Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread!

• 22-05-2007 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Thought it might be a good idea so we can keep tracking of the comings and goings.

First transfer, Steve Sidwell has moved from Reading to Chelsea in a rather bizarre move in my eyes! Is he not a central midfielder? Do Chelsea not have a million of these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Do Chelsea not have a million of these?

Yes but Claude Mak is widely tipped to retire this summer so that leaves Essien who is deployed all over the park and rarely in the middle with Lamps and Ballack as the experienced heads. Diarra, who doesn't look up to it at the top level and Mikel both of whom are hugely inexperienced. Sidwell is a good cover signing in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Steve Sidwell is Dutch for Scott Parker aparantly. I'm not sure how reliable my source is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sidwell is cover for African Nations Cup and some league cup games.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Surely you'd rather have Essien in the middle and get some defenders instead? That being said i'd rate sidwell a good bit higher than Diarra but Mikel looks like he'll come on a lot this season if he keeps his discipline.
    Kinda surprise Sidwell chose Chelsea considering the competition there, maybe convinced by getting his place with a rotation policy when Chelsea compete in all competitions next year

edit: and cover for the african nations as mike said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hargreaves
    > United

• Advertisement

SURPRISE!!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

WTF is Fergie going to do with Carrick?

Mike.

Play him along side Hargreaves i'd reckon in a *cough*4-5-1 *cough* i mean 4-2-3-1. Or he'll just rotate with Scholes for when he needs rested in a 4-4-2 if they buy another decent forward and play that formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Different type of player. Hargreaves is a more defensive player than Carrick. Hargreaves and Carrick will compliment each other. I think fergie is looking a few years into the future with Hargreave and Carrick, Scholes will be difficult to displace.

BTW Hargreaves is not a done deal yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

I've heard in a few places now that Fergy reckons Carrick has the passing ability to do a role similar to Scholes' current one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

First transfer, Steve Sidwell has moved from Reading to Chelsea
    ahem...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/6653201.stm

;)

Brown will be a star.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Fergie thinks Carrick and Hargreaves will be his Pirlo and Gattuso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I heard on Revista de la Liga last night that Villareal have about 4/5 big signings lined up for the Summer already. Ones I can remember are Ayala and possibly Makelele

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Fergie thinks Carrick and Hargreaves will be his Pirlo and Gattuso
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

besty wrote:
    I heard on Revista de la Liga last night that Villareal have about 4/5 big signings lined up for the Summer already. Ones I can remember are Ayala and possibly Makelele
    Yeah they are signing Ayala , Capdevilla from Depor and Diego Lopez from R. Madrid .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Play him along side Hargreaves i'd reckon in a *cough*4-5-1 *cough* i mean 4-2-3-1. Or he'll just rotate with Scholes for when he needs rested in a 4-4-2 if they buy another decent forward and play that formation.
    Good news for England fans imho. I think Hargreaves and Carrick can strike up a good partnership for both club and country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Spurs and Soton agree fee for Bale.

Player still to agree personal terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Good news for England fans imho. I think Hargreaves and Carrick can strike up a good partnership for both club and country.
    carrick and hargreaves will never be a partnership for england, unless both lampard and gerrard are injured.

Tauren wrote:
    carrick and hargreaves will never be a partnership for england, unless both lampard and gerrard are injured.

we can only hope ;)

Pompey have confirmed Sylvain Distin has signed a three year contract, Sully Muntari will sign later this week apparantly.

Keep an eye out for us, we are going places (mind you, I think that every summer:rolleyes: )

• Advertisement

i'd expect to see a few more clubs joining with last minute bids before anything is finalized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

The Muppet wrote:
    Hargreaves is a more defensive player than Carrick.

