Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor Upgrade or Port to 3 & which phone?

• 22-05-2007 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

My mobile history is bill pay with Esat (O2) - Vodafone - O2 - Meteor.

At this stage I know I will never go back to Vodafone or O2, I had soooooo many problems with them and their excuse for customer services.

Have now qualified for a Meteor upgrade and am torn between doing that or porting to 3.

Since I've been on Meteor my bills are way down. I've had a few coverage issues but they've been sorted now. Am reasonably happy to stay, just wish their internet acces was better. Hence my considering 3.

I access the online services once or twice a week. My usage of the phone is mainly text messages, some international. We also travel a lot so roaming is an important consideration.

Should I go to 3?

If I stay with Meteor then it's time for a new phone. I currently have a Motorola pebl and quite like it, after I got used to the niggles of Motorolas. I do want to get another clamshell so my options with Meteor seem to be

Sony W300i
    Motorola v3i
    Nokia 6131

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Where do you travel to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mostly the US but also the UK/France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Well, 3 is great for the UK but useless for the other two at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meteor are pretty good for the UK too as long as you use T-Mobile. Free to receive, 20c a min to make a call (25c connection fee for PayG too).

To be honest, I'd not recommend any of the handsets you picked. I'm honestly go for any of the following from their selection.

Nokia 6300
    Nokia 6233
    Sony W810i
    Sony W610i
    Samsung D900
    Motorola K1 (If you really want to stick with Moto, this is the best of a poor bunch)

W300i has numerous problems, mainly the flex and software. 6131 has ****e battery life. V3i is just ****e.

Thanks. Meteor it looks like being again. TBH my bills are at least 25% lower than on the other networks, so I can put up with the minor inconveniences.

Will look at those phones...am used to a clamshell now but not willing to sacrifice quality for style so can switch. Does anyone know if any other manufacturers phones can upload data I've downloaded via Motorola phonetools? Would love to just be able to upload all my contacts...wishful thinking?

• Advertisement

Just copy them all onto your sim card. Failing that, most phones have the ability to send all contacts via bluetooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Regardless of what chrislad says ... if you REALLY want to stick with a MOtorola get a Sony Ericson :D i.e. never buy a Motorola.

ciaranfo wrote:
    Regardless of what chrislad says ... if you REALLY want to stick with a MOtorola get a Sony Ericson :D i.e. never buy a Motorola.

Heh. I agree but some people want to stick with Moto for some reason. Fear of getting another crap phone seems to be less than fear of the unknown :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

chrislad wrote:
    Heh. I agree but some people want to stick with Moto for some reason.
    masochists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

hi

am with meteor as well. my history is vodafone (8yrs pre-pay+bill) and now meteor (bill). at the moment they say i qualify for an upgrade. currently have an SE W800i.

was thinking of porting to 3. anyway, was down in carlow town last weekend. went into a mobile shop in the shopping centre there. they basically provide vodafone, o2, meteor and 3 pre-pay/bill phones.

was discussing possible move to 3 and low and behold the mgr of the shop (good looking bird too) advised me not to port to 3. even though she had 3 phones and adverts etc all over the shop she said she would advise me not too. she quoted the following reasons not to port to them (in her opinion):

1. customer Service leaves a lot to be desired.
    2. always blame somebody else, never or rarely accept any responsiblity.
    3. very hard to get damaged mobile phones repaired in timely manner.
    4. they do not provide webtext on their website. apparently other potential customers had pointed this out her when they came into the shop.

now i know these are just her opinions. but people on this website and other websites have posted the same. on the other hand there are people who have had good experiences with 3 as well.

i think i will avoid 3 for the moment. I will not go back to vodafone for the main reason the are the meanest shower of b******s on this planet. i mean they charge people the same amount of money for upgrades as they do for first time connections! so much for loyalty. not even going to consider o2, their plans looks very similiar to vodafone.

so looks like i will stay with meteor. not sure if i will take upgrade. i want to stick to SE brand phones, particularly the walkman phones. they will give me the SE W810i but as far as i am concerned there is not difference between that and the SE W800i. it will cost me €49 for SE W810i.

the lady in the shop did tell me meteor would be launching their 3G service around december of this year. anybody know if there is any truth in this?

• Advertisement

I really like the Pebl and now that I have the data cable and some accessories (and 2 chargers as my bluetooth headset is Motorola too) it would just be handier to change within the range. Having said all that I'm loving the Sony Ericsson phones.....will go play with some at lunchtime and decide then!

Thanks again

Advertisement