch from AIB for the time being - that way I could test the water and not have to re-organise this, that and the other until I was happy to 100% switch my use to Halifax.

Looks like they'll not be getting my custom for the time being anyway

(oh, and apologies for the separate post when there was one right below it covering the same issue... frankly I didn't even see it at the time despite scanning the page, probably because I was sick at the time and didn't have my wits about me. Did the same thing on another forum too!)

Dropped into my local branch in Santry yesterday and they told me I didn't need to switch - I could set up a new Halifax account without having to do anything about my AIB one...

Not sure if they just told you that to get their figures up, jaceq, but it isn't what I've been told!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jaceq wrote:
    Hi guys,

a new account has to be set-up first then opt to switch only if you want.

faqs on their site: "How do I switch my account to a Halifax Current Account?
    Once you have applied for a Halifax Current Account, you can opt to let us switch for you via Halifax easy switching or manage the switch yourself."

"What happens when I have completed my application for a Halifax Current Account?
    We will contact you within 5 business days following the receipt of your application and all supporting documentation required. You may get a phone call or a letter requesting more information in order to help us process your application."

i switched over yest online, hope it will be worth it

Hi guys, I just received my new HALIFAX debit card. This is a real VISA (not electron) in attached leaflet it says You can use it online, it has CVV2 code on the back :) I am happy so far ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

sounds good, i just got my application to sign today, after applying last friday online. hope i made the right choice

I just received online access, looks fine, it's much more simple than AIB, but still ok ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭blackeyes

So having been taken in by Halifax's advertising and thinking that it was time to change from BOI, I filled in all the paperwork online to open a new Halifax Account and sent it off with all the extra documention.

2 weeks passed and I recieved a letter from Halifax stating that I did not meet the necessary criteria for opening a current account with them and to get in touch if my circumstances changed....so what the hell does that mean...

CAn only be one of 2 things that can change in my circumstances...either I make more money that the €55000 I earn a year, surely this is enough to open a current account???!! Or I buy a house as I'm currently renting...surely they cannot discrimminate against me for not being a home owner. I have a clean credit rating and have never been in the red in my life....so now I'm very confused and very pissed off....

Off to TSB with me then.

Oh and Halifax haven't even bothered to return any of my original documentation....nice!

I don't know why they send You refusal. I had no problem, I make way less then You and I'm in Ireland about 10 months only. Contact them and ask, they should tell You what the reason is.

Advertisement