Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my evergreen tree dead?

Options
  • 22-05-2007 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I have an evergreen tree ("Chamaecyparis" according to the label) in a pot on my balcony that has turned brown from top to bottom. I think that that the strong sun/warmth in April did it a lot of damage (and I probably should have watered it more!). Anyway, I was about to throw it out, but a green branch has appeared from the base of the tree and I am wondering if it can be saved.

Is it a lost cause or can I cut the tree back to let it sprout new branches/needles?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Without knowing what variety it is its a bit hard to say. A lot of this family grow huge, but if you bought it for a pot it may well be a dwarf one. For the moment dont cut it. Put it in a cooler situation (heat reflects off walls), keep watering it regularly, see what happens. It may survive. I did something similar to a conifer in a pot and I thought it was gone, but 12 months later it has come back completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Thanks looksee, I'll see what happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Almost certainly it has dried out at the roots. Scratch a little bark off the stem below where the new growth is. If it is green there is some hope. If it is small enough, immerse the whole pot in a bucket of water and leave until the rootball is totally saturated then move it out of the hottest sun and hope for the best. The brown foliage will never recover but the plant is stressed enough so I would leave it for the moment. Container plants need watering daily (at least) at this time of year, even if it is p***ing down with rain the leaf canopy can divert the rain away from the soil surface, so when watering don't just water over the top of the plant,water the actual soil.

Advertisement