Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question:Computers in UCD

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I just finished a joint CS/maths course, and you don't learn anything about the hardware side of things, you'll have to learn that on your own.
    There are some computer architecture modules which teach you how processors work and stuff, but you'll never be putting a computer together.

These are the courses I took:
    First year: Java programming, basic comp. architecture

Second year: data structures, more java programming, introduction to recursion, more computer architecture

Third year: introduction to AI, C++ programming, design of an interpreter (basically you write your own programming language), operating systems

Fourth year: AI for games, concurrent programming (splitting programs on multiple processors), neural networks, and spatial information systems (fecking geography on computers. Godawful).

As a full CS student you'd do more than this, I took half as many modules as the others.

You might want to start reading slashdot if you're thinking about doing computers: http://slashdot.org/
    If you look up all the stuff you don't understand in the articles, you'll learn at least as much as you do in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Woof!

Im heading into 3rd Year Comp Sci in UCD in September. To be honest it's not that bad, there's a wee jump in second year but that's assumed in any course. The one thing I would say is do first year right and you'll be way ahead of everyone in 2nd year, I learned this the hard way.

With regards to computers in CSI (computer science and informatics, not Horatio Cane[cain??]) you dont need a super huge computer to program in first year, or in any year to be honest. I mean the head of Googles Java division uses a P2 machine at home!

All the computers are Dell Optiplex something or others with crt monitors, I heard a rumour they were getting updgraded but there's no need. They all also have graphics cards and can play Quake, if you know where it is!
    edit: As Rainbow Kirby pointed out there are a few laptop spots, mainly desks against one wall in the labs that are set aside for laptops, but if you want to sit with friends plug out the psu to a lab machine, BUT PLUG IT BACK IN grrr.

Modules are all pretty standard as with any course and are in a nutshell what Fremen listed ^^^^^. If you have any questions about them hit me with a PM. Also don't forget to pick stupidly easy electives. There's a few computer one's that spring to mind, one involving MS Word in Ag Science, there's one in Med somewhere where you google image search for your first two practicals and there's one in Quinn called Intro to computer information systems, also e-business is reportedly a piece of piss! ;)

Hope this was helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

E-business is indeed very easy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Woof! wrote:
    There's one in Med somewhere where you google image search for your first two practicals.

I'd say you're speaking of Healthcare Informatics. One of the easiest courses that ever existed. When I did it last year it came to the last week and we'd covered about a third of the theory all year and he managed to do the rest in about an hour and a half. That's how little is in it.

Oh warning though; if you do take this module, if it's anything like the time I took it, the lecturer will be teaching the course to about 3/4 different classes so won't actually remember what lecture/ practical you're on so you get a good few lectures twice.

Hardest thing you do computers wise is you learn how to use Microsoft Access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sh0rty7

Hey first post! I did my leaving this year so going into college in september and I got computer science in arts as my no.1. I read on the ucd website they had modules(albeit I think only in 3rd and 4th year) in multimedia design and graphics for games and the web and also a couple modules in motion picture post production.I wanna be a graphic designer so I was hopin this would be a good basic start that I wud actually get a job out of.I know theres not much graphic stuff but can anyone whos doin the degree tell me how much there actually is?
    thanx ;)

oh and also if I didnt like it and wanted to move to 2nd year arts after 1st year and do english cud I?or is that impossible cos I wudnt of been able to do english+computers in 1st year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

all computer systems were updated throughout the year.
    they are just as good as anywhere else

Advertisement