Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs moving forward

Options
  • 22-05-2007 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

What does the following say about Ireland and it being compeditive?

Recently announced:

26th April 2007 genzyme 52 Jobs Waterford

26th April 2007 amazon.com 450 jobs Cork

27th April 2007 Pramerica 200 Jobs Donegal

1st May 2007 tellindus 20 Jobs Dublin

3rd may 2007 Intellicom 100 Jobs Carlow

3rd May 2007 Surface Power 31 Jobs Mayo

10th May Helix Health 20 Jobs Dublin

14th May Microsoft considering $500 million investment 250 Jobs Dublin

15th May Aer Arann 45 Jobs Waterford

17th May Obelisk 100 Jobs Cavan

21 May VHI 25 Jobs Donegal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Convenient how these job announcments coincide with the run up to the election, isnt it? Love how you put 25 VHI jobs in there too....

Care to give us a list of all the job losses over the past few months?

I'll start you off with 165 job losses in Athlone.
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0522/jobs.html

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Here are a few more:

2R Plastics, Tubbercurry - 19 jobs lost.

Integrated Utility Service, Tuam - 61 jobs lost

McAlpine, Westport - 72 jobs lost.

And they're just what I found in the first article I Googled, from the Western People dated May 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL you must be desparate to start a topic on creating jobs.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10008941.shtml

Absolutely shambolic display by this government, no proper planning and nothing but soundbites on a knowledge economy without any actual concrete backup.

gandalf wrote:
    LOL you must be desparate to start a topic on creating jobs.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10008941.shtml

Absolutely shambolic display by this government, no proper planning and nothing but soundbites on a knowledge economy without any actual concrete backup.

Ah yeah, that the reason why he hasnt posted here since.... Next he'll be telling us the Health Service is ok :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Jackz wrote:
    What does the following say about Ireland and it being compeditive?
    It says we're having a difficult time replenishing the jobs being lost. You FFs must be desperate to wallpaper over record of failure and buffoonery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

How many of those jobs are in Dublin?

Now how do you propose those people that will be moving to Dublin to get those jobs get to work? I just got off a train from Maynooth that people could barely get on after Connolly because it was that packed and I got on in Pearse and had to stand. The train I get in the morning, I can't get a seat on in Maynooth because they are almost all taken!

Roads in the country are car parks in the mornings.

Then you have the everyone elses points about how we are loosing a lot of jobs.

Then you have the "knowledge economy" which is a joke if ever I heard one. Large class size, lack of communication infrastructure etc...

With all the effort FF put into covering up their failures in almost every area, they could have just run the country properly for 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

stepbar wrote:
    Convenient how these job announcments coincide with the run up to the election, isnt it? Love how you put 25 VHI jobs in there too....

Care to give us a list of all the job losses over the past few months?

I'll start you off with 165 job losses in Athlone.
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0522/jobs.html

Sorry was on a call.

Added the locations of all jobs.

You pick VHI out nearly 1300 jobs lol

These comapnies are all bed fellows of FF I suppose. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

The most shocking thing about job losses is that the biggest employer in the country: construction does not make job loss announcements, there are too few fixed term contracts.

RESL in Ennis is an exception, but again that is a large company, the smaller companies simply say the workers, Ill call you when I need ya, and then dont call

Also read this from one of your links stepbar:

"Union official Brendan Byrne said it was difficult to accept how a consistently profitable company could suffer such a rapid reversal."

I see commercial greed in alot of cases; what do you want the government to do about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Sorry, could not locate that, can you give me that LINK again

Let me just echo what Gandalf said again.....

It will be interesting to see how many of these jobs materialise. We all know the last time there was an election all the jobs that "actually" materialised.

I have to laugh at the VHI, an artifical company propped up by regulation and a government that's afraid to call the shots. It might be more in the interest of the VHI to start saving their customers money instead of creating 25 highly paid jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

you posted literally the exact same thing over on politics.ie jackz right under where someone posted the results of this interesting surver http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_1010130.shtml

:):)

Cool but im happy with the noise from Microsoft and the jobs in Cork from Amazon.

And why is relevant that I posted on another forum, I'm interested in hearing what people have to say.

Stalker! lol

Top man jackz.... I wonder did Brian Cowan advise you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

This is a bit of blinkered party posting at its finest*; I find it absolutely disgraceful that such a blatantly slanted post should be put here. What is the point of it? What purpose does it serve telling me that we've gained 1300 jobs on one hand - when the overwhelming trend is that we've lost 1500 on the other hand? Why are you telling me about past 'successes' that realistically are failures? Why aren't you explaining how you're going to redress this DECLINE in jobs instead? If this is the direction the government is taking by means of its useless zealots, I might have to consider re-aligning my opinions. Too many talentless FF heads with nothing to offer this country but blind loyalty are beginning to make me believe that FF has nothing much to offer anymore at all.

*In terms of where I'll be voting, my first preference vote is going to the Greens, then Labour, then FF, then FG - just so we all know where I stand.

And yet you will still give a vote to FF and ahead of FG in preference :rolleyes:

Oh and furthermore. Recently announced Amazon jobs? They were announced in April 2006 and were finally filled this week. Hardly newsworthy. Though then again, when you're desperate, I suppose you might as well lump them in with the recently announced...

stepbar wrote:
    And yet you will still give a vote to FF and ahead of FG in preference :rolleyes:

That's correct. I don't believe in blind party loyalty: obviously national issues matter, but where my local FG candidate is found wanting, my local Labour candidate is streets ahead - as is my local FF candidate. So what am I to do? Be as blindsided as I've just accused the FF-supporting threadstarter or, hold on a minute, do something revolutionary and consider each candidate on his/her own merits...

Eh, don't vote for FF :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Here lads enjoy the trend early in the year was job loses the recent trend is new jobs: www.eirjobs.com. Not my website.

Hey, great argument. That really clears up my thoughts and counters my own thinking. No wait...no...

Jackz wrote:
    Here lads enjoy the trend early in the year was job loses the recent trend is new jobs: www.eirjobs.com. Not my website.

What did the last horse you flogged die of?

You might be interested in this article as well
    http://www.eirjobs.com/news/3-big-guns-struggling-intelmotorolaprocter-gamble/

OK time will tell.

Thats a quare change from post 1 jackz, isn't it?
    Its hard for a FF'er to admit they're wrong, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

No close your eyes and say to yourself "The construction industry will save us, The construction industry will save us" and click your heels together and all will be well again.

Look stepbar you contend we are no longer compeditive, I don't think we are compeditive when it comes to certain jobs becaue the gulf between what it costs to do business here and in other places is huge. I believe if we were to try to compete on an even playing field for those jobs with those countries the living standard of their employees would have to be s**t. It was inevitable that certain jobs would move. I find it positive that approx 1300 new jobs have been announed here in the last month despite the fact that we are not the cheapest place in the world to do business. I would like to see Ireland continue to climb the ladder in terms of quality of jobs. I agree that it is worrying the number of people working in construction! I hope the infrasture plans will absorb some of these people as property cools down (Do you think there will be a miny poperty boom when stamp duty is confirmed confirmed after election?)

Intel are being hammered due to competition and an overall slow down in pc sales (there is no longer loads of pc's sold after Microsoft release a new OS) This is an international problem for them!

Proactor and Gamble dont match the trend in hiring in the biotech sector that I have outlined here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

We're not in Kansas any more Toto ....

*cough*

"I find it positive that approx 1300 new jobs have been announed here "

No they haven't. 450 of those were announced in 2006 (Amazon).

• Advertisement

If FF get in there will be - "No stamp duty for all first time buyers". As least the FG proposals are sensible.

Look when the likes of Motorola, Proctor and Gamble & Pfizer (all blue chip companies) are shedding supposedly high value jobs, its doesnt exactly look good.

Advertisement