Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT will now be 100% Linked to Emissions

Options
  • 23-05-2007 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Was in todays Motors section of the Times. Well I supose its the fairest way, but wait for the penal rates, and "its for the environment" line. .........What do you think this will mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

In theory its a good idea, as in if a 530d is made cheaper than a 530i because it less damaging to the environment. But not if the 530i is made more expensive due to the introduction of a higher rate of VRT. I hope that this isnt an excuse to slyly make higher rates of VRT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

when will this kick in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

any link to an article or more info pls?? when does it say this will come inot effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seems strange imo for the government to announce this on the eve of a general election or is it just media speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Meister wrote:
    Was in todays Motors section of the Times. Well I supose its the fairest way, but wait for the penal rates, and "its for the environment" line. .........What do you think this will mean?

:eek: Fairest way ?? That would be putting all this stupid motoring taxes onto the price of petrol. I drive a 3 litre car, but I've only done 8K miles in 2 years. Yet I've paid 3K in VRT, and 2K in motoring Tax.....

It would also put an end to all the moaners and groaners giving out about foreign reg cars getting away without roadtax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

This was being talked about last December...

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/1206/budget4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Article in the Times:

Rethink on VRT and emissions reforms

Daniel Attwood

The Department of Finance is rethinking its reforms to the current Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) system so that they will take full account of a vehicle's emissions, and no longer base charges on engine size.

A Department of Finance spokesperson confirmed the change of mind: "We have met with a number of stakeholders and a range of possible options are now being considered, including a full CO2 emissions-related scheme."

Should such a scheme be adopted, it would bring Ireland in line with European Commission recommendations to end vehicle registration taxes and instead tax motorists according to the amount of pollutants their vehicles emit. Such a move would be a major step away from the reforms the Minister indicated he would favour following his announcement of the tax reforms.

The Department of Finance published four options following his announcement in his December Budget speech that VRT was to be significantly modified.

Submissions were then invited suggesting which of the four options were preferable.

However, a number of the 61 submissions, which were made by organisations such as the AA and the motor industry representative body, SIMI, as well as from vehicle importers and members of the public, suggested that none of the four published options went far enough.

While the Department published the four options that clearly indicated how it intended to reform VRT, it is understood that these meetings prompted a change of thinking.

The high number of submissions that suggested a tax, based solely on a vehicle's emissions taken together with the Minister for Finance's promise to take into account the views of interested parties before making a decision, indicate that he may go further than was first thought.

Mr Cowen also stated in his Budget speech that the changes would take effect from January 1st, 2008. But several of the submissions from the motor industry have warned that an implementation date as early as January 1st would have a damaging effect on new vehicle sales.

Meanwhile, Green Machines, the Irish supplier of the zero-emission Vectrix Scooter, has been told that its scooter is not eligible for a VRT reduction. Managing director Robert Nolan explained: "Unlike hybrids, which still produce substantial greenhouse gasses, our Vectrix scooter, a 100 per cent emissions-free vehicle, has been refused any VRT reduction.

"It is comical that when we were in contact with the Department of Finance they informed us that VRT reductions are only available for cars, as they are specifically mentioned in the Finance Bill. Under this logic a carbon producing hybrid vehicle will get a 50 per cent VRT refund, while a carbon-free scooter will not." Green Machines is now calling on the Government and opposition parties to immediately remove VRT and reduce VAT on zero-emission vehicles.

This drives me up the wall... I'm going to be driving a 3 ltr car aprox 5k miles a year and I'll be paying €2,700 VRT and €1,343 a year in road tax... then there's sales people driving 1.4ltr golfs 25k - 35k miles a year and paying €313 a year in tax... surely they're doing more damage to the environment than I am.. put all the tax's on petrol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

steve06 wrote:
    This drives me up the wall... I'm going to be driving a 3 ltr car aprox 5k miles a year and I'll be paying €2,700 VRT and €1,343 a year in road tax... then there's sales people driving 1.4ltr golfs 25k - 35k miles a year and paying €313 a year in tax... surely they're doing more damage to the environment than I am.. put all the tax's on petrol!

Although i can see the logic in putting it all on fuel, nobody is being forced to drive a 3 ltr car. At 5k miles a year you'd probably be cheaper to get a taxi.

sesswhat wrote:
    nobody is being forced to drive a 3 ltr car.

correct - but they're forcing us to drive smaller engine cars , which can hardly pull the weight of the car as it stands. take 1.6 passats, Avensis, 3-series etc !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

sesswhat wrote:
    Although i can see the logic in putting it all on fuel, nobody is being forced to drive a 3 ltr car.
    No, but if they pay for the emissions it makes at the same rates as everyone else, then they should be allowed drive what they like.

Besides the whole engine size thing is not an accurate gauge of emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

No, but if they pay for the emissions it makes at the same rates as everyone else, then they should be allowed drive what they like.

Besides the whole engine size thing is not an accurate gauge of emissions.

I agree. As I said I can see the logic of putting it all on fuel.

People are allowed to drive what they like.

The whole engine size thing is not an accurate gauge of emissions.

I'm sure steve06 has his reasons for choosing a 3 ltr to do 5k a year but he introduces his post as if it was something about to be foisted upon upon him outside his control.
    I'm going to be driving a 3 ltr car aprox 5k miles a year and I'll be paying €2,700 VRT and €1,343 a year in road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

BULL

It's a ploy to keep VRT.
    They need to abolish it altogether.

