Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mini-PCI Wireless Bluetooth combi card

• 22-05-2007 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi.

My laptop has no bluetooth card built in. I'd like to retro-fit a bluetooth card internally as the dongle I'm using at the moment is a pain in the ar*e.

My laptop is a sony vaio FS415B.

I've just opened it up and there's only one mini-PCI slot which is occupied by a Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG network card. I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a combi (WiFi & Bluetooth) mini-pci card that I can put in instead. I googled it, but MSI are the only people that seem to do one, and that's only for their own laptops.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

overview.jpg
    Overview

close_up.jpg
    Close-up

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Can't see any myself on the net bar the MSI ones. I take it the laptop has no PCMCIA slots as Belkin sell such a bluetooth PCMCIA card.

I'll move this into the laptop forum someone else might know of such a mini-PCI card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

8T8 wrote:
    Can't see any myself on the net bar the MSI ones. I take it the laptop has no PCMCIA slots as Belkin sell such a bluetooth PCMCIA card.

I'll move this into the laptop forum someone else might know of such a mini-PCI card.
    Hi 8T8,

The laptop does have a PCMCIA slot, but the problem is the bit of the card that sticks out. I'd be worried that it'd get broken or worse, put strain on the laptop itself. Internal would be more convenient and a bit safer. But if it comes down to it, I'll get the PCMCIA card or this MoGo mini-usb device (not available yet).

Thanks,
    Ex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My PCMCIA bluetooth adapter doesn't stick out much at all. I don't have the exact measurements, but it is certainly less than an inch. And it's the full length of the card, and curved, so it's not liable to get caught in anything.

tom dunne wrote:
    My PCMCIA bluetooth adapter doesn't stick out much at all. I don't have the exact measurements, but it is certainly less than an inch. And it's the full length of the card, and curved, so it's not liable to get caught in anything.
    sounds good. what make is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

exactiv wrote:
    sounds good. what make is it?

Xircom, it's an older one.

• Advertisement

Found this on ebay.

pcbtv2c1f.jpg

Looks like it could be the solution....

Thanks lads.

Advertisement