Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

proper conduct and other fidgey widgeyness

Options
  • 23-05-2007 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure the title clearly explains my question, but I was wondering what sort of limits are put on candidates and canvassers during polling? Like how close are they allowed get to the polling station? My uncle told me something about this the last election but I forget. Just on the off chance that I were to see a candidate breaking what could I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I think that its within sight of the polling station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What does that mean though? If I see them across the street they are too close? (not trying to be rude, its just kinda confusing.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Directly from the Electoral Act: (I emboldened the relevant passage)

Obstruction of or interference with electors.

147.—(1) A person shall not interfere with or obstruct or impede an elector going to or coming from or in the vicinity of or in a polling station.

(2) During the period commencing 30 minutes before the time appointed for the taking of a poll at an election, including a poll which has been adjourned under section 107, and ending 30 minutes after the close of the said poll, a person shall not, in or in the curtilage of a polling station or in any place within 100 metres of such station, for the purpose of promoting the interest of a political party or furthering the candidature of a candidate or candidates or soliciting votes for a candidate or candidates or for any contrary purpose, do any or all of the following things:

( a ) loiter or congregate with other persons;

( b ) attempt to induce, by any means whatsoever, an elector to vote for a candidate or candidates or vote in a particular way or refrain from voting;

( c ) display or distribute any notice, sign or poster (other than a notice, sign or poster displayed by the returning officer) or card, circular or other document relating to the election; or

( d ) use or cause to be used any loud-speaker or other public address mechanism to broadcast matter relating to the election.

(3) For the purpose of this section, a polling station shall be deemed to include all parts of the building and any land within the curtilage of the building in which the polling station is situate and the distance referred to in subsection (2) shall be measured from any entrance to the polling station or to the curtilage thereof.

(4) A person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) shall be guilty of an offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

The older generation will tell you stories of how it used to be on polling day and how it is so different today.
    As you'd get with a couple of hundred meters of the polling station the place would be carpet-bombed with posters and party activists. A gaurd of hounour would await you as you approached the door all trying to remind you of who to remember or vote for. And if you needed 'help' casting your vote, one of the party faithful was always on hand.
    Then as you left the polling station there was handshakes, nods and winks all round.

Thankfully those days are gone and polling day is very much a sedate affair. Though there are some who still reminisce about the old days and long for the craic that surrounded polling day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

A pity really, could have been a chance to meet my first canvassers of the campaign :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

athtrasna wrote:
    A pity really, could have been a chance to meet my first canvassers of the campaign :rolleyes:
    :confused: You haven't met anyone? I've had a few of the parties. I know someone who just needs the second Labour candidate to have got em all.

There should be at least 1 garda at each polling station (at least there is down here) so report it to him/her.
    If there isn't, report it to the officer in charge of the polling station and your local Gardaí.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Kewl. I'm not sure if I should expect a candidate to be there, but I want to be able to "help deal with the situation" should it occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gaelic cowboy

Anyone read the piece in the Western People about the case brought by Lab guy after he saw a 12year old running the polling station in Callow NS. What a laugh I went to that school must ask at home who it was. Apparently the actual guy supposed to look after the place was outside chatting. Hilarious stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

Have to say I enjoyed the good ol days of running the gauntlet outside the polling station. Great craic entirely:D :D

• Advertisement

:confused: You haven't met anyone? I've had a few of the parties. I know someone who just needs the second Labour candidate to have got em all.

Not a single one!!

I loved the Litir un Toghachain from your party candidate, minister. It states "by now you will know my positions on local issues" - how? Am I supposed to be telepathic? It was the first contact she'd made in my 3 years in that house and that was only cos I'm on the register. Definitely not getting a vote from me!

Neither she nor any of the other candidates darkened my door, or those of the nearby estates, from speaking to people who live there. I'm a party voter but there's a lot of floating voters where I live and a lot of votes lost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

athtrasna, Can I ask you where you live and what constituency it's in?

There was a report on TV3 about a week ago that was about west Dublin/Clondalkin, and how alienated the area is from politics. Canvassers don't bother knocking on doors, and there's not even any posters up in the area they were filming.

It was eery, cos I don't think there's a tree or lampost on my road that doesn't have at least 10 posters on it :p

I live in Dublin West, in a development with a lot of 20-30 somethings, many of whom were first time buyers when they bought in 3 years ago. Prime voters to target you would have thought. There is a lot of unhappiness that our votes were not deemed important enough to target.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Tristrame wrote:
    There should be at least 1 garda at each polling station (at least there is down here) so report it to him/her.
    If there isn't, report it to the officer in charge of the polling station and your local Gardaí.

I just voted in the NS school in Roundwood. In the corridor of the voting station, one of the candidates was there chatting in a group of 3 people of which one was a garda!

Does this contravene:

"( a ) loiter or congregate with other persons;"

On the other hand, he could have just voted....

A

Advertisement