Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating In The Leaving.

Options
  • 22-05-2007 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭

I hope no one who frequents these boards would be so callous to the rest of us as to cheat in the exams.:D No the question I'm asking is what would you do if you saw someone cheating? Probably nothing I imagine the respones will be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

I wouldn't really care.Hell I cheated in the junior cert.....wouldn't do it in the leaving though.Too much at stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I was an attendant during the Leaving Cert last year and I can say for certain that there was cheating going on. I didn't do anything about it though... still got paid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

would be so callous to the rest of us

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

it's done a little, but how much of a difference can it really make? apart from minor things...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Tails142 wrote:
    :rolleyes:

I think you can take what I said with a pinch of salt my feathered friend.

• Advertisement

Actually funny story bout cheating.In the Junior Cert mocks we had a study period before our Irish exams so we obviously all had notes and stuff out.So then during the exam we get this ***** of a teacher who goes around checking if anyone had notes in with them.So only 2 seats ahead of me she goes mad when she finds out one of HER irish students has brought his entire irish copy in with him!!And it wasn't a normal sized copy, it was an A4 pad!!And his excuse was (this is priceless) ''I forgot''......I mean how the hell can you forget about an A4 pad?!?

I was really lucky though because whenever she was giving out to him, I just realised I had an irish letter in my fullscap.And I wasn't even going to use it to cheat because I didn't care about Irish at all, but it still would have had my exam cancelled.Thankfully though she stopped RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.It was quite lucky for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

people who cheat always do cráp anyway.

Sangre wrote:
    people who cheat always do cráp anyway.
    Now I think we all know thats just not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Its not the LC, but a girl beside me got caught cheating in our college exams last tuesday. Great to watch her being thrown out.

who will do better? the guy who takes the time to look at his limited notes to cheat or the guy who knows it anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Pfft that's nothing!

'Twas the Spring of '92 and big brother of Ibid was sitting his LC History mock. Despite being a strong student, he had done a poor exam and worried about how it might affect his confidence. Sitting at the back of the exam hall, he concocted a plan.

Thus when the examiners were correcting the scrips, big brother sat on his script and informed one that his script had indeed already been collected.

And so it came to pass, come results day, there was no History result for big brother. He feigned the tears and gave out no end to the poor Mr Cummins. An agreement was reached: a B and a sincere apology from the school for the loss the of the paper.

Big brother was a happy little cheater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Classy. I nearly got a mock cancelled because some little weirdo of a 3rd year started asking me if I had any smokes. Gob****e.

in his mocks? what an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Sangre wrote:
    who will do better? the guy who takes the time to look at his limited notes to cheat or the guy who knows it anyway?

We're Leaving Cert students, not little children. Your rhetorical questions and wisdom are useless here I'm afraid.

I have to agree with Sangre, if you have to resort to cheating.......

Hence those who do cheat would in theory do worse than someone who doesn't on the basis that the person that doesn't actually knows their stuff.

I attempted that in my 2nd year german exams.Couldn't answer the last page at all so I simply ripped it out and handed up the paper without it.Next day during one of my other exams my german teacher comes in and asks me about it, and I said I must not have gotten the page.She didn't buy it though and so I didn't get any marks for it.*****.

Also another great story bout my 2nd year exams.In English we knew in advance that the question was going to be on the balcony scene in Romeo and Juliet, and so I had an answer written out in my pocket on an A4 page.Whenever the examinier turned their back I just took out the sheet and handed it up with my paper.Got a B+ for it too!!

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    We're Leaving Cert students, not little children. Your rhetorical questions and wisdom are useless here I'm afraid.
    because Leaving Cert students don't understand rhetorical questions?

Also another great story bout my 2nd year exams.In English we knew in advance that the question was going to be on the balcony scene in Romeo and Juliet, and so I had an answer written out in my pocket on an A4 page.Whenever the examinier turned their back I just took out the sheet and handed it up with my paper.Got a B+ for it too!!

The Darina Allen method was quite popular in our school too.

I remember during a French exam once, I wasn't really thinking and had to put an "A, B or C" in the box, but I just ticked it. I got 95% and all. She lol'd at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

I'd cheat(ed) in a mock but never a real exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I cheated a wee bit in my maths mock this year.

Completely cheated in my economics xmas exam, had the book open in my bag and was just flicking through pages! Was just too easy :D

But like....what's the point in get false recognition (in the mock I mean) for work you didn't really do? I mean, if you can't do well in the mock without cheating, then you get a false sense of security towards the LC after doing well....what's the point?

So that when you get you're real results you can be shocked etc and go along the lines of "what?!, oh my god where did it all go wrong?"

Then you can go back to school next year, hardened from your experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I've met one or two people who cheated in the leaving repeats, but to be honest they had little to lose being close to complete gob****es.

AFAIK you can't sit a state exam for 3 years if you're caught cheating - and I think that includes things like your Provisional theory test. I mean, worst comes to worst at least you have the option of repeating the year after if you make a balls of it. And think about if you ever need a character reference from your prinicpal (common enough). JUST SAY NO KIDS!

(imo, you'd want to be fairly vindictive to rat out someone for cheating - and the repurcussions for you mightn't be very pleasant either)

Well tbh I did absolutely nothing for the mocks and i still wnated to get reasonable results, (got 360)

Im not having any false sense of security because im well aware of what i need to do in terms of the work i have to put in, so ye can go both get of yer high horses ;)

Ah no, I don't mean with your maths exam cos tbh *I* know you'll do grand in maths anyway. But if you were to cheat your ass off in a load of exams, do you get what I mean?

Yeah I know what you mean, yeah but i didnt cheat in loads of exams, just maths in the pre's where i wrote a note to my friend asking what he got for a certain question.
    Obviously im not going to do anything in the Leaving Cert.

Hahaha, I'm not talking about you, I mean in general.

Erm ok.....sooooo......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

The only way I cheat is by writing out certain notes (e.g. quotes for history, theorems for maths etc.), put them in me pocket, then at the stage in the exam when you need the notes I go to the jacks and read them in there. There are the disadvantages of course, like you can realistically only do this once or twice during the exam, the jacks usually stink etc.

Advertisement