Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Deal You Got from a Car Dealer

Options
  • 22-05-2007 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

In light of the heavy discounts be given on new car sales in the uk, £7000 off a z4 m sport list I found and many more. There even a few grand of the Qashqai. Doubt we get these deals in Ireland.

So I was wondering what were the best deals members been able to haggle out of Irish car dealers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

tvr wrote:
    In light of the heavy discounts be given on new car sales in the uk, £7000 off a z4 m sport list I found and many more. There even a few grand of the Qashqai. Doubt we get these deals in Ireland.

So I was wondering what were the best deals members been able to haggle out of Irish car dealers?

7k sterling off a z4 sounds like an excellent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It sounds more like a big discount than a great deal to me.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The oul lad got €4k off the price of a new A4 in January. Works out to about a 10% discount. Blackwater Moters, Fermoy.

Aunt got a 15% discount off a new Octavia in February. Tarrant Motors, Banteer.

If this thread takes off it could have sticky potential, equip buyers with a guide price to try to bargain a dealer down to.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bigkev49 wrote:
    Aunt got a 15% discount off a new Octavia in February. Tarrant Motors, Banteer

That sounds like a huge discount! Care to share a few details like exact model, options, list price, what she paid, etc.?

I am so annoyed i got a brand new golf last year and got afew hundred off it.It pi$$ed me off.Now i know that bargaining can be done.
    How much should i have got off a brand new 1.4 golf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

drdre wrote:
    I am so annoyed i got a brand new golf last year and got afew hundred off it.It pi$$ed me off.Now i know that bargaining can be done.
    How much should i have got off a brand new 1.4 golf?

VW dealers tend to be pretty miserable with their discounts. With the arrival of the MkVI Golf in the next 12 months there should be a bit of room for negotiation. New car sales start to slow down come July/August so you might be in a better position then. It also depends on how good you are at haggling.

bazz26 wrote:
    VW dealers tend to be pretty miserable with their discounts. With the arrival of the MkVI Golf in the next 12 months there should be a bit of room for negotiation. New car sales start to slow down come July/August so you might be in a better position then. It also depends on how good you are at haggling.

I tried deansgrange and belgard motors and ended up buying the car at belgard.
    I will look into the new golf ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

bazz26 wrote:
    . With the arrival of the MkVI Golf in the next 12 months
    Not been confirmed anywhere yet.

You also won't see the right hand drive until 12 months after the left hand drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bluetonic wrote:

You also won't see the right hand drive until 12 months after the left hand drive.
    how come?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I got a new 06 Golf GTi for €33500 by calling and shopping around. Some of the other dealers were quoting €37000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

This March 2007, I was offered a brand new, 7 miles on the clock, Subaru Impreza WRX STi D-spec (the 2,5L loony one, but "made-especially-not-to-look-like-a-boy-racer's-wet-dream" one, so no stupid big wing, bonnet scoop and whatnot) for... £14k instead of £24k :eek: By Monty's, the main Subaru Dealer in Sheffield.

For practical reasons, I didn't buy the deal (still sore about it) and I went for a 2,0L R Sports instead, and that was had at £4k off asking (Dealer demonstrator, late 2006 model, 8k miles, £10k, was £14k asking).

Scoob are in a big drive to brush off the boy racer image of the Impreza and to raise its profile as a viable alternative to 'established' segment leaders for the 4/5 door mid-sized sedan. Some indecent bargains to be had, I tell you.

The time to buy in the UK is in March, last month before year-end, new stock ordering/rotation and salespeople bonus calculations. You heard it here, and I heard it from several UK dealers.

EDIT: sry, overlooked the 'at Irish car dealers' bit. Wouldn't dream of buying a car here, ever. The very few experience I've had of dealers in and around Dublin have just confirmed to me that they're on an entirely different planet altogether, when it comes to pricing and customer service.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Not been confirmed anywhere yet.

Are you sure about it coming 12 months after it comes out in left hand drive :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ambro25 wrote:
    for... £14k instead of £24k :eek:

ambro25 ftw :D
    colm_mcm wrote:
    how come?

Not sure, but the Golf V was launched in '03 but we didn't really see many of them here in Ireland until '05

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    Not sure, but the Golf V was launched in '03 but we didn't really see many of them here in Ireland until '05

Slightly OT but the MkV Golf was launched in Ireland from March 2004 afaik. RHD MKVI Golf is expected to arrive here faster than normal as VW switch production lines to the MKVI Golf quickly due to the very high costs of producing the MKV Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

unkel wrote:
    ambro25 ftw :D

Well, they were desperate to shift it. The funny thing is, I barely had to do anything to get them to drop and drop and drop the price - I just kept looking around and kept telling them it was way OTT for our needs (which was absolutely the truth :( ). Still they came at us with a further drop... Go figure.

Mind you, had they offered free insurance for a year or two... who knows?

Coulda been coz I was paying cash, though that doesn't seem to get dealers excited much these days, either in IE or the UK (I understand they actually get a kickback from finance companies, so much less incentive for cash deals).

Hindsight is so your foe: I shoulda bought the STI then flogged it straight back privately for at least 5k more :(

Kinda reminds me of that TVR Griffith I once came so close to swap the MX-5 for (£15k asking, woulda been £6k with part-xing the MX-5: V8 5L, less than 30k miles, all s/s exhaust, uprated shocks and brembos all-around, navy metal and tan hide... I mean, come on FFS! - still not forgiven the Missus 6 years on :D )

Advertisement