Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Script to get system info on NT4

Options
  • 22-05-2007 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've written a Visual Basic Script that audits the local PC and returns info such as hardware (CPU, RAM, HD space, etc) and what software is installed.

But because the script makes use of Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), it won't run on a standard NT4 PC as it doesn't have WMI installed by default.

So does anyone know a script that will run on NT4 (assuming a standard installation) that will allow me to extract the same info as my vbs? I have a feeling we have some rogue NT4 machines out there that I might have to audit as well.

Cheers

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can install WMI on NT 4.0, apparently it offers 15 interfaces.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=C174CFB1-EF67-471D-9277-4C2B1014A31E

Just have a batch file for the NT 4 machines that checks to see if this is installed, installs it if not, then executes your script. Hopefully it will work.

If you can't install this...em...it probably depends on the info you're looking for. I know there was a "WinNt://" interface that still works in VbScript on Win2k/3/XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

BGInfo gets some of the info alright, thanks

As regards installing WMI, I'm working on the assumption that I can't install any additional software.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

How about PSTools. I used to use that when I supported NT. One of the tools allows you to run commands remotely. I used to run psinfo > servername.txt and then used VBS to tidy up the output so I could use it in my reports.

Edit. The PSTools stuff doesn't need to be installed. Just copied to your admin box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

You could get the script to execute the "msinfo32" command. This gives you all the info about the computer, including IRQ settings. Very useful if the msinfo32 pop up window is what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Cheers guys. Psinfo and msinfo32 might suffice. Of course I'll prob find that none of the NT4 machines exist beyond the asset register. :rolleyes:

Advertisement