Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M-Audio Audiophile, Mackie VLZ 1210 - A good buy?

Options
  • 22-05-2007 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I've been offered the following equipment from someone from work:

M-Audio Audiophile Firewire 4 x 6 24-bit/96kHz I/O, 1 x 1 16-channel
    MIDI I/O,S/PDIF digital I/O w/ PCM, AC-3, and DTS support, as new - 165 Euro

Mackie VLZ 1210 - 12 channel analogue mixer with VLZ mic preamps, as new - 270 Euro

Now I'm completely new to home recording; I know this is equipment is good to get but I can't find 2nd hand values on the net to compare with.

Can anyone help me out in terms of:

1. Confirming (or not) that this is equiment worth getting
    2. The prices quoted are reasonable

Cubase SX is what I currently use for editing. I will be recording tracks from guitars, mics and keyboards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

M-Audio brand new incl VAT and Ableton Live lite 5 €176: http://www.dv247.com/invt/19660/

Maybe not the best deal in the world on the M-Audio. Not sure about the desk to be honest. What condition and age is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Hiro

frobisher wrote:
    M-Audio brand new incl VAT and Ableton Live lite 5 €176: http://www.dv247.com/invt/19660/

Maybe not the best deal in the world on the M-Audio. Not sure about the desk to be honest. What condition and age is it?
    Hi Frobisher,
    Thanks for the link on the M-Audio - much appreciated. Would this be a decent enough sound card to buy? The mixer has apparently not seen much use and is still in its box. My worry with the mixer is that I can't seem to find much about on the net - it may of course just be me. I'll keep looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Hiro

Hi Frobisher,
    I've done some more research and have decided to:

[1] Ask for a better price on the M-Audio sound card or buy one myself when next I'm in the UK (£120).

[2] Ithink I will forget the Makie 1210 VLZ which I suspect is obsolete.

[3] I'll be looking at getting the Makie 1202 VLZ3 in the near future unless I can get the M-Audio and Makie 1210 VLZ for around 312 Euro.

[4] Another option worth considering would be the Onyx 1220 mixer with the FireWire card option although I don't have the cash for that just yet.

Thanks for all your help.

All the best,
    Hiro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I dunno about the m-audio audophile to be honest. I've never been particularly impressed by their budget gear, especially in terms of their diabolical drivers. You're really paying for a brand more than anything else - I mean, it'd be one thing if it was like the mBox; in that it was a glorified dongle for Cubase, but it's not. Better bargains honestly come up on adverts once a fortnight, and it's always harder trying to drive a bargain with a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Ive had a firewire audiophile for about 2 years and it has been solid as a rock. Great bit of cheap and cheerfull kit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement