Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Serious and Realistic

Options
  • 23-05-2007 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

Are games becoming too realistic and serious. i mean games are ment to be fun not make you want to throw the contoller accross the room.
    fifa 07 is a good example. i mean that isn't a bit fun and way too realistic and with the next gen out now will all games start to get like that

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i found fifa 07 to be very fun, and i started playing it because I was sick of the realism of pro ev soccer 6.
    there are always other games to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

i'd still prefer to have an unrealistic game like timesplinters or some game like that much more craic

(pro evo is better than fifa by far)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In some cases, perhaps. It is true that the most absurdly removed from reality games are generally the most enjoyable - here I list the likes of Katamari, EDF, Okami, Smash Bros. (and most Nintendo games at that), Phoenix Wright, GoW (both God and Gears) etc...

However, there will always be a place for realism. For example, there are times when a serious racing sim is preferrable, while other times Burnout is the game of choice. Similarly, tactical shooters will always have their place with their absurdist counterparts.

Like everything, a good mix is the key - perhaps why games which blur the line between realism and absurdity work so darn well - MGS, Guitar Hero, Tony Hawks, PGR etc... all fall into this category successfully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Oman wrote:
    i'd still prefer to have an unrealistic game like timesplinters or some game like that much more craic

oh, most certainly.. I just got sick of playing pro ev for a while, so I got fifa07 and was actually pleasantly surprised.... way too easy though, after two seasons I was consistantly hammering world class.. it just stopped being fun. Then 5 of my best players all decided to retire so I gave up and am now reinstalling pro ev : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

Like everything, a good mix is the key - perhaps why games which blur the line between realism and absurdity work so darn well - MGS, Guitar Hero, Tony Hawks, PGR etc... all fall into this category successfully.

well said. it does depend on the person of course i would prefer a unrealistic game but then again i sometimes get tired of playing cartoony games so i'd have to say the best games are the ones with a good mix but i just they dont go too much on the realistic side in future games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Oman wrote:

Check out Team Fortress 2 then ;)
    Coming out soon
    Ive a feeling its right up your alley if youra Timesplitters man :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd generally go for unrealistic (aka F.E.A.R, Half-Life etc...) over uber-realistic (Armed Assault, Op Flash etc...). But i'd still play a realistic game if it was enjoyable.

Advertisement