Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Reception

Options
  • 23-05-2007 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

First off. This forum seems really interesting. I'm not really sure what its all about, but it has potential.

Does anyone know of any homemade solution to a poor Mobile Reception. I live in a basement and can only get reception by holding my phone up to a window. Pain in the ass. Is there anything I can make with tin foil, pringle can etc. to help improve the signal???

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Well the Pringle's can thing you've probably come across in the context of wireless computing. It is a waveguide(does exactly that) but the dimensions(radius and length and position of antenna) are dependent on the frequency/wavelength of the signal so you couldn't just copy a wireless design.

There are calculates on some sites though but you'd still have to position the phone's antenna correctly inside the tube which could be a problem. I'd love to see you do it though just to get a pic of you using it :)

The second and simplest idea, also from wireless computing, is a parabolic reflector. there are instructions on the interweb. the only thing to remember is that you want the antenna(source of the signal) at the focal point of the reflector. Here's a simple example.

It's also important to remember that these boost the signal by focusing it in a particular direction so you will have to point it in the direction that gets the strongest signal.

Oh and some older phones have an antenna connector I think, dunno where you'd buy such an antenna though.

Advertisement