Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chemical sciences at dit

• 22-05-2007 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

The way they do this degree is very different to most other institutes, there aren't many theory lectures and is semister based I havent been in college in 4 years and I only scraped through my diploma in analytical chem from carlow but im prepared to work, would that be enough or do I have to have a big knowledge of chemistry ?
    whats the course like in general?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

it is hard work , i think you would need to work harder than the others to revise all the basics. i did the 3 years and now finished 4th, they are really complementary.
    i wouldnt say one area of chemistry is priviledged, but expect a lot of analytical in the first semester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

The thing is I only scraped through my diploma in analytical chemistry in carlow it in 2003(this was more down to being a bit of a doser than finding it difficult) and I haven't worked in a lab for a few years but I want to do the degree to put a better look on my overall education and a hon degree is pretty much standard in industry theses days.

Even though I am prepared to work this time round I feel that not having worked hard enough in my previous 3 years will make the course too difficult for me, I aim to get at least a merit 2

2 other questions

How important is it to have a good knowledge of computer packages like excel for assignments

Whats involved in the project, how difficult did it prove to be?I suppose the fact you don't have to do this till the 3rd semister will make one more prepared as they will have gotten past the first 2 semisters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

you will use excel quite often since there is at least a graph to be plotted for each practical, occasionaly you ll have to use it to measure standard deviation and slope errors but that was requested only few times.
    the assignments that you are goin to get in 4th year will be stuff like essays problem sheets so excel wont be used there.

oh the project i ll be startin it in september so i cant tell you how hard will it be, but im doing it outside dit .what i can tell you that the project i did in third year in dt212 was the best bit of the course, but i cant tell you how easy will be cos it depends on your interests.
    also you ll have a supervisor who is there to help you, im sure they undestand the situation especially in your case

my advice would be dont think of it as something impossible, just realise that you will have to put extra effort in respect to the others.as you said an hnrs deg now days is a standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

would the ecdl computer course cover me for all the computer knowledge I would need in this course?

Advertisement