The TAX should be applied at the pump therefore you would be taxed on usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'm also for scrapping VRT and increasing the tax on fuel. This would reduce the price of cars by 25-30% which would see an increase in the number of cars sold each year due to affordability, which would see the Government actually receive more taxes in the form of VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

sesswhat wrote:
    Although i can see the logic in putting it all on fuel,nobody is being forced to drive a 3 ltr car. At 5k miles a year you'd probably be cheaper to get a taxi.

How defeatist, would it be fair to say that your not a car enthusiast, and only see a car as a means of transport?

Why on earth should an Irish motorist/enthusiast be further constrained and penalised for what they choose to drive? It's this very reason I'm in a new, somewhat practical T/Diesel car and not a used E46 M3 :mad:

I think you've missed the point or don't get the point if your suggesting Stevo should use a taxi instead :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

DonJose wrote:
    I'm also for scrapping VRT and increasing the tax on fuel. This would reduce the price of cars by 25-30% which would see an increase in the number of cars sold each year due to affordability, which would see the Government actually receive more taxes in the form of VAT.

Spare a thought for the person (like a lot of SSIA holders now) who have to pay VRT now on a 2007 new car and then Higher Petrol cost next year! double wammy!

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Spare a thought for the person (like a lot of SSIA holders now) who have to pay VRT now on a 2007 new car and then Higher Petrol cost next year! double wammy!

the same could be said about Stamp Duty. There will always be people who lose out on Tax changes, but its important for the greater good, and the long term benefits we would all have,

Mc-BigE wrote:
    This could be phased in over 5 years with an annual VRT reduction of 5%. If the tax on fuel was to rise by 5% then fuel costs could also be phased in with a 1% annual increase for 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Seems like a joke. There's a guy down the road from me he has a Ford F250, probably a 5 litre engine or something ridiculous, but I've seen the truck move about twice ever, why should he pay €1300 a year on tax (although in typing I just realised that he probably gets commercial tax), along with whatever he paid on VRT for somebody else to drive on the road?? Put the tax on the fuel, that's the fairest way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Ya being a pickup he prob has commercial tax. And VRT on commercials is 50 euro!:) However I think that just shows how unequal and silly the whole VRT thing is. Will the new VRT emissions be extended to vans/commercials as well?

• Advertisement

sesswhat wrote:
    I'm sure steve06 has his reasons for choosing a 3 ltr to do 5k a year but he introduces his post as if it was something about to be foisted upon upon him outside his control.

I'd be doing about 5k a year because I live in Bray and work in Sandyford, it takes 10mins to get in there because it's close... I chose my car because it's one that I've always wanted and it is unfair to charge me higher than someone doing 6-7 times the mileage I do! It should be put on the pump in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I used to be in favour of abolishing VRT, then I just made my mind up never to buy and brand new car again. the Country is awash with fantastic cars, all of which will be used cars eventually.

I'll just pick a nice used one, get value for money and I dont care about the VRT thing !

I dont want to see it put on petrolm as this will reduce driving pleasure, and it will innevitably be a percentage of the cost of fuel, which will only rise anyway therefore they will get more VRT from a gallon of fuel as time goes on !

Basically if the Government are in favour........................then I am against it. I smell a rat when this happens !

MercMad wrote:
    I used to be in favour of abolishing VRT, then I just made my mind up never to buy and brand new car again. the Country is awash with fantastic cars, all of which will be used cars eventually.

I'll just pick a nice used one, get value for money and I dont care about the VRT thing !
    If VRT was abolished, the price of second hand cars would be cheaper also. Roughly the same as what you would pay in the UK. At present, the VRT the car owner paid would still be factored into the selling price.

MercMad wrote:

I dont want to see it put on petrolm as this will reduce driving pleasure, and it will innevitably be a percentage of the cost of fuel, which will only rise anyway therefore they will get more VRT from a gallon of fuel as time goes on !

Basically if the Government are in favour........................then I am against it. I smell a rat when this happens !
    VRT is on used cars too.... if it wasn't there, you're used car would cost you a lot less!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Cool,

Buy a 5L VW Tourag the week before the new scheme kicks in, the following week it will have increased in value!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

What the article says is " range of possible options are now being considered, including a full CO2 emissions-related scheme." nothing there says 100% emissions based. The tools running Revenue wont back down on VRT, this emissions based plan will not be coming into place ever, they will still use the gombeen cc way to calculate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isn't this just another option available to them. not the actual plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I thin that while this idea is not the best, I would prefer to see VRT gone and replaced with a fuel levy entirely,but thats not going to happen, and so a system based entirely on CO2 is the next best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think it's as transparent or simple as the fuel levy though. It's also difficult to back-date carbon emissions for all old cars. seems like an awful amount of hard work

How many different tax bands are they proposing anyway? will it be as many as trhe existing system, or just 3 or 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

the whole premise of vrt makes me so mad. they've had their way with the irish motorist forever.

as a result of vrt ireland as a nation has a fleet of tacky little boxes. it's just bully tactics. we might have the odd gas guzzler but we don't have a gas guzzler problem. emmisions based road tax for my dad's 3l in the uk was £76 for 6 mths. over here it's like €700 for 6 mths. how much does the government actually need for this pious crusade to save the world (not)?

our penance has been done people. how long will it be before they come with the next tax scam. and sh*t- look at the roads. it would be something if we were getting something to help our tax enema go down.

Advertisement