Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a 2nd shower

Options
  • 22-05-2007 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Own a standard 3 bed semi d house. One electric shower in the en suite. The 2nd bathroom has a shower hose coming out of the taps, no shower system on the wall or anything, and it runs of the immersion tank but has very little power.

We always use the electric shower but over the winter months we have alot of hot water going to waste as a result of the heating being on and the water not being used up.Can I install a system whereby the power can be boosted and this can be used as a 2nd shower.

What are the options I have
    What would I need to complete this (apart from a plumber)
    What would be an average price for this type of work.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I can only help with the principle - I've heard that it can be possible to install a booster pump. Problem is, it's gonna tear through your hot water supply really really quickly and empty your HW tank in very short order indeed, unless you're careful.

If you could deal with the lower pressure, why not use the shower in the main bathroom? Save on electricity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Darren R

You have a few options.The best is probably to install a punp shower in your second bathroom.It only consumes a small amount of power so you dont have to worry about overloading your circuits.you will have to run a hot and cold pipe from your hotpress.you can pur off a socket circuit for your power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Thanks guys, I was afraid that it would go through the hot water very fast. Any ideas of prices for this type of works. I have al;ready got quotes ranging from 500 to 800 for parts and labour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 seanmc

I got a similar job done last year - basically got a power shower installed which is a great job. Something similar to this :
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=70070&ts=31451

I priced around and eventually got a plumber to do it for around €200. Most plumbers weren't interested.

I have to say it makes a huge difference and well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

The cheapest option is probably seanmc's suggestion.
    Improved pressure but still needing immersion to heat water.

The deluxe option pressure-wise is a pump in your hot press (monsoon, aqua-lisa, thomas stanley).Much improved pressure to every water outlet, bath full in half the time, but still relying on hot water being available.
    This costs about 550 i think?

The convenient option is a Triton T90Si or Mira Elite(i think, more used to the Triton myself).Improved pressure,heats the water itself. Of course the convenient option is rather inconveniently the most expensive, about 700 euro.

Personally,if I only wanted to use the hot water available, I would go for the pump in the hot press. The water pressure will make it worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I had the same problem as you OP and last month I bought a booster pump in B&Q for €220ish that you install into the hot press.

It has an adjuster nozzle also so you can adjust the pressure to suit. I have mine around half way at the moment and it's the job. Plenty of hot water in a full tank for two showers. Probably won't use it as much in the summer as I won't have the heating on but the immersion on a timer will have it ready for the morning if you so need.

I hadn't a clue how to install it though. There were no fittings on the pipes in my hot tank, everything was soldered together so the hot and cold pipes had to be cut so I got a plumber to do it to be safe. He was free through work though so have no idea what he would cost.

It took him approx. 2-3 hours to do the job and now that he has done it and I saw what he did it is actually very easy to do as the pump comes with push in fittings that you just push onto the pipes where they are cut. Hindsight is a great thing though!!

I wired it into a seperate fused switch from the immersion supply so it can be turned off when you're not having a shower as it comes on everytime the water is used in the house. A handyman would have no bother putting it together for you cheaply.

It shouldn't cost anymore that €400 all in I would imagine. It'll be well worth it though. Free hot water in the winter as you'll have the heating on anyway and proper power in the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hjsimpson

I would recommend the Mira Event shower as it takes in hot and cold water and pumps it. It does not heat the water and there fore does not take big power.It could be fitted over the bath and a branch taken from the hot and cold tap pipes. Costs about €400 but can be fitted with minimal upheval.
    I have a Mira Elite fitted in the main bathroom, for instant hot water, and a Mira Event fitted in the ensuite to take advantage of the constant hot water in the cylinder.
    Ideally a seperate hot supply should be taken from the hot cylinder.........via a surrey flange fitted on the hot water outlet on top of the tank.

Advertisement