Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Kilkenny blaa a fake blaa?

• 22-05-2007 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

blaa.jpg

It was not quite doughy enough nor covered in flour. Part of the blaa experience is the need to dust oneself down afterwards!

Discuss :)

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Say it isnt so! The cats can't copy perfection!!
    Oh yes, its only a good blaa if you need a dust buster when you;re finished! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

NO TO THE BLAAGRAB!!!!!

Hand off Blaas!!!!!!

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had a so called blaa in Waterford Crystal cafe yesterday, and it was crispy! A knife could bounce off the top with a hollow crunch :eek: And only the smallest bit of flour. It was quite nice, but it wasn't a blaa.

I had a so called blaa in Waterford Crystal cafe yesterday, and it was crispy! A knife could bounce off the top with a hollow crunch :eek: And only the smallest bit of flour. It was quite nice, but it wasn't a blaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

looksee wrote:

must have been an eastern import:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

a blaa aint a blaa unless you're covered from head to foot in flour:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Whats the problem with the ones in the crystal centre lads, I was always under the impression that there were two types of Blaa available -

(1) The Soft & Floury
    Mouth wateringly soft and enough flour on it to cause a passers-by to collapse into coughing fits when the wind picks up.
    Best Served : With large amounts of REAL butter

(2) The Hard & Crispy
    Very little flour, harder texture to the Blaa, can tend to break into knife like crumbs when chewed and has been the ultimate fate of many Waterford man. Could possibly be yesterdays batch back on the shelf again or simply overcooked.
    Best Served : With huge amounts of ham and cheese inside

The nicest Blaas available are the ones fresh out of the Portlaw bakery in the mornings available in a local shop near you between the hours of 7 and 10 AM Mmm.

EDIT -
    Forgot to mention a Kilkenny Blaa usually not fake depending on where it is bought, areas close to the border such as Carrick-on-suir, Clonmel and so on are serviced by the Portlaw bakery who obviously feel sorry for the poor people of the county who are unsure as to what a "Blaa" is

Also, Blaa must be spelled with a capital "B"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

What about harney blaa's havent they been baked in kilmacow since the bakery in town closed ? and aren't comefords who used to be up in the hyper still baking theirs in Thomastown ? ( or have they shut down all together )

An for superquinns blaas they are more like baps !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Harney's Blaa's are still on the go - The Quays have them... Best blaa's in town too...even if they are made in KK :p

(Delivered at half 6 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

We get Harneys Blaa's in Bobby's Butchers in Ballytruckle. I think he lives out that way and brings em in with him when he comes to work.
    Crusty all the way tbh, floury ones suck the fat one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Jaysus lads I havent been home in 6 weeks since I broke me leg and I'm only dying for a good oul blaa after reading this!! Good job I'm heading back down home in 2 weeks!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

blaa's are from waterford, no ifs or buts!

Anything else is weird and against waterford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The Quays always got in fresh Blaas, they were so nice when filled with stuff at the deli, same for the ones in Ardkeen Stores. Does anyone here actually know how they are made, and for the record, you can get Blaas in South Kilkenny, the areas that border waterford get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Yeah you can get blaas in Kilmacow and up in Mullinivat, that's as far up as I've seen em anyway, lovely soft floury ones too. :) Soft ones seem to be hard to get these days, tescos only have hard ones and the things they sell in Superquinn hardly qualify as blaas. Ardkeen Stores and the Hyper do the nicest ones I've come across in town. :)

I remember in the Marian across from the Mercy it was a blaa for lunch four days a week and you were always asked soft or crusty, ah them were they days. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭benny

:) WHERE do I get a decent Blaa in Clonmel?I cant be running off to Waterford every time i want a Blaa

OK, so sorry Waterford Crystal, after 18 years living in Waterford I didn't realise there was any kind of blaa other than the soft, floury one. With butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Maharet wrote:
    Yeah you can get blaas in Kilmacow and up in Mullinivat, that's as far up as I've seen em anyway, lovely soft floury ones too.

That's for after the land-grab:rolleyes:

Advertisement