Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock the Vote throw in the towel?

Options
  • 22-05-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

So, eh, looks like the Rock the Vote campaign has finally given up. Whilst I accept the assertion that the Thursday poll will knock onto turnout, the RTV folks didn't exactly run an electrifying campaign...

Link to Article Below
    Vote campaigners fear low turnout

Tue, May 22, 2007

The turnout in Thursday's election could plunge to the lowest in the history of the State, it was claimed today.

The number of citizens casting their ballots has plummeted by tens of thousands of voters over the past 20 years from 74 per cent in 1982 to only 63 per cent in 2002.

Ireland has one of the worst voter turnouts among young people in Europe and the Rock The Vote campaigners believe a Thursday poll will not help this situation.

"Many students are doing finals and won't be able to get home to vote if they live elsewhere," said Rock The Vote executive director Patrick Cosgrave.

Mr Cosgrave added: "We never had so many people in the 18-24 age bracket, and they make up a large chunk of the electorate now. I would be massively surprised if we don't drop below the 60 per cent turnout level."

Only 25 per cent of 18 to 24-year-olds in Ireland voted in the last election, compared with 80 per cent in Sweden.

Last year's €12 million overhaul of the electoral register by the Government may not be enough to stem the decline.

But Trinity College politics expert Prof Michael Marsh believes there is more public interest in the current general election compared to previous polls.

"There is more engagement but the accuracy of the electoral register will be key to turnout," Prof Marsh, who is compiling the biggest ever study of voter behaviour, added.

"Many people believe that there are still tens of thousands of names listed twice and others who should be on it and aren't listed."

In 2002, the highest turnout was 73.36 per cent in Cork North West and the lowest was 51.96 per cent in Dublin South Central.

© 2007 ireland.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Calling the election for a Thursday was a poor decision on Bertie's part.

On another point, FF spent 12 mil overhauling the voting register and yet there's still people getting two polling cards. For god sake how hard can it be to attach your right to vote to your PPS number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its obviously beyond this government's competency. Is is possible for an election to be void if a certain percentage doesn't turn out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Due to it being tight more people might be enticed to vote. But in terms of students/young people, a lot that I know with exams/jobs in Dublin won't be going home to vote as it's too much hassle.

Oirthir wrote:
    So, eh, looks like the Rock the Vote campaign has finally given up. Whilst I accept the assertion that the Thursday poll will knock onto turnout, the RTV folks didn't exactly run an electrifying campaign...

The fact that they're issuing a press release on this topic suggests that it was planned, perhaps as a scare tactic in order to say 'your vote counts even more'.

On the point Prof. Marsh said, my sister has two votes with one with her middle name, and one without. She'll be using just the one, but it's still a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

stepbar wrote:

Well, not if you look at it from his point of view.

He doesn't want young people, that are struggling to buy a house after 10 years of FF/PD policies, that are upset by our part in the war on Iraq, that are tired from commuting long distances from sleeper towns or packing on to early trains being able to give this government the kick up the arse (opposition for a decade) that it sorely needs.

They want people that have become wealthy from the property boom, and other demographics with high election day turnout - like pensioners and their kids (ref - the E300 pension highlighted in the FF campaign) to come and vote for more of the same.

They know that people that aren't that well off will find it hard to get the time to care about the election or the energy to go and do something about it.

So, from his point of view, having an election right at the end of the SSIA boom, on a Thursday, in exam season, should stop a lot of people that are angry with the government from actually going and doing anything about it.

• Advertisement

and OP, why do you think they have thrown in the towel? RTV are working in the same building as me and Paddy told me yesterday that this could be a movement that takes half a decade to become established.

Myth wrote:
    On the point Prof. Marsh said, my sister has two votes with one with her middle name, and one without. She'll be using just the one, but it's still a bit odd.

