Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Slurms wrote:
    Been watching Bale, have to say he isn't the best defensively. Going forward he's great but he's still got a bit to learn on the defensive end.

Like any 17 year old.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

hes a converted left winger, improving his defending as he develops. and he still has a lot of developing to do as he isnt even old enough to drink(legally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

PHB wrote:
    Who they'll take the place of though?

Based on this season, the best chance they have to beat is Liverpool, but if Liverpool spend big, and actually improve in terms of real quality, then I can't see how Spurs will get in. Arsenal were really struck by injuries this year, so I can't see how they won't improve next year by at least 5-10 points.
    Spurs will need a good start, then hope that Liverpool or Arsenal have a poor start, and then go from there.

Their gonna be hit like a ton of bricks by the African cup of nations. Then if Henry and Wenger leave and with the board disputes and the fact they wont have a lot to spend due to massive debt from the the Emirates it does stretch the bounds of imagination to far.

Plus last season they got in by the skin of their teeth.

For it to happen though it will certainly take a bit of luck on our part. Arse have to have a bad season and we have to have a great one.....not the most probable outcome but far from impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think it would take alot for Arsenal, possibly the most stable club in the PL, to loose the run of themselves.

Spurs wont break into the top 4. Jol isn't ambitious enough. he seems happy enough with 5th and i dont think they'll ever go beyond that with him at the helm. ever notice how he always seems in awe of the top 4 managers? i dont think he believes he'll be able to reach their level.

:rolleyes: Based on what?We were 4th most of the season last year and just pipped on the last day. You said a while back.
    i would expect them to be higher than 8th in the prem . I feel they have the resources to be pushing for champions league spots. fair enough you did it last year, but this year ye've gone backwards.

So there you go we finished fifth again. Teams like Arsenal and Liverpool have been winnning leagues and Champions leagues and lots of trophies for the past decade. Arsenal were almost unbeatable not to long ago while liverpool won 5 trophies in less than a year. All this while we were languishing in mid table mediocrity. You cant just change that overnight.

Jol has only had two full seasons, one we finished 5th two points of fourth on pipped on the last day. This season we finished 5th.

We are not as far off as people think either. If we had beatne Arsenal twice this season instead of Losing and drawing we would be in the CL. Two games isnt a massive difference.

And as for Arsenal's injuries, we had it just as bad. Our defence was a shambles for most of season, but I dont use that as any sort of excuse, your squad is either strong enough or it isnt.

ever notice how he always seems in awe of the top 4 managers? i dont think he believes he'll be able to reach their level.

Can you provide one example of that? I have never heard him say anyhting that would suggest he is in Awe of Wenger or Benitez(or Ferguson or mourinho for that matter). In fact he has stated on numerous occasions of hiis ambitions of top four and how that is where we want to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Babybing wrote:
    Their gonna be hit like a ton of bricks by the African cup of nations. Then if Henry and Wenger leave and with the board disputes and the fact they wont have a lot to spend due to massive debt from the the Emirates it does stretch the bounds of imagination to far.

The African cup of nations isn't going to be that bad really, the main concern is of course the defense with Toure and Eboue gone but the only other player going will be Adebayor and Bendtner is back now so he should be able to cover him. But yeah a good defender to come in would be kinda handy. I also seriously doubt Henry and Wenger leave, maybe next year for Wenger when is contract is out but as far as i can see its just the papers wanting something to talk about

I think it would take alot for Arsenal, possibly the most stable club in the PL, to loose the run of themselves.

Surely losing your best player and manager is a "lot"?

Im not saying it is gonna happen but that is the sort of thing we need to happen to have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=468737&CPID=8&clid=21&lid=4161&title=Reo-Coker+asks+for+transfer

wonder who he'll go to, therell be a good bit of interest but a high price tag...spurs? (he's young and english after all :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Spurs need to improve their defence, midfield and goalkeeper to challenge top four. I think Robinson, King and Jenas are hugely overrated, and there are a few others too.

If Spurs want to break into the top four they need to start beating the top four in competitive games. This year they had a win against Chelsea and that was it. Arsenal beat them 3-0, United 4-0 and Liverpool 3-0 for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Lemlin wrote:
    Spurs need to improve their defence, midfield and goalkeeper to challenge top four. I think Robinson, King and Jenas are hugely overrated, and there are a few others too.

If Spurs want to break into the top four they need to start beating the top four in competitive games. This year they had a win against Chelsea and that was it. Arsenal beat them 3-0, United 4-0 and Liverpool 3-0 for example.

