Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad decking wood?

Options
  • 22-05-2007 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

while putting down a deck at the weekend of pressure treated wood i noticed that some of the wood wasnt great. Attached is a pic of 1 of a couple of boards that got put down. Just wondering if i should replace this board as i have a few spare of if it'll be grand after staining? Also can i return the bad boards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I doubt very much they'll be taken back...I'm no expert, but I'd say that the nails you seem to be using probably don't help, by exacerbating the timber's tendency to split. Screws would be a better choice.

Also, wood is a natural product and I would say that "defects"" such as that add to the character of the material. Be prepared for further splitting over the winter!

I could well be wrong, but I wouldn't personally be too worried by that, unless it was every second board or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

no nails used on the decking just the frame, thats a 75mm screw beside it.
    Its only about 5 out of 38 (mostly 16ft deck planks) and only 1 of them has a good lot of it carcked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Apologies - I thought it was a nail, but I see now it's a screw - sorry.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You should have no problem having poor quality/cracked boards replaced provided you have not used any fixings. A 'used board' will most likely not be exchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

A friend recently installed a deck and had his money refunded over bad boards, some of which must have been left in the rain for years they were so rotten.They were from a very big dealer on the naas road, who I suspect judged him to be a bit naive because he asked a lot of questions when ordering and I suppose made it clear he really hadn't a clue.He soon showed them.So i would say yes, complain, don't accept inferior boards. Once you use the proper screws they should not split, none of mine did and still haven't after 3 years down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement