Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RSS news feeds warning

• 22-05-2007 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Dunno if this has been posted already but anyway i had RSS news feeds on my mobile (SE K800i) that i never clicked on them to view, i was wondering how the credit was going so quickly on my phone, the first 2 times i put it down to drunken calls/ text messages until the other day i had €4 credit on my phone, the next day i had none so i checked online on the o2 website and found that i was charged for several GPRS calls i knew for a fact i didn't make, phoned O2 who refunded me the credit, went into the O2 shop and the guy there told me that it was the RSS feeds on my phone that update every hour or so was the reason why my credit was disappearing, i had no idea this was the case as i didn't click on the news feeds yet my credit was still being taken:mad: so the guy just deleted the RSS feeds but just a word of warning to anyone who has them on their phone, you will get charged even if you don't click on these news feeds.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

strange, usually these are off by default.
    thanks for the warning, its rediculus though,half the features we cant use because of gprs charges!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

jonny68 wrote:
    Dunno if this has been posted already but anyway i had RSS news feeds on my mobile (SE K800i) that i never clicked on them to view, i was wondering how the credit was going so quickly on my phone, the first 2 times i put it down to drunken calls/ text messages until the other day i had €4 credit on my phone, the next day i had none so i checked online on the o2 website and found that i was charged for several GPRS calls i knew for a fact i didn't make, phoned O2 who refunded me the credit, went into the O2 shop and the guy there told me that it was the RSS feeds on my phone that update every hour or so was the reason why my credit was disappearing, i had no idea this was the case as i didn't click on the news feeds yet my credit was still being taken:mad: so the guy just deleted the RSS feeds but just a word of warning to anyone who has them on their phone, you will get charged even if you don't click on these news feeds.

With Sony Ericssons you can set the RSS feeds to update at set intervals. Personally i have about 6 different feeds that update every hour from rte bbc guardian etc. I think they're great. Then again with 100mb of data for 10 quid a month its not a bid deal. Each rss feed is probably around 20kb so with o2 you'd be paying a cent a kilobyte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've used a number of Sony Ericssons and always off by default. Handy to check though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

If you have them set to update then your going to be charged!! Im being charged €5.99 a month on Three for 100mb so I can have them update as often as I want without worrying:) For some reason I wasnt able to get the RSS feed from RTE I must try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

The RTE feed doesn't work with the k800 for some reason. I would suggest using breakingnews.ie for irish news or bbc for international as they're updated more often than rte.

• Advertisement
Advertisement