I dont agree, Spurs have a quality squad and are strengthening . To challenge for the top two you need to be beating the other top three teams but as we saw this season you can get the top 4 without doing that 68 points got third. If you are winning consistantly against the other teams thats not an impossible target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Arsenal have signed a new goalkeeper. Fabianski is his name and he is 22.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6850682

Baptista "The beast" is going back to real madrid.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6845328

Lemlin wrote:

Jenas is quite a mediocre player. I dont think many do rate him highly but if they do then yes they are overrating him. King and Robbo are both great players though, Dawson has been one of our best players for the last two seasons and Chimbonda has completely shut the mouths of those who were sceptical about buying him(including myself:o ). With the additions of Bale and Kaboul and with Ledley avoiding injury hopefully we will be much tighter defensively next season.

BTW who else do you think is overrated?

Agree with the midfield though. We are very weak in the centre and I think this is why we are generally dominated by the bigger teams. This should be a prime area of improvement.
    Lemlin wrote:

As I said in another thread I agree 100% with you on that. Our performances against the big 4 just have not been good enough. I think if we strenghten the centre of midfield we will be able to give a much better account of ourselves against the ****** teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Babybing wrote:
    Jenas is quite a mediocre player. I dont think many do rate him highly but if they do then yes they are overrating him. King and Robbo are both great players though, Dawson has been one of our best players for the last two seasons and Chimbonda has completely shut the mouths of those who were sceptical about buying him.

Personally i think Paul Robinson is a weak link for spurs, i think this season for spurs and england he has being quite bad at times. I would have said a couple of seasons ago, he was one of the best, but now i think he probably one of the worse and most over-rated keepers in england. I dont think he is as good as most people thought. Dawson has being brilliant for spurs and was a bargain of a buy. I dont rate Chimbonda, full stop, waste of space. I do think if spurs bought a holding midfielder and left sided winger then they could push easily for top four finish.

Personally i think Paul Robinson is a weak link for spurs, i think this season for spurs and england he has being quite bad at times. I would have said a couple of seasons ago, he was one of the best, but now i think he probably one of the worse and most over-rated keepers in england. I dont think he is as good as most people thought. Dawson has being brilliant for spurs and was a bargain of a buy. I dont rate Chimbonda, full stop, waste of space. I do think if spurs bought a holding midfielder and left sided winger then they could push easily for top four finish.

Thats a cert this summer tbh. If we dont buy a left winger I'll walk around town with an Arsenal shirt and a big sign saying "Arsenal are great":p

Its the holding midfielder I'm most concerned about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Babybing wrote:
    Arsenal are great

But they are! :p

On that note the Gunners confirmed the signing of Lukasz Fabianski, a young polish goalkeeper today. Will he replace mad Jens? He pretty much conforms to type as a typical Wenger signing, good young player with plenty of potential.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Babybing wrote:
    We are not as far off as people think either. If we had beatne Arsenal twice this season instead of Losing and drawing we would be in the CL. Two games isnt a massive difference.
    And if my Aunt had a penis she'd be my Uncle. These two games where Spurs were comprehensively outplayed. Spurs were closer to missing out on Europe altogether than they were to catching Arsenal, who took their foot off the gas having secured CL football before the end of the season.
    And as for Arsenal's injuries, we had it just as bad.
    No, you really didn't.
    your squad is either strong enough or it isnt.
    What? Every team is weakened when they get injuries to their key players. The more you get, the more performance is impacted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

cson wrote:
    But they are! :p

On that note the Gunners confirmed the signing of Lukasz Fabianski, a young polish goalkeeper today. Will he replace mad Jens? He pretty much conforms to type as a typical Wenger signing, good young player with plenty of potential.

I would be slightly worried if i was a gunners fan myself for next season. William Gallas and Thierry Henry have both stated they need more experience players if they are to challenge next season. I can't see Wenger spending to much this season. Every week they are linked to young up and coming players, but for the likes of Gallas and Henry they want success now and not in five years when i think Arsenal will have a fantastic team as long as they keep the current players and wenger stays. I do think that Fabregas will leave arsenal, maybe next summer. I like Diaby very much and think he will be a BIG player for arsenal next season.

And if my Aunt had a penis she'd be my Uncle. These two games where Spurs were comprehensively outplayed. Spurs were closer to missing out on Europe altogether than they were to catching Arsenal, who took their foot off the gas having secured CL football before the end of the season.

:eek: How original:rolleyes:
    What? Every team is weakened when they get injuries to their key players. The more you get, the more performance is impacted.

