Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading to Deauville, advice

• 23-05-2007 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭

So guys, I'm thinking of upgrading to a Deauville, mainly for comfort. Got my quote from CN and have been looking for a while.

Due to head down to a dealer the country this afternoon to look at this one.
    It's 1999, 51K Kms on clock, 2 new tyres, 3 months warranty, full service.
    My brother looked at it last night and said that it is pretty clean and there are no marks of it being dropped. The only thing is up close, the bellypan is a tad off shade from the rest of the bike, possibly a later addition or a re-spray....
    He said he'd take my Burgman 400 as a trade-in but hasn't given me a price until he sees it later.
    I think the bike was originally sold in Gorey but in Meath now. Anyone know the bike, history?

Anyway, I'm just looking for some advice on what to check out with the bike when we look at it again today. At 51K Kms, is there anything in particular I should look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Thats an aftermarket bellypan. I don't think they originally came with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

depends on the price.

the lower fairing is not a standard item. The seat in the pic is also not standard.

they are a good reliable touring bike, comfortable up to about 80mph. they're god for a little over the ton (mhp), but the rider will suffer from a lot of wind buffeting at higher speeds. Also very susceptible to cross-winds, but this doesn't cause a problem, just a bit un-nerving if you're not used to it. Very easy bike to ride and manoeuvre although the gearbox is a bit clunky.

ther's good value available in Deauvilles at the moment, so don't rush into it. check around.

'98 Deauville, minter, same colour and mileage on biker.ie for €3750 at the mo.

I also know of a 01' ex police deauville, 11k miles, mint, sold recently for €3800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

depends on the price.
    They're looking for €4300 for the '99
    '98 Deauville, minter, same colour and mileage on biker.ie for €3750 at the mo.
    I spoke to the guy selling this '98 in Sligo this morning. The problem being I have a trade in, 02 Burgman 400, but I like the sound of his bike, english import. Could try to sell mine privately.
    He'll be in Kildare on Saturday with it, said I'd give him a shout if the one in Kells doesn't pan out.

Fr Dougal wrote:
    They're looking for €4300 for the '99

He'll be in Kildare on Saturday with it, said I'd give him a shout if the one in Kells doesn't pan out.

sounds a bit pricey. he'd want to be giving you a good deal on your own bike.

tallaght superbikes had a couple of them lately, you might want to contact them, they'll take a trade-in. Otherwise sell your own privately.

BTW, what dealer are you talking to?

edit: just noticed you mentioned Kells, presume that's where the dealer is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

unless you take all the fairing off you not really goin to see how healthy the deauville is but if it comes with a warranty then happy days. Deauville is a very reliable comfortable bike thats popular more so with middle aged folk (hence the boring tag sometimes attached)

not really sure of the benefit of the lower fairing add to the model you're looking at but the pic gives the impression of a very clean looking bike.

i have over 40k on mine and its almost 4 years old. No trouble with it at all.

Re the crosswinds, if you have a top box and a high front windscreen then you will feel it a bit at higher speeds.

• Advertisement

Looked closely at the bike and a few more bits appear to have been re-sprayed at the same time as the lower fairing.Left pannier, top box & front mudgaurd..

They are to call me today with trade-in price but I'm a bit hesitant.

Might hold out for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

I spent a lot of time ealier this year looking at buying a second-hand deuville using my auld GS500 as a trade-in. I checked out Gorey who gave me a poor/ok price, tallaght superbikes -reasonable, JPs on peare St., good price and bikeworld - crap price. I even looked into importing from Germany where they are a lot cheaper and was very tempted on this see here
    In the end I bit the bullet and bought a new one at Megabikes where I felt I got a fair deal.
    I'd suggest you go and have a chat with the chap at JPs, he is very approachable and regularly imports container loads of bikes from Germany, some with very low mileage and he claims to have someone overthere who chooses on his behalf.
    The price on the one you're looking at sounds a bit high.
    I use mine on the M50 where its windy in parts but find the bike a lot easier than the GS500
    Very happy with mine
    Gok

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

gok wrote:
    I'd suggest you go and have a chat with the chap at JPs, he is very approachable and regularly imports container loads of bikes from Germany, some with very low mileage and he claims to have someone overthere who chooses on his behalf.

ask for joe. he's a decent skin

Thanks for the advice guys.
    I was in JP on Pearse St this morning on the way in to work. Guy was very helpful and said he is expecting a '99 Deauville in from Germany on Tuesday and although it's not cheap, and the trade in value he mentioned for my Burgman is in the right ballpark. I have to drop in on Tuesday.

