Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do u need to tax your car?

Options
  • 22-05-2007 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I know you can tax it online etc when you have your pin number.. but for the first time i presume a visit to the tax office is in order.

I have the registration document back with the change of ownership etc but what else do I need.

insurance disc? What about a letter from the garage saying it has been off the road for a couple of months - would i need this ? dont want to be paying backtax! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think that you can use the last 4 or 5 digits of the car's chassis number as the PIN. Or you maybe able to ring them and they will give a new PIN over the phone.

Regarding back tax, if you bought the car recently then you only have to back pay road tax from the begining of the month from which you became the new owner of the car. In other words if you bought the car on 20th April then you only have to back pay the tax to the 1st April.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

I know you can tax it online etc when you have your pin number.. but for the first time i presume a visit to the tax office is in order.

I have the registration document back with the change of ownership etc but what else do I need.

insurance disc? What about a letter from the garage saying it has been off the road for a couple of months - would i need this ? dont want to be paying backtax! :)

You could post an application form to the tax office - you don't have to go there in person.

You also don't need any documents. If it's a private car, just fill out the details on the form (reg. number, name/address, insurance particulars, etc.) and indicate how long you want to tax it for.

Also, garages don't give any such letters; the Guards do (although it's not a letter - just a section of the application form to be stamped). But, as bazz26 said, you're only liable from the start of the month in which the date of sale happened (motor tax only works on a monthly basis so, even if your ate of sale was on the last day of the month, you'll get charged the full thing. :( )

And the chassis pin number thing is only for newly registered cars.

Tommy.

Advertisement