And still all the various authorities have their own little systems and ways of collecting up the names. Instead of implementing a nationwide framework for creating the voting register we have local authorities doing the job independently of each other. Nobody should be getting two polling cards no matter where they live or will live in the future.

edanto wrote:
    Well, not if you look at it from his point of view.

He doesn't want young people, that are struggling to buy a house after 10 years of FF/PD policies, that are upset by our part in the war on Iraq, that are tired from commuting long distances from sleeper towns or packing on to early trains being able to give this government the kick up the arse (opposition for a decade) that it sorely needs.

They want people that have become wealthy from the property boom, and other demographics with high election day turnout - like pensioners and their kids (ref - the E300 pension highlighted in the FF campaign) to come and vote for more of the same.

They know that people that aren't that well off will find it hard to get the time to care about the election or the energy to go and do something about it.

So, from his point of view, having an election right at the end of the SSIA boom, on a Thursday, in exam season, should stop a lot of people that are angry with the government from actually going and doing anything about it.

QFT but it still was a poor decision from my point of view I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

edanto wrote:
    and OP, why do you think they have thrown in the towel? RTV are working in the same building as me and Paddy told me yesterday that this could be a movement that takes half a decade to become established.

Well, I think they've thrown in the towel for this Election.

Their stated aim was to increase the turnout. They just said the turnout was actually going to drop.

The PR is akin to one of the major political parties saying "Oh well, we're not going to win this election, cause none of our supporters are going to vote."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Oirthir wrote:
    Well, I think they've thrown in the towel for this Election.

Their stated aim was to increase the turnout. They just said the turnout was actually going to drop.

The PR is akin to one of the major political parties saying "Oh well, we're not going to win this election, cause none of our supporters are going to vote."

No, it's a lot more like a candidate suggesting that they're in danger of losing their seat and need all the support that they can get to retain it, in order to make sure that people do turn out and vote.

There was a full page ad in today's Irish Times for the Rock the Vote campaign, so I'm guessing this was just another part of the campaign to make sure that people get out and vote on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Only 25 per cent of 18 to 24-year-olds in Ireland voted in the last election
    Well, duh, possibly that could be to do with the fact it was five years ago and most of them weren't 18 then :rolleyes:
    Most. Stupid. Use of Statistics. Ever.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

ninja900 wrote:
    Well, duh, possibly that could be to do with the fact it was five years ago and most of them weren't 18 then :rolleyes:
    Most. Stupid. Use of Statistics. Ever.

It obviously means people who were 18-24 at the time, people who would now be 23-29.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

stepbar wrote:
    On another point, FF spent 12 mil overhauling the voting register and yet there's still people getting two polling cards. For god sake how hard can it be to attach your right to vote to your PPS number?

It's a good point. Another example is why didn't they update the register at the same time as the census.

It comes down to government departments not sharing information for a few different reasons like confidentiality

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ullu wrote:
    It obviously means people who were 18-24 at the time, people who would now be 23-29.
    Actually, there are now more people in their late 20s than their early 20s so they are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ullu wrote:
    D'oh! it was reported on the radio as saying "most 18-24 year olds have never voted" which isn't exactly surprising - local and Euro elections don't exactly set the pulse racing for most people.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Victor wrote:
    Actually, there are now more people in their late 20s than their early 20s so they are wrong.

What do you mean? I took the quote in the article to mean that in the last election, 25% of the 18-24 year olds at the time voted. Am I missing something?

Maybe Victor was referring to the throwaway point that was made in the original article ("we have never had so many people in the 18-24 bracket") - but either way it doesn't seem so important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

stepbar wrote:

Yeah because Bertie thought it would be good for voter turn out and it was a genuine mistake on his part :rolleyes:

It is essentially about as close as he could come to riggin the election without the help of the electronic voting systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

A student vote odds on wouldnt be a fianna fail vote - so its great for them.