Also, Tallaght superbikes are getting in a '99 and a '01 next week and he will have them on Wednesday.

My brother works in Brussels and there is a German guy in the office that drives bikes. He is also going to check a bike shop beside where he lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭saddle tramp

Hi Lads.

don't mean to be sticking my nose in or anything like that...I generally just read through the posts on these boards and not post to much myself..

I am a fully qualified mechanic spent the last 20 years plus working on bikes..Everything from a busa to honda 50....I can also boast that I have put up over 400,000 plus miles on bike in this time..

which I suppose brings me to my point on the Deauville!!! this is my personal weapon of choice for commuting having clocked up 140,000 miles on one....with no major problems apart from the usual stuff...

it has been said that the Deauville, NTV, Revere,.....sufferers with gearbox problems at higher mileage usually in around 80,000.....this is usually down to poorly maintained engines not serviced at the regular periods.....as I'm sure most of you know oil changes are critical I generally do a service at half the recommended mileage which is usually 4,000.......so I like to get mine in before 3,000...again choice of oil is also a major player a lot of people tend to go for the cheap stuff......do your engine a favour and buy some good-quality oil it will pay dividend in the end...once these engines are serviced correctly they will go forever......Honda makes some really bulletproof machinery......then there would be my second choice in the Honda range for commuting CB500..... another real true work horse.

sorry to be rambling on... I'll stop now...... I suppose to sum it up your weapon of choice is an excellent one... that's just what i was trying to say.

Dave..

• Advertisement

one word of advice, dont drive to dublin from killarney on a day like today with a high windshield and top box... scary ridin! :eek:

Hi Lads.

don't mean to be sticking my nose in or anything like that...I generally just read through the posts on these boards and not post to much myself..

I am a fully qualified mechanic spent the last 20 years plus working on bikes..Everything from a busa to honda 50....I can also boast that I have put up over 400,000 plus miles on bike in this time..

which I suppose brings me to my point on the Deauville!!! this is my personal weapon of choice for commuting having clocked up 140,000 miles on one....with no major problems apart from the usual stuff...

it has been said that the Deauville, NTV, Revere,.....sufferers with gearbox problems at higher mileage usually in around 80,000.....this is usually down to poorly maintained engines not serviced at the regular periods.....as I'm sure most of you know oil changes are critical I generally do a service at half the recommended mileage which is usually 4,000.......so I like to get mine in before 3,000...again choice of oil is also a major player a lot of people tend to go for the cheap stuff......do your engine a favour and buy some good-quality oil it will pay dividend in the end...once these engines are serviced correctly they will go forever......Honda makes some really bulletproof machinery......then there would be my second choice in the Honda range for commuting CB500..... another real true work horse.

sorry to be rambling on... I'll stop now...... I suppose to sum it up your weapon of choice is an excellent one... that's just what i was trying to say.

Dave..

Dave,
    Thanks a mil for the feedback. Greatly appreciated. Don't stop :D

Still looking so hopefully I'll pick something up over the next couple of weeks.

Fr D

Fr Dougal wrote:
    Dave,
    Thanks a mil for the feedback. Greatly appreciated. Don't stop :D

Still looking so hopefully I'll pick something up over the next couple of weeks.

Fr D

PM Sent ;)

Dave..............

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I imported a Deauville from England back in January,there is great value to be had over there.

Dub13 wrote:
    I imported a Deauville from England back in January,there is great value to be had over there.

have to totally agree it's definitely something to consider.

Any ideas what's a good site to look up used bikes in the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Fr Dougal wrote:
    Any ideas what's a good site to look up used bikes in the UK?
    Just try autotrader.co.uk

Use mk5 6la as the postcode.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

afaik, there's one for sale in Galway (private sale), I saw it outside the guys' house with a sign on it, last week.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    afaik, there's one for sale in Galway (private sale), I saw it outside the guys' house with a sign on it, last week.