Really? I would of thought that Carrick is terrible on the ball and looks like he has two left feet when he gets it. Then again he doesn't get stuck into players like a defensive midfielder would so I guess he could be a creative attacking midfielder that hasn't been allowed play that role this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Really? I would of thought that Carrick is terrible on the ball and looks like he has two left feet when he gets it. Then again he doesn't get stuck into players like a defensive midfielder would so I guess he could be a creative attacking midfielder that hasn't been allowed play that role this season?
    he did ok playing in the AM role against Roma at Old Trafford:D

I would also say he looks very good on the ball. He isn't a great dribbler, but his control and passing are great.

eh? Carricks best attribute's are his passing. he hasn't been fantastic this season but i definitly didn't see a player with two left feet. he has been stuck doing the holding role for a while now (mainly due to lack of personnel) but i think it's pretty obvious that that's not his natural game. i would hope that the arrival of Hargreaves will free him up a little bit and we'll see more of a creative force in him next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

If the fee is around the muted £10 million its madness. That £10 million for an unproven (premiership wise) 18 year old. Crazy. I would expect no less than a very good finished article for that price.

Arsenal did it too with Walcott, madness. Soton are milking it for these youngsters.

Still I won't complain if their taking £10 million off the tiny tots.

cson wrote:
    If the fee is around the muted £10 million its madness. That £10 million for an unproven (premiership wise) 18 year old. Crazy. I would expect no less than a very good finished article for that price.

Arsenal did it too with Walcott, madness. Soton are milking it for these youngsters.

Still I won't complain if their taking £10 million off the tiny tots.

i read £6m and rising pending on appearances and add ons. it's nothing more than media hype that results in those kinda outlandish figures.

All the same £6 million is still outrageous for him.

Still I suppose you have to speculate to accumulate and credit to the tiny tots they've done it reasonably well, buying Carrick for £2.5 million and selling him for a fee of potentially £18.6 million. That'll pay for the Rebrovs of this world. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

He's only 17 btw. 6 million is for the unproven player, the ten is for the finished article, if he becomes it. If he doesnt we sell him for 3 mil and take a bit of a loss. We have to take chances if we want to progress. We dont have the luxury of being able to attract players like Hargreaves/Queresma ect.

Really? I would of thought that Carrick is terrible on the ball and looks like he has two left feet when he gets it.
    You can't be serious? :) Carrick's game is all about passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

eirebhoy wrote:
    You can't be serious? :) Carrick's game is all about passing.

QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

This 10 million or even 6 million for Bale is madness, the guy is hugely over rated.

Against Ireland and Croke Park he was destroyed by Damien Duff and constantly gave the ball away, worst player on the pitch. I'm just delighted United arent signing him!

heh, now the reports are saying Burley has denied it all. i forgot that Bale already turned down the chance to go to spurs last January. do you think he could be holding out for another club?

heh, now the reports are saying Burley has denied it all. i forgot that Bale already turned down the chance to go to spurs last January. do you think he could be holding out for another club?

BBC Radio Wales reporting he's to have a medical today, despite Burley's denial.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/6683989.stm

BBC Radio Wales reporting he's to have a medical today, despite Burley's denial.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/6683989.stm

yeah i saw that, but i dunno, i just don't trust all that "sources close to the player" thing. as i said above i expect there to be another twist in this saga... but then again maybe the twist will be that there will be no twist... bah... :confused:

yeah i saw that, but i dunno, i just don't trust all that "sources close to the player" thing. as i said above i expect there to be another twist in this saga... but then again maybe the twist will be that there will be no twist... bah... :confused:

He turned Spurs down in January hoping for a move to ManYoo this summer. From what I've heard, Ferguson has cooled his interest, so he may not get his dream move. Also, heard rumours he's been demanding a play if fit clause in any contract he'll sign with Spurs...

• Advertisement

Sounds like he really really wants to go there.

Ye're gonna be used as a springboard to better things once again I fear.

Draupnir wrote:
    This 10 million or even 6 million for Bale is madness, the guy is hugely over rated.

