Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line too weak

Options
  • 22-05-2007 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

My gf's house got an eircoms salesman saying they had BB available, they signed up and it didnt seem to work, i came over and checked and rang them and they THEN said that the phone line is too week so theyre gonna try cut the speed down to the bar minimum but still no avail [DSL light on modem, keeps flashing]

Tested their phone # on irishbroadband.ie and it said DSL is available but i would assume it would be the same thing?

location is way south of tallagh

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Placebo wrote:
    My gf's house got an eircoms salesman saying they had BB available, they signed up and it didnt seem to work, i came over and checked and rang them and they THEN said that the phone line is too week so theyre gonna try cut the speed down to the bar minimum but still no avail [DSL light on modem, keeps flashing]

Tested their phone # on irishbroadband.ie and it said DSL is available but i would assume it would be the same thing?

location is way south of tallagh

Way south of Tallaght! the mind doth boggle:)

Anyways to be systematic about this:

It is strange that it is showing up on ibb as okay as presumably all the resellers work off the Eircom database, and if the Eircom database is saying its ok then there may be wiring problems internally.

What line stats are you getting if you look at the setup page of the router?

They should be in the form xx/yy and that may give you a clue as to the quality of the line.

Is there anything extra attached to the phone line sky boxes, alarms etc etc.

If your gf's house is not too say south of tallaght - they may even be on the Tallaght exchange which would mean that you could get Smart, who use adsl2, which is more forgiving of faulty lines and distance. If you put in the number on the smart website it will tell you which exchange the way south gf's line is on. http://www.smarttelecom.ie/broadband.php

Advertisement