Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Na Drugai

Options
  • 23-05-2007 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

What about the issues that only the younger generation may ever see in their lifetime in this country? I'm talking about the drugs problem and the obvious taboo of legalising cannabis.

If Mr. McDowell really wanted to get rid of gang crime what better way as 60% of the street value of drug seizures is cannabis. It's less harmful than alcohol and the only arguments against it is that it reduces sperm count and can be harmful to schizophrenics. Now I reckon there are plenty of legal substances that are harmful to schizophrenics.

It's a tired argument at this stage and I know on an international level it ain't gonna be the easiest thing to bring in. But a blatant avoidance of the issue just proves that politicians are only concerned with avoiding being unpopular with the older generation instead of embracing the youth and at the same time dealing with an issue in an open minded fashion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

What about the issues that only the younger generation may ever see in their lifetime in this country? I'm talking about the drugs problem and the obvious taboo of legalising cannabis.

If Mr. McDowell really wanted to get rid of gang crime what better way as 60% of the street value of drug seizures is cannabis. It's less harmful than alcohol and the only arguments against it is that it reduces sperm count and can be harmful to schizophrenics. Now I reckon there are plenty of legal substances that are harmful to schizophrenics.

It's a tired argument at this stage and I know on an international level it ain't gonna be the easiest thing to bring in. But a blatant avoidance of the issue just proves that politicians are only concerned with avoiding being unpopular with the older generation instead of embracing the youth and at the same time dealing with an issue in an open minded fashion.

Where as their may be some benefits to legalizing cannabis you can’t really believe that it will get rid of gang crime. If cannabis was legalized these gangs would find something else to trade in. If porridge was banned that’s what they would trade in.

The simple reason why cannabis probably will not be legalized is that it is bad for your health. At the end of the day it is still smoking. When the government has brought in the anti smoking laws that they have why would they legalize another form of smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

McDowell's main argument is that nobody should buy marijuana, because it supports gangland crime. If you deal in the drug then you might as well be doing a drive-by, because you're linked to that kind of life (he actually said something to that effect). He also referred to the notion that if you're dealing with marijuana then you're exposed to more serious drugs like cocaine and heroin.

All of those issues would be resolved with legalisation :confused: Not saying it would be the best move, but if they're his arguments then he needs to rethink them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Where as their may be some benefits to legalizing cannabis you can’t really believe that it will get rid of gang crime. If cannabis was legalized these gangs would find something else to trade in. If porridge was banned that’s what they would trade in.

Demand for porridge wouldn't be high. Magic mushrooms were made illegal not long ago and few criminals will now trade with them because it wouldn't be lucrative. Cannabis is. Legalisation and regulation of cannabis would damage gangland crime significantly, if done properly. As has been said however, it's unlikely that a politician will unnecessarily put his neck on the line, despite the obvious benefits to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Boat well missed on that one...

The time to legalize hash was in '94

That was before the drug gangs used that money to put the infrastructure in place to import Cocaine, now I am afraid its too late

Its not like it was enforced anyway, me and a flat full of buddies were caught with it when the Gardai crashed a house party. Gards said nothin.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

the thing that really gets my goat is the fact that if someone is caught with €10,000 worth of blow the get more time in jail than a scumbag who has commited murder or rape.

it makes it even worse when the Guards are "charging" over €200 per ounce.
    (I worked it out when they had a big seizure)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Legalising cannabis certainly hasn't gotten rid of gang crime in Amsterdam.

Legalising cannabis certainly hasn't gotten rid of gang crime in Amsterdam.

Cannabis wasn't legalised in amsterdam per sé. It comes in the back door illegally and is sold legally thereafter (coffeeshops etc.). Also, i wish people would stop using Amsterdam as a model for cannabis legalisation, as it's not comparing like with like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Where as their may be some benefits to legalizing cannabis you can’t really believe that it will get rid of gang crime.

No-one said it would get rid of gangland crime, but if that 60% figure is correct then it would take one hell of a chunk out of their income, making the whole business less lucrative
    The simple reason why cannabis probably will not be legalized is that it is bad for your health.

This is conjecture. I've read about studies claiming marijuana prevents cancer, that it causes cancer, that it's an anti-inflammatory and a load of other stuff, too.
    The bottom line is that it's not well understood whether marijuana is harmful or beneficial to health in general. There have been few reliable clinical trials, since no-one is willing to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

bringing this back on topic, I do feel that if a party (most likley greens imo) were to say that they would LOOK ;) at reforming drug laws it would bring out alot of the apathetic students

True, but they'd probably distance themselves from others tho (ie. conservative Ireland).

Does anyone have any information on candidates speaking on the issue?

• Advertisement
Advertisement