However after USI and the various Students Unions around the country making a serious drive to get students registered to vote before christmas, and the time I put in on that, I feel its a kick in the teeth. Why even try when its all conspired against us sometimes. ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Why is it called rock the vote anyway? its a stupid, desperate attempt to be rad and down with the yoof choice of name, Michael Stipe probably came up with it originally.
    Is is possible for an election to be void if a certain percentage doesn't turn out?

it absolutely should be. :mad:

BTW did anything happen with the possibility that many dublin constituencies were above the limit set in the constitution for TDs per head of population :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

They spend e12 million to update the register???? To say I'm fumming is an understatement. 12million!!!! What the he-ll did they spend that on?

I could of got two polling cards had I not rang the cork office to tell them that I was now registered in Dublin.

I'll be taking all statistics that relate to the percentage of voters with a huge pinch of salt.
    A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

&#231 wrote: »
    A student vote odds on wouldnt be a fianna fail vote - so its great for them.

However after USI and the various Students Unions around the country making a serious drive to get students registered to vote before christmas, and the time I put in on that, I feel its a kick in the teeth. Why even try when its all conspired against us sometimes. ah well.

UCDSU did a fantasic job this year in getting students onto the register.In my class alone we got 30 people on the register who'd never been on it before.
    However,I have to admit I know the best of intentions are behind the rock the vote camapign but I think its the most patronising thing I have ever seen in my life!Rossanna davidon and Katy French telling me to rock the vote. Young people are not stupid we dont need a miss world and underwear model to entice us young females into voting.If anything It outs me off voting.
    My vote is in Limerick so wont make it down today as had an exam this morning and am college tommorow.Really wanted to vote though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So why did you stay registered in Limerick?

Why not register in Dublin?

Yeah I know Panda, I was amazingly happy to see the number of people who turned out to register themselves - stopped me getting angry over student apathy for the billionth and one time.

Rock the vote has done good things and bad things - mycandidate.ie is the best thing to come out of it in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

So why did you stay registered in Limerick?

Why not register in Dublin?

It's easier said than done, most students in Dublin knew nothing about this option until about 3 days before the deadline. I only found out around the 6th of May, but luckily I was finished and able to move home in time to vote in my home constituency. My 2 housemates (Mayo and Waterford) weren't so lucky and are still in the middle of exams.
    I really have to commend UCD SU on the effort they made earlier this year, I couldn't get over how much encouragement my colleagues needed to register though, the SU literally had to set up camp in our school for the day, tell us about the campaign and even offering sweets just to get students to register. And from what I could see it worked, but it really shouldn't take that much effort.
    As for the naming of the campaign, as far as I know it's a non-profit independent organisation which originated in the US in the early 1990s, so it's not a matter of some marketing company somewhere in Dublin 2 being hired by Fianna Fáil and told to make voting trendy for students, it's an international and independent initiative, it's not unique to Ireland.

Yeah they did a great job on being non-partisan.

As far as the turnout percentages go, we can't really tell what they mean at all this time. What with the hundreds of thousands of RIPs taken off it (so, the turnout goes up, right?) and then a variety of 'clerical errors' (do these people use crayons and toilet roll!?!?) making voting cards a bit of a lottery (fermi might say that the doubles and the misses cancel each other out)... it's just impossible to be sure of that stat.

I wonder if RTV had any influence on what panda100 said was happening out at UCD? Did the SU do the same thing at the last election?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Bambi wrote:
    Why is it called rock the vote anyway? its a stupid, desperate attempt to be rad and down with the yoof choice of name, Michael Stipe probably came up with it originally.

QFT :)

Edanto: the UCD and TCD SU drives were a USI organised drive to get students registered to vote. was well before rock the vote attempted to take off anyhow.

Yeah, now that ya mention it, I vaguely remember the USI doing something when I was at dcu years ago.

Just saw some of the posters and releases on the USI site, looks like a well organised campaign.

• Advertisement

It was incredibly well run actually - even if there was a tiny bit of a ****up on information pertaining to it at one point. The USI eastern area officer was a huge help for TCDSU actually - including manning a stand a couple of times.

Advertisement