Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of performance boost will i be getting?

Options
  • 23-05-2007 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭

Well my motherboard and/or cpu doesn't seem to be working so im going to upgrade.
    I've still got AGP card and DDR333 so the Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA would be perfect, and i can upgrade my ram and gfx card later on while still keeping the board. To go with the asrock board im going to get the Intel core 2 duo e4300 1.8Ghz 2 MB L2 cache. I'm going to overclock the CPU as much as i can, i read its a very good oc'er.

I'm just wondering what kind of performance increase would i see, if any, on my games and general computing.

Here's my old rig:
    -AMD Sempron 3000+ 2Ghz, Socket A, 512k L2 cache
    -7VM333M-RZ motherboard
    -1280MB RAM PC2700
    -Club3D 7600GS AGP 256 MB RAM

Soon to be rig:
    -Intel Core 2 Duo e4300 1.8Ghz 2 MB L2 cache
    -Asrock 4coredual-vsta 775 motherboard
    -1280MB RAM PC2700
    -Club3D 7600GS AGP 256 MB RAM

Even if i don't get much of a boost im still going to be getting 2 gigs DDR2 and a pci-e gfx card in the next year or 2.

Oh, yeah, this board runs sata 1.5, would i be able to run a sata2 hard-drive on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You will get a bit of a performance gain alright. Nothing mind blowing but you will be more then happy with it.

Why not just sell what you have now, and invest in a proper 965 board, a e4300 and 2gb of ddr2 and obviously a new grpahics card.

As for the hard drive, yes you will sata2 is backwards compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Overclocking depends a lot more on the chipset than you might think, and the reviews of this board are getting around ~290mhz overclocked, which is not good when you consider 965 boards are getting 380-450mhz. All you're really doing here is swapping out the processor, so have a look at tom's CPU charts and it'll give you an idea. http://tomshardware.co.uk/cpu/charts.html

Basically it boils down to what your budget is and what you're planning on doing with it... if you're on a really tight budget, then go for the asrock. If you have a bit more flexibility, then have a look on adverts.ie for second hand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Well i hadn't planned on upgrading for a long while, havne't really been gaming much lately just chatting and browsing, plus i only bought my 7600gs a few months ago.

Then my motherboard/cpu broke so im left hanging. Was just going to buy a mobo with a cheap single core for maybe 100 euro, then i saw that i could get n intel core 2 duo for a bit more, then after reading the reviews on the e4300 and the asrock 4coredual i was sold.

That chart on tom's hardware is well handy, looks like i would get a good improvment.

Dont expect the same performance from that board as you would from a normal 965 board. For one you are using ddr instead of ddr2 and the chipset ( via )is known to be not the greatest performer, but still decent. As for overclocking you will need to carry out a volt mod to get anything decent from it. So dont bother reading the TH CPU chart, it will be a useless idea of what you will get.

Also you will need new ram too. You have to have a minimum of ddr 3200 ( 400 ) and you only have 2700 ( 333 )

Maybe buying a new 965/975/650i board and some dd2 and the cpu might be a better option for you. You can sell that you have now on adverts.ie and buy a new graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Well my 1 gig stick is DDR400
    my 256 is DDR333, so they've been running at DDR333.

From the asrock page it says "Supports DDR400/333/266 "?

• Advertisement

Spunge wrote:
    Well my 1 gig stick is DDR400
    my 256 is DDR333, so they've been running at DDR333.

From the asrock page it says "Supports DDR400/333/266 "?

So it does. My appologies there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

People on Micro mart forums are very happy with that setup, U should get the E4400 as it is only a bit more expensive and it will overclock higher because of its 10x multiplier. The only drawback is the PCIX slot is only 4x, not 16x. This only slightly impairs the performance of a 1950xt but the highest DX10 card it will take is the 8600. The Ram should be fine. You might want to consider a new power supply if it is not 400w or higher. If u put the front side bus to 266 instead of the default 200 which is well within the reach you automatically get the same speed as an E6600. It should go a little higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Anti wrote:
    For one you are using ddr instead of ddr2 and the chipset ( via )is known to be not the greatest performer, but still decent. As for overclocking you will need to carry out a volt mod to get anything decent from it. So dont bother reading the TH CPU chart, it will be a useless idea of what you will get.

So he is I hadn't copped that (duh). Bottom line is, you'll still get a boost, just not as much of one, maybe assume 75% of the scores you see on Tom's. If you're not gaming or media encoding it shouldn't matter to you. By using this board with a Core2, you're limiting the value you could be getting out of it, but the problem you have is that AMD have essentially forced you to change to core2 since changing processers now involves changing to socket 939 (in which case you still need a new gfx card) or AM2, which means new gfx and new memory. You could go for the 939Dual-VSTA and get a cheaper Athlon X2, but you're not saving enough on the 4300 to make it worthwhile. Stick with your original idea or keep an eye out for a bargain.

Advertisement