Cheers galwaytt, if you're passing maybe you could get the number and PM me? I haven't seen any in Galway on Bikebuyersguide.ie. What colour / year? How did it look, clean?

The problem is I have a trade in. If I buy a very new Deauville I will need to trade in but if it is an older model (cheaper :) ) I could buy
    while waiting to sell the burgman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Dougal, - pm sent

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Found two that maybe worth a look.... Dougal

Not sure what your budget is?? Colour preference things like that.

I can look a the two of them for yea tomorrow if you like! there in shops in Dublin.

Found two that maybe worth a look.... Dougal

Not sure what your budget is?? Colour preference things like that.

I can look a the two of them for yea tomorrow if you like! there in shops in Dublin.

Cheers, where are they? I'd like to give them the once over before bothering you to go out.

Yesterday I looked at 2 in Superbikes in Tallaght, not too keen. Looked at 1 in Killeen, nice but he has a few burgmans already in stock so not interested in my trade in.

I like the red, silver, champagne, black but for the right bike I won't be too fussy.

Also, brother came across a lovely 2001 in Dusseldorf, only 7600Klms. €4300. Half thinking of taking a spin out to him next weekend. His biker mate might check it out during the week.

Fr Dougal wrote:
    Cheers, where are they? I'd like to give them the once over before bothering you to go out.

Yesterday I looked at 2 in Superbikes in Tallaght, not too keen. Looked at 1 in Killeen, nice but he has a few burgmans already in stock so not interested in my trade in.

I like the red, silver, champagne, black but for the right bike I won't be too fussy.

Also, brother came across a lovely 2001 in Dusseldorf, only 7600Klms. €4300. Half thinking of taking a spin out to him next weekend. His biker mate might check it out during the week.

No problem.
    now that I know your budget I think these maybe just a little outside...
    But you should have a looksee any.
    The first one is a Blue 00 I think around 41k on it Has a few extras Topbox, high screen, bad weather deflector kit, heated grips, I've been told its very clear but have not laid eyes on it myself. Priced around 5,000. This one is in megabike Wexford Street Dub2

The second one is red/wine 04 and as far as I now only 6.k on it.. This one is supposed to be mint.... also has some extras but not 100% sure what they are.... not sure on the price. What i do know is it has been sitting there for some time.. you just may get a deal on it you never know this one is in M&A motorcycles North Strand.

No problem.
    now that I know your budget I think these maybe just a little outside...
    But you should have a looksee any.
    The first one is a Blue 00 I think around 41k on it Has a few extras Topbox, high screen, bad weather deflector kit, heated grips, I've been told its very clear but have not laid eyes on it myself. Priced around 5,000. This one is in megabike Wexford Street Dub2

The second one is red/wine 04 and as far as I now only 6.k on it.. This one is supposed to be mint.... also has some extras but not 100% sure what they are.... not sure on the price. What i do know is it has been sitting there for some time.. you just may get a deal on it you never know this one is in M&A motorcycles North Strand.

Thanks a mil saddle tramp.
    I dropped into M&A on the way in this morning. The red one is a minter but it's €7500 and he said he has taken a deposit on it. If it was still available I'd be very tempted. Only 6000mls on it.

Also dropped into Megabikes. Dark Green 00 but it has a good few marks on it and the exhaust has a lot of visible surface rust. They're looking €5.5K, around 3K with my own. Think I'd like to get something a little fresher. I plan to put between €2.5-4K with the Burgman and indications are that mine will fetch about €2.5K on trade in. I don't even mind getting a 98-99 once it's very clean.

Thanks anyway. Let's know if you come across anything else. Also, I'll keep you posted.

The brother is going to check this one out in Brussels this evening. 1999 €3800

http://www.vroom.be/fr/occasion/moto/634854-occasion-honda.asp

"One owner. In excellent condition. New tyres and battery. Heated handles and hand guards." I think it also says service history.

EDIT: Anyone know what the story is about getting an export/transit reg plate in Brussels?

Fr Dougal wrote:
    The brother is going to check this one out in Brussels this evening. 1999 €3800

http://www.vroom.be/fr/occasion/moto/634854-occasion-honda.asp

"One owner. In excellent condition. New tyres and battery. Heated handles and hand guards." I think it also says service history.