Yes and you either have a strong enough squad to cope with the injuries or you dont! Seems simple enough to comprehend:confused:

When we lost King, Jenas, Lennon, Chimbonda, YPL, Assou Ekotto, Tainio we didnt really have the quality to replace them. That is an area we have to imrove on. Dont worry I was making a point about my team with that comment not about your beloved Le Arse:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'll create an Arsenal Vs The Tiny Tots thread if you want to have a go at each other on it. This thread is about Summer transfers and its slowly descending into a "can the tiny tots make the top 4 next season" thread.

Anyway back on topic, does anyone think the £18 million or so Man Utd are paying for Hargreaves is a tad expensive? He's not really worth it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Possibly it is over the odds but I'm happy to pay that - as with Carrick - if it delivers the Premiership. Carrick was undoubtedly overpriced but that will always be the case with United. He added a dimension we needed, as will Hargreaves. At an excess cost? Undoubtedly, but the proportional reward it will help deliver (Premiership again, Champions League?) will vindicate the cost...IMO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't know, name me a better defensive MC out there and we can see how much he would cost. Hargreaves is a proven talent, at a top team, who is consistent week in week out, and can put in big performances when needs be (in the 2-2 draw against Milan would be the most recent)
    How many players are there out there that fit the bill, and would also instantly slot into a premiership side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Babybing wrote:
    With the additions of Bale and Kaboul and with Ledley avoiding injury hopefully we will be much tighter defensively next season.

Yeah good luck with that one. Seriously, Ledley King must be the most injured man alive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Rumour has it that King's knee problems have pretty much ended his career - hence Kaboul coming in.

If spurs can hang on to Berbs and Keane, and sort out a decent left midfield player, they'll be threatening the top 4 next season.

thrill wrote:
    Arsenal have signed a new goalkeeper. Fabianski is his name and he is 22.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6850682

Baptista "The beast" is going back to real madrid.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6845328

And also along with those, the third choice 'keeper Mart Poom has gone to Watford http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/watford/6695577.stm

So i'd imagine Wenger is going to try and get most of his business done quickly. Still talks of Ribery coming and i seriously cannot see Fabregas going anywhere, especially for the laughable sum of 15m and to Madrid as well, as we all know if he's going to go anywhere it would be barca and that'd be a few years time i think

Babybing wrote:
    Yes and you either have a strong enough squad to cope with the injuries or you dont! Seems simple enough to comprehend:confused:
    That's a load of sh1te, to be honest.

That's a load of sh1te, to be honest.

Fine reasoned argument there Pepe LeFrits and might I add a very appropriate username for a gooner:p :D

Babybing wrote:
    Fine reasoned argument there Pepe LeFrits and might I add a very appropriate username for a gooner:p :D
    Tit for tat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Bayern Munich president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has confirmed the signing of Italy star Luca Toni.

The former Germany international striker announced that Bayern had agreed a deal with Fiorentina worth "exactly €11m (£7.5m)" for the 30-year-old World Cup winner.
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?HLID=469305&CPID=22&title=Bayern+confirm+Toni+deal&lid=&channel=Football_Home&f=rss&clid=156

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Thats a good price for him, wonder why he wanted to leave Fiorentina, fair play to him though for not moving to another Italian club out of respect for the Viola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

especially seeing as they mised out on Champions League qualification...probably better wages swung it for him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Muntari confirmed
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/6702005.stm

Once we get either Defoe or Yakubu, then I reckon we will have a pretty damn good squad. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

west ham have officaly bid 8.5m for Scott Parker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=431940

Manchester United is delighted to announce it has agreed terms in principle with FC Porto for the purchase of the registration of Anderson.

Personal terms have been agreed and a formal announcement will take place once the necessary administrative procedures, including a medical have been completed.

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Tauren wrote:
    http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=431940

Manchester United is delighted to announce it has agreed terms in principle with FC Porto for the purchase of the registration of Anderson.

Personal terms have been agreed and a formal announcement will take place once the necessary administrative procedures, including a medical have been completed.

Brilliant
    Ye also have Nani in the bag too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

question is... was Anderson an opportunistic signing / spur of the moment thing (seeing as I never heard mention of interest or the smallest rumour about it) or is that Fergy well and truly done for the summer seeing as Hargreaves will be coming along shortly you'd imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I dinno if it's been mentioned but Gary Dicker from UCDD to Stockport County, €60,000

question is... was Anderson an opportunistic signing / spur of the moment thing (seeing as I never heard mention of interest or the smallest rumour about it) or is that Fergy well and truly done for the summer seeing as Hargreaves will be coming along shortly you'd imagine?
    I think it was planned, but not until recently. I remember reading a few weeks ago that Martin Ferguson had bee to watch anderson play a few times.