Against Ireland and Croke Park he was destroyed by Damien Duff and constantly gave the ball away, worst player on the pitch. I'm just delighted United arent signing him!

i absolutely agree, but if we get him we get him.

at least he will have a much better coaching set up (no offence to soton fc) if he signs at either spurs or utd.
    the guys obviously got buckets of talent. im not sure another season in the championship will help him. id rather see him learn and adapt to a bigger challenge. plus, its about time spurs got someone who can kick a free kick!

cson wrote:
    Sounds like he really really wants to go there.

Ye're gonna be used as a springboard to better things once again I fear.

so people keep saying, but what if spurs get into the CL? and the only player to leave so far has been carrick. and lets face it, i would back any board to sell a player for a 600% profit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

In regards to Carrick, hes a poor mans Alonso...although he did cost almost twice as much. (was it 16m or 18m?). *snigger*

I jest.

but what if spurs get into the CL? and the only player to leave so far has been carrick.

You more or less said it yourself there. Its very hard to no.1 attract and no.2 keep a high calibre of player without champions league football. If Spurs got into the champions league, with the extra revenue it brings in, they could credibly squeeze into the 'top 4'.

They're probably the best of the second tier but you've got to imagine if Bale turns out to be any good that if Spurs aren't playing champs league football after a few years with them he'll look to move on to Man Utd or Chelsea etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Really? Well considering their respective seasons, you'd really have to question that.

Beyond that, Southampton have rejected the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote:
    Really? Well considering their respective seasons, you'd really have to question that.

Beyond that, Southampton have rejected the move.

Only trying to get a rise out of you PHB ;)

(its true though)

Well, I'm happy either way :) 18 million and the league, yeh i'll take it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

eh? Carricks best attribute's are his passing. he hasn't been fantastic this season but i definitly didn't see a player with two left feet. he has been stuck doing the holding role for a while now (mainly due to lack of personnel) but i think it's pretty obvious that that's not his natural game. i would hope that the arrival of Hargreaves will free him up a little bit and we'll see more of a creative force in him next season.

I've been thinking exactly the same, Hargreaves would give him freedom to do more, seemed like he was hesitant to move forward a lot of the time this season,i think he was told not to. Also if Scholes gets a chance of a rest more often next season it will be a huge benefit to him and he should be even fresher, Giggs benefited from having Park this season and looked a lot better when he had the chance of the odd rest,whereas towards the end of the season without Park he started to look fatigued. Also despite a lot of the complaints being made about Park he played just 8 times in the prem and scored 5 and put in a huge effort as he always does, having him back to help out Giggs next season would be great, i think he still has a chance of being a big Utd player as does Carrick. Time will tell.

Bale to Spurs confirmed, £5m up front + £5m in add ons.

I'm happy he's gone to Spurs, didn't want to see him at United, thought it would be a silly buy. He'll do well for Spurs, now they just need one more decent defender, with King, Chimbonda, Bale and new CB they might challenge for top 4.

If any bookies offer odds on Spurs making the top 4 I'd love to know.

Who they'll take the place of though?

Based on this season, the best chance they have to beat is Liverpool, but if Liverpool spend big, and actually improve in terms of real quality, then I can't see how Spurs will get in. Arsenal were really struck by injuries this year, so I can't see how they won't improve next year by at least 5-10 points.
    Spurs will need a good start, then hope that Liverpool or Arsenal have a poor start, and then go from there.

Spurs wont break into the top 4. Jol isn't ambitious enough. he seems happy enough with 5th and i dont think they'll ever go beyond that with him at the helm. ever notice how he always seems in awe of the top 4 managers? i dont think he believes he'll be able to reach their level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

PHB wrote:
    I'm happy he's gone to Spurs, didn't want to see him at United, thought it would be a silly buy. He'll do well for Spurs, now they just need one more decent defender, with King, Chimbonda, Bale and new CB they might challenge for top 4.
    Been watching Bale, have to say he isn't the best defensively. Going forward he's great but he's still got a bit to learn on the defensive end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement