Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question:Computers in UCD

Options
  • 22-05-2007 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey, I'm planning on going to UCD and I want to study computer science but recently I was told that the computers in UCD aren't the best and that I should go to another college.

My question is do you like, hate or don't mind the computers in the college. If I'm going to study computers then I'm probably going to be around them for a while and I'd prefer to have some that won't drive me up the wall.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Computers in UCD are prob as good/bad as any other college. To be fair to UCD, they do try and provide a good IT resource and in recent years it's gotten better. Some of their more recent projects like wireless, stand up PCs, etc have been very good.

You will always have people complaining about X and Y tbh.

As regards the computers for computer science, the comp sci dept run their own computer labs and they tend to be better spec'd and maintained than the ones for the general student population.

I think that they're (comp sci dept) moving away from providing large computer labs with lots of desktops to creating hot desk type environments which allow people to bring in their own laptop. So you might find they start running a laptop programme similiar to the Commerce one.

So from my personal experience of 10 years in UCD and as a compter science graduate, I have to give the computers in UCD a thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

If you study CS in UCS, you'll be able to use the computers in the computer science building, there's at least one per student.

This is actually pretty damn handy because you never need to queue for a computer.

I think CS are starting a laptop scheme for future years.
    Info here:
    http://csiweb.ucd.ie/LocalInformation/TechSupport/StudentLaptops.shtml

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In general the machines themselves are quite good - they are all 1-2 years old as a result of a big upgrade programme that was ongoing over the last year. Most run Windows XP Professional, however it's locked down quite a bit.

The usual stuff like e-mail, slightly heavier stuff like compiling and making games run if you managed to put them on an external drive will be no problem. The machines are probably a lot better than some of the cheapo ones that are in the leaflets in newspapers.

One of the poorer services in terms of uptime and quality is Blackboard, which is not very resilient despite having been put on souped up hardware.

Much of the student population own laptops, at least in engineering anyway. For what it's worth I own a Mac and have used Linux as well as Windows on my old laptop, so the network is more or less ok.

I miss the good ol' days when you could play counterstrike on the network.

There was a really nice "feature" where marking files as hidden meant they didn't get deleted from the hard drives in computer science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Do CA in UCD, it's the best course in the country for Programming if that's what you want

(It also has one of the highest fail rates too:D )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Brimmy wrote:
    (It also has one of the highest fail rates too:D )

I hope that you're joking I was thinking of doing the h.dip conversion course.
    Are the lecturers good? Any real horror modules?

What's CA? Computers and Arts? Computer Architecture?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

stolenwine wrote:

the lecturers are mostly good to great but there are some bad ones. It depends on who you get

FrozenUp wrote:
    Hey, I'm planning on going to UCD and I want to study computer science but recently I was told that the computers in UCD aren't the best and that I should go to another college.

My question is do you like, hate or don't mind the computers in the college. If I'm going to study computers then I'm probably going to be around them for a while and I'd prefer to have some that won't drive me up the wall.

Thanks for the help.

as someone said, computer science has a high dropout rate. Make sure you know what you are getting into before you apply. Computer science is NOT playing with windows in your spare time. Lots of maths and programming. Programming is either loved or hated by people. I'd recommend you try learn some basics and see if you would like to spend the next four years doing it.

In first year you will be thought java.

stebishop wrote:
    as someone said, computer science has a high dropout rate.
    Orly?

• Advertisement

No, it was Brimmy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Well, let me tell you what I know about computers...
    Step 1: Physical
    Step 2: Data Link
    Step 3: Network
    Step 4: Transport
    Step 5: Session
    Step 6: Presentation
    Step 7: Application
    Step 8: Ask Red Alert

I was all looking forward to this being a thread ranting about the computers. I've had so much bother with the one's in engineering in the past week!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

There are actually more computers than computer science students in 2nd year lab (well thats how it feels, never needed to queue for one ever...infact i usually get lots of space to spread out too :p ).

Comp Science has a lot of maths but less if u do it as a BA (you'll get comp science maths instead of more general maths. The maths is useful tho..)

To answer your question: i've never had a problem with the machines not having enough "oomph" to do a task that i needed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

B-K-DzR wrote:
    There are actually more computers than computer science students in 2nd year lab (well thats how it feels, never needed to queue for one ever...infact i usually get lots of space to spread out too :p ).

Comp Science has a lot of maths but less if u do it as a BA (you'll get comp science maths instead of more general maths. The maths is useful tho..)

To answer your question: i've never had a problem with the machines not having enough "oomph" to do a task that i needed to do.

QFT - our class this year is seriously small and the only problem in the lab is generally noise from people dropping in to use our computers :rolleyes:
    Computers in the lab are fine for anything you'll need to be doing in terms of lab work and they've clamped down (literally) on people nicking mice and keyboards, so that's no longer a problem and, as Robin said, there's plenty of space if you have a laptop too.
    I'm in the BA course that BK mentioned, and I can vouch for the less maths. As yet, it hasn't made any difference to the classes I've taken; I seem to get on as well as the rest of the lads who are taking maths modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Waltons wrote:
    the only problem in the lab is generally noise from people dropping in to use our computers :rolleyes:
    One of the funniest things I've seen all year was Tahar Kechadi exploding at someone not in our class who went to use a computer in the 3rd year lab...

As someone who does most of my programming in environments like MATLAB, or else Perl and C, and who learned programming from the perspective of engineering:
    • Maths is actually a big deal, you don't appreciate it until you want to do something relatively hard, or want to back up why you did something, or why you think it'll be faster, more accurate etc.
    • I'd love to have learned Java at some stage, but I think my current crop of languages and Visual Basic which I've used on and off have given me a permanent handicap on that one!
    To the OP, the CS people would probably explain this better, but having Java is amazing because everything from your phone to huge mainframes can all run java.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

FrozenUp wrote:

Thanks for the help.
    As a former computer science student, I would really only advise you in taking up the subject if you've an idea of the frustrations involved with programming, and maybe even a basic idea or get an introduction to programming. Most people don't find it in anyway easy. Its got a low points requirement for a reason!
    I dropped out of comp sci after my first year, I just found it way too tough. I thought it'd be the course for me after being on computers all my life, and knowing the architecture of a computer backwards. As I said already programming is frustrating, and a certain 2nd semester class which was thought by a very 'hardcore' lecturer had, from what I remember an 80% failure rate. He thought because he was a computer genius, that we all were! Another problem was the lack of social interaction within the class, and this wouldn't help at all when your looking for help on how to sort out an error in your script. Most of my class kept to themselves, and to their own gang of friends and some of them weren't interested in sharing their knowledge to help out. I've heard the courses in NCI and DIT are much, much more social and are more friendly I suppose you could say. Everyone in the class knows each other, and if you need help others in the class will provide. This is only an opinion I've gathered being a past student in comp sci, and having a friend who switched from the course in NCI to UCD.

I'd say if you don't have a genuine interest in computer programming already, steer away from this course. Its not for the faint hearted!

Back to your question, there is no problem with the computers in UCD at all, there not too dated and most are only used for the day to day tasks like bebo etc. They definitely won't drive you up the wall!
    Good luck in your choice.

EDIT:
    Brimmy wrote:
    Do CA in UCD, it's the best course in the country for Programming if that's what you want
    I've actually been told that in more recent years Computer Science graduates from colleges like NCI are more sought after than the UCD/TCD grads. No idea how true that is, but I can understand why that could be the case.

Just to counter Notorious remark about comp sci not being social. (I'm not questioning your experience, but I want to give my own view point).

I found Comp Sci to be very social, prehaps not on the level as Eng (which I also did) but it was still good. I always found there was a good atmosphere and that people weren't shy in asking for help from their class mates and in getting it in return.

And later as a demonstrator to first years, I would always see people getting into groups to solve the lab work (which has it's pros and cons). But there was def a social interaction going on between class maths.

just my view point as I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've actually been told that in more recent years Computer Science graduates from colleges like NCI are more sought after than the UCD/TCD grads. No idea how true that is, but I can understand why that could be the case.
    Courses in places like NCI and the ITs have much more of a practical focus in their CS courses than UCD/TCD would, and quite a lot of those courses also include a work experience placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

stolenwine wrote:
    First year CS perspective at the momentL

The "computer" lecture are decent, the maths lecturers however are woeful at best. So much so I haven't gone to any maths lectures since September/October. Trusting my honours leaving cert maths book more than their notes too. Somehow they manage to make the most simple concept seems foreign:confused:

No horror modules that I can think of. You have to do a project for one in the second semester but its not too bad. Programming modules are simple enough, even if you had no past experience with it. Maths, as mentioned above, but are relatively easy exams. I can't be bothered listing every module but most of them tend to have 40% continuous assesment or slightly more/less which makes sitting the final exam much easier.

• Advertisement

COMP D001 Programming and Data Structures
    COMP D002 Computer Architecture
    COMP D003 Information Technology and Applications
    COMP D005 Web Based Information Systems
    COMP D006 Software Engineering:
    COMP D007 Interactive Multimedia Systems
    COMP D008 Computer Architecture: Networks
    COMP D009 Operating Systems I
    COMP D010 Artificial Intelligence
    COMP D011 Software Engineering: Object-Oriented Programming

That's a list of the modules for the course. My previous experience is some digitisation of objects and html and I did ordinary level leaving cert maths :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Red Alert wrote:
    To the OP, the CS people would probably explain this better, but having Java is amazing because everything from your phone to huge mainframes can all run java.
    Really? Wow... why are we learning crappy C so?

And I never knew there were so many Comp Sci people on this

I think you have to absolutely love programming to do it. I liked doing it in robotics but that could just be cos I like breaking things and when I can get a robot to do it, thats all the more better. But my brain seems to bleed when ever I've to sit down for 3 hours and do computer programming. But I can't avoid it so I just gotta get on with it!

IRLrobins did English, he's just trying to pretend he did Engineering :cool:

gubbie wrote:
    IRLrobins did English, he's just trying to pretend he did Engineering :cool:
    Pft! Three years of Elec Eng under my belt thank you very much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I think I'm in the same year as Notorious, except I continued on with computer science after first year, and I'd be somewhat in agreement with him over social interaction in first year; I found it quite hard to get to know people for a while. That said though, I'm doing a joint major with Economics, and I've since found it a lot easier to find friends within Comp Sci than I have in Economics - possibly due to class sizes and specified lab times which, unlike tutorials, would leave you for 1-2 hours to sort out programming exercises, rather than being like a mini lecture.
    I'd agree with Robin in that the programming labs are good for getting to know people, especially in first year when you're on an equal skill level with most other people there. Obviously, there are some cons involved with students working in groups, but it's a good chance to meet people in the class anyway!

I'm not so sure about only taking the course if you've a previous interest in programming - I had no previous programming experience and I enjoy the course a lot - but I would say that you have to have the sort of mindframe Notorious pointed out and be either knowledgeable about frustrations involved in programming, or have an interest in solving problems.

Some of the modules can be quite challenging, requiring teamwork over a semester to complete a given project. Obviously if you're in a good team with people who are willing to work, this isn't a giant problem, but I found team projects in first year rather hard, more due to lack of programming experience than anything else. Other modules I've found generally fine once you keep up with the coursework from week to week, and the demonstrators in labs are very helpful most of the time.

Of course, this is all just in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Waltons wrote:
    I think I'm in the same year as Notorious......I'm doing a joint major with Economics...
    Haha! I was doing a joint major in economics too, but thank god they let me switch out of Comp Sci and into 2nd Arts.
    I'd agree with you that economics have huge classes, so what usually happens is your talking to someone you don't know one day, then the next day your talking to someone else you don't know. The classes are so big, it can be difficult & daunting to make friends. The labs are a great way to get to know people, but in some cases I still found it difficult to talk to some people who just weren't interested in helping out at all. Thats only some people though!

I think C is the language taught in eng because Java has a high overhead. C is great if you want to do things like speed up math problems rather than coding them in something higher-level like MATLAB. Java loses a lot of that performance advantage.

Java however starts to become a better idea when you're writing a large application, like on the scale of Microsoft Word.

Really? Wow... why are we learning crappy C so

C code runs "natively" as machine code, so it can run quite a bit faster.

Historically, Java was kind of clunky and slow, but it's improved a fair bit. Java code can run on anything with a "java virtual machine" installed on it. That's a kind of program which pretends to be a computer, which runs the java code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

FrozenUp wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Right don't do comp sci, I'll leave other people to that but I do know about computers in general in UCD. Computer services have a 3 year policy about computers, i.e. computer rooms are upgraded every three years - they're done in rounds so the oldest pc you should ever find is three years.

Disclaimer: I won't include lecturers - my fav lecturer PBL until 2 weeks ago had a first generation iMac.

don't mean to keep bumping the thread but how much practical experience do you get with the hard ware or is it all programming and aplications?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Very little hands on hardware in first and second year, it's more the theory behind it. Dunno if that changes in third year.

Advertisement