This seems Very tasty ;)

The brother took a look at this yesterday. He said it is as the ad said, not a mark on the paintwork, no rust on the exhaust, forks, seals look good. Apparently it's beeen off the road since the Autumn and there are no reg plates on it so he could only test drive it in the car park of the lockup garage area.
    The seller has transferred the number plate to his new Goldwing (In the background of one of the photos). Engine was stone cold when he arrived (seller arrived a couple of minutes after him) and it started first turn. The brother's bringing a biker friend down again tomorrow evening to view it. Brother has checked the paperwork and it's all good. One owner from new. After lying up, guy serviced it, new battery & back tyre to get it ready to sell.

Said he'd let it go for €3500. Think I'll go for it unless the guys find anything wrong with it tomorrow. If it's okay they'll do the deal at the sellers house, not the lockup.

VRT is about €200.

I'd like to fly over next weekend and drive it back if I can figure out how to get plates on it. I think it's a fairly short hop from Brussels, either landbridge ot through UK.
    I'd fly out Thursday evening and then have plenty of time to get back Friday & the weekend.

Edit: to correct typo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

€3500 still seems quite expensive, considering with flights and ferries and accommodation that is going to end up about €4500.

There are duville's on BBG for that price with similar mileage.

I mean, I was looking at a super spec SV1000 in England for €5000 including travel = €6000 all in - that is a bog standard Deuville.

nereid wrote:
    €3500 still seems quite expensive, considering with flights and ferries and accommodation that is going to end up about €4500.

There are duville's on BBG for that price with similar mileage.

I mean, I was looking at a super spec SV1000 in England for €5000 including travel = €6000 all in - that is a bog standard Deuville.

Point taken. No accomodation worries in Brussels, my brother lives 2km from where the bike is. Flights €45 so it's mainly petrol and ferries stg£45 Calais/Dover and stg£36 Holyhead/Dublin and maybe one night B&B so I reckon expenses and VRT total about €500. Plus, when negotiations start, probably get another bit off. I reckon I could have the bike back here for approx €4K.

I've called most of the bikes in BBG within my price range. The major factor is that I've looked at about 5 Deauvilles over the last week or so and they sound great in the advert but they've all been pretty rough when I look at them. I want a really clean bike as I hope to hang on to it for a while but I just can't get one.

e.g. On Friday & was asked for €3500 with my 2002 Burgman 400 for a 00 that was pretty beaten and the exhaust rusted (Maybe surface). Mouldings cracked etc.

EDIT: Also, see the first bike in this thread from a dealer. Wanted €4500 (2K with my own) but up close the bike was not in great condition and I walked away.
    JP had a 98 minter from Germany last week but sold before I got there, €4800

• Advertisement

Here's a photo of the Deauville in Brussels. Also comes with the original lower screen.

its in great nick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looks good.

Nice clean bike, but I think it's a little bit pricey. Why not check out the prices of other deauvilles in germany for comparison. I would have thought you should be ble to buy this particular one for about 2800 - 3000

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mjedl

Also Lee Motorcycles in Cork had 2 last weekend 05 models one silver and one wine for €6990 a decent price i thought and both in good nick.

Nice clean bike, but I think it's a little bit pricey. Why not check out the prices of other deauvilles in germany for comparison. I would have thought you should be ble to buy this particular one for about 2800 - 3000
    Yeah, I had thought about Germany but my brother's in Brussels so it's handy.
    Mjedl wrote:
    Also Lee Motorcycles in Cork had 2 last weekend 05 models one silver and one wine for €6990 a decent price i thought and both in good nick.

I rang them and they were to call me back but I got no calls.

Anyway, Things have moved on a bit. My brother managed to swing free transport for the bike back to Dublin with a house moving company that move workers in and out to Brussels. Did the deal last night, €3400. With €200 VRT I should be on the road for €3600. Off to Bulgaria on Monday for 2 weeks hols so bike should be waiting for me in movers depot when I get back. Can't wait.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll give an update when it arrives.

Still have to sell my Burgman......

EDIT: Typo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Congrats! You defo got the bike you wanted, so fair play and enjoy!

L.

Advertisement