Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replace Vista with XP

• 22-05-2007 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Hi . Is it possible / easy to uninstall vista and replace with XP ? My Sis just bought a new Laptop .Vista is current OS running on Dell inspiration 1500 with 2gb Ram - still slow and crashing occasionally ( blue screen) .She wants rid of vista!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Just buy a copy of Windows XP and within it's installer delete the current partition and continue with the installation. Make sure you've got all the right Windows XP drivers for your particular model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

I'm not a big vista fan, but before you go formatting, why not...

uninstall any norton and mcafee software to see if that helps,
    bring it back to the shop\dell and see if they can get it running better?

if you go with installing xp you will have to track down drivers for the graphics, audio, wi-fi and ethernet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

mukki wrote:
    uninstall any norton and mcafee software to see if that helps,
    bring it back to the shop\dell and see if they can get it running better?
    Absolutely... There's no reason why Vista should be running slowly, and if it is it's likely that XP will do exactly the same thing. I get identical performance from both operating systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Lodgepole wrote:
    Absolutely... There's no reason why Vista should be running slowly, and if it is it's likely that XP will do exactly the same thing. I get identical performance from both operating systems.

Your joking right?

I have dual boot vista enterprise / xp pro. And pro performs much better in all applications. Even MS acknowledge this them selfs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Anti wrote:
    I have dual boot vista enterprise / xp pro. And pro performs much better in all applications. Even MS acknowledge this them selfs.
    Not joking at all. Identical performance within the OS and applications and games, using either XP Home or Vista Home Premium. Noticeable performance I should say, i'm sure if I was to benchmark i'd see a difference. That said, it's a desktop that was built in February so there's no reason for either OS to struggle, so it's possible a cheaper laptop might run Vista slightly less adequately than XP. However, there's no reason why Vista should be running slowly on a new laptop with that much RAM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

dak wrote:
    Hi . Is it possible / easy to uninstall vista and replace with XP ? My Sis just bought a new Laptop .Vista is current OS running on Dell inspiration 1500 with 2gb Ram - still slow and crashing occasionally ( blue screen) .She wants rid of vista!

Got a Laptop for the wife last month. First thing I did was take off Vista and put on XP. Vista was a dog even with the AV removed!

XP is running like a dream for her!

On another note. I have XP on my Dell 640m. I was giving serious thought to throwing on Windows 2003 server simply because I think it's a great OS.

Any thoughts on this? Specifically will I run into trouble with program compatibility? DVD/CD burning sw/media player etc?

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I threw win 2003 web edition on a few workstations and had no s/w issues at all with it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I threw win 2003 web edition on a few workstations and had no s/w issues at all with it .

Cheers!:)

Advertisement