However it came about, i'm delighted. We won't be short of pace and skill up top next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I really like this Anderson signing, it's kinda like the Cole signing, people going, where the **** did that come from?

I'm delighted with the signings but one thing that puzzels me is how did United get them? I'm pretty sure that Porto had agreed to act as Chelseas feeder club as part of the mourinho deal ?

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    I'm delighted with the signings but one thing that puzzels me is how did United get them? I'm pretty sure that Porto had agreed to act as Chelseas feeder club as part of the mourinho deal ?

i would be surprised if that is the case, considering that Jose's departure wasn't exactly on the best of terms, and the Porto president was happy with him, or with chelsea.

Tauren wrote:
    i would be surprised if that is the case, considering that Jose's departure wasn't exactly on the best of terms, and the Porto president was happy with him, or with chelsea.

I was pretty sure I had heard that Porto and Chelsea had done a deal so I did a bit of googleing and came up with quite a few reports about it like the one below.

Last night, Porto announced that they had cancelled the final two years of Mourinho's deal with them after agreeing a compensation package with Chelsea. As part of the deal the two clubs have signed an agreement by which Porto will effectively act as a feeder club for Chelsea, who will be given first option, for five years, on their young players in return for financing their discovery and training.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article40916.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Joey Barton to almost certainly sign for Newcastle today. Only depends on Scott Parker joining West Ham. Fee for Barton is thought to be the £5.5 million he has as a release clause. Losing him and Distin is a huge blow. Time is ticking on a takeover bid. The more it goes on the less time we have to buy over the summer . It's not looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

it's not all doom and gloom for city ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/6715989.stm

"Manchester City chairman John Wardle could make Graeme Souness the club's new manager amid fears that Thaksin Shinawatra's attempted £90m takeover has hit a stumbling block (Sunday Mirror) "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

it's not all doom and gloom for city ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/6715989.stm

"Manchester City chairman John Wardle could make Graeme Souness the club's new manager amid fears that Thaksin Shinawatra's attempted £90m takeover has hit a stumbling block (Sunday Mirror) "

Oh that's just lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Titus Bramble has joined Wigan Athletic on a free transfer.

• Advertisement

BERLIN (AFP) - French midfielder Franck Ribery will join Bayern Munich this summer, a source close to the club revealed on Friday, in a deal believed to be worth 15 millions euros (20 million US dollars).

The attacking midfielder, 24, will switch from Olympique Marseille to the German giants and the holder of 16 caps earned his reputation as one of the star performers at last year's World Cup, when the French made the final.

With the nine million euros transfer of German international defender Marcell Jansen from Borussia Moenchengladbach confirmed on Friday, the club will have splashed out 24 million euros (32 million US dollars) to bolster their squad.

After Bayern finished fourth in the Bundesliga last season, their worst performance for more than ten years, coach Ottmar Hitzfeld has promised sweeping changes in a bid to bring success back to the German giants.

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2007/May/25/bayern-sign-french-star-ribery

Arsenal were supposed to be interested in him but he's gone to bayern for 15 million euro. Quite a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Wigan have won the race to sign Antonine Sibierski from Newcastle.

The French forward turned down a one-year offer to remain at St James' Park and he has now agreed a two-year deal at The JJB Stadium.

Sibierski, is understood to have had offers from a number of teams including Bolton, was pleased to see his future resolved.

"I am delighted to have my future sorted," Sibierski told Wigan's official website.

"The manager impressed me hugely and this is clearly a very ambitious club. I can't wait to get started."

The arrival of Sibierski means he is the second player to arrive from Newcastle in 24 hours after Titus Bramble also signed on the dotted line for The Latics.

Wigan boss Chris Hutchings added: "Antoine is a player I have admired a lot ever since he came to England.

"He is strong and committed and will give everything to the cause. He is a player who can fill a number of different positions, in midfield or as a striker and I'm delighted to be able to add him to the squad."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=470242&CPID=8&clid=111&lid=2&title=Latics+land+Sibierski&channel=football_home&

Sibierski really is getting around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Titus Bramble has joined Wigan Athletic on a free transfer.
    He's overpriced at that!

The fallout of Jewells departure begins...

The Muppet wrote:
    Arsenal were supposed to be interested in him but he's gone to bayern for 15 million euro. Quite a bargain.

Everywhere else that i've seen it has said €25 million, e.g http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldFootballNews/idUKL0469737820070604
    and that it's not enitirely confirmed yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I would doubt the credibility of the Ribery story. He has been saying all year that he would only leave Marseille if they failed to qualify for the champions league. But they qualified, and now he's left them for Bayern who wont be in the champions league next year?

• Advertisement
Advertisement