Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie on Six-One

Options
  • 23-05-2007 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Anyone see Brian Dobson interviewing Bertie on the 6 O'Clock news last night?

He really went in for the kill and Bertie seemed a bit flustered. He started off with the fiasco of the press conference yesterday about the cost of co-locating hospitals. Seamus Brennan and Brian Cowen both gave different figures for the cost of this. It took a party worker / civil servant to come in and give the correct figures. Three different figures ranging from 40 - 70 million! It was a total shambles.

Bertie certainly fudged the issue of the treatment centers for Cystic Fibrosis. He claimed that he had told a representative body from the Cystic Fibrosis sufferers that two treatment centers were budgeted for in the National Development plan. Dobson then went on to suggest that it's not mentioned anywhere in it. He said the childrens hospital in crumlin (?) was mentioned but no mention of the CF centers. Bertie said "Yes it's in there". Dobson kept at him with comments like "So you're saying that it's budgeted for but it's not specifically mentioned"? It was a very good interview.

Bertie made an unusual comment when Brian was questioning him about the CF centers. He said he'd just written to the representative body "and signed it in my own name"!! One wonders has he signed letters in other peoples names before??????

Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Delphi91 wrote:
    Anyone see Brian Dobson interviewing Bertie on the 6 O'Clock news last night?

He really went in for the kill and Bertie seemed a bit flustered. He started off with the fiasco of the press conference yesterday about the cost of co-locating hospitals. Seamus Brennan and Brian Cowen both gave different figures for the cost of this. It took a party worker / civil servant to come in and give the correct figures. Three different figures ranging from 40 - 70 million! It was a total shambles.

Bertie certainly fudged the issue of the treatment centers for Cystic Fibrosis. He claimed that he had told a representative body from the Cystic Fibrosis sufferers that two treatment centers were budgeted for in the National Development plan. Dobson then went on to suggest that it's not mentioned anywhere in it. He said the childrens hospital in crumlin (?) was mentioned but no mention of the CF centers. Bertie said "Yes it's in there". Dobson kept at him with comments like "So you're saying that it's budgeted for but it's not specifically mentioned"? It was a very good interview.

Bertie made an unusual comment when Brian was questioning him about the CF centers. He said he'd just written to the representative body "and signed it in my own name"!! One wonders has he signed letters in other peoples names before??????

Mike

This sad story was published in the Itish Times yesterday, May 22, 2007

Is this and childcare and so many other "peripheral issues" what the health service should be about? As far as Ahern, Cowan and the boys are concerned the most important issue is the cash in the coffers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 joecoote

I thought the question about the McMahon tribunal was the most telling, and possibly will have implications if he does become Taoiseach again. It was something along the lines of: We thought you had come clean last year about any revelations to do with your personal finances concerning the tribunal, yet, McDowell was still seeking clarifications during the election.
    Bertie's response was that he did clarify the situation last year but more issues arose out of the tribunal of which he didn't know about. He didn't know of the money given to Larkin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JonnyXXX

Yep, Bertie had a bad day overall yesterday. It seems very hipocritical of FF to be lecturing FG on figures. they got it back in their face yesterday. i real own goal....makes things really tight for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 debaters1

joecoote wrote:
    I thought the question about the McMahon tribunal was the most telling, and possibly will have implications if he does become Taoiseach again. It was something along the lines of: We thought you had come clean last year about any revelations to do with your personal finances concerning the tribunal, yet, McDowell was still seeking clarifications during the election.
    Bertie's response was that he did clarify the situation last year but more issues arose out of the tribunal of which he didn't know about. He didn't know of the money given to Larkin?

I would imagine he was referring to the fact that unless he were telepathic, he would not know what the 30 or so people who had submitted evidence to the Mahon Tribunal knew. It isnt that unreasonable to suggest that he might not have known the full figures or what exactly was purchased when and what for in relation to the house. My dad, who pays for most of the items purchased by my family, would never have a hope of accounting for all expenditure, and thats his money, so Bertie probably wouldnt have been able to account for how a third party spent someone else's money.

Also, bear in mind, that the Mahon Tribunal was set up byt the taoiseach to investigate the claims of tom Gilmartin re Owen O'Callaghan. The taoiseach has demonstrated to the trinbunal that Gilmartins claims that the Taoiseach took money from O'Callaghan is wholly untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 joecoote

debaters1 wrote:
    I would imagine he was referring to the fact that unless he were telepathic, he would not know what the 30 or so people who had submitted evidence to the Mahon Tribunal knew. It isnt that unreasonable to suggest that he might not have known the full figures or what exactly was purchased when and what for in relation to the house. My dad, who pays for most of the items purchased by my family, would never have a hope of accounting for all expenditure, and thats his money, so Bertie probably wouldnt have been able to account for how a third party spent someone else's money.

Also, bear in mind, that the Mahon Tribunal was set up byt the taoiseach to investigate the claims of tom Gilmartin re Owen O'Callaghan. The taoiseach has demonstrated to the trinbunal that Gilmartins claims that the Taoiseach took money from O'Callaghan is wholly untrue.

I admit I'm biased against Bertie. He's just told too many porkies about the Monaghan hospital situation. However, your partner gets 30,000 or something and its just a detail that wasn't mentioned. I, personally, don't buy this explanation. But that's me. The McMahon tribunal was set up when Bertie was finance minister. 10 years ago? Surely, it should be wrapped up by now? But, then again, "forgotten" items keep cropping up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭JerkyBoy

He was also pulled up on the 97%-3% tax lies that FF have been telling.

Ahern was forced to admit that 100% of taxpayers would benefit under Fine Gael proposals...and also admitted that FF is essentially raising taxes by removing the ceiling on PRSI for high earners.

It's not that 97% of people would do better under FF, it's actually that 3% will be worse off. FF spin those numbers around to attack FG.

It's a complete distortion of figures and its about time that FF & Co. have been pulled up on it.

Maybe Brian Dobson was feeling guilty about letting Bertie off the hook completely during their previous encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

JerkyBoy wrote:
    Maybe Brian Dobson was feeling guilty about letting Bertie off the hook completely during their previous encounter.

Maybe Bertie was not prepared for hard questions after the easy ride he got with Dobbo in October.
    Did Bertie try crying this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Would it be online? I didn't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Heinrich wrote:
    This sad story was published in the Itish Times yesterday, May 22, 2007

Is this and childcare and so many other "peripheral issues" what the health service should be about? As far as Ahern, Cowan and the boys are concerned the most important issue is the cash in the coffers.

THanks for publishing that, If you have a cronic illness and are a "lifer" this is a bigger issue than the alleged "strong economy". :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

DaveMcG wrote:
    Would it be online? I didn't see it
    Direct link here --> http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/230-2250767.smil

It did seem quite an abrasive interview for him and it's doubtful anyone will think Dobson is an FF'er after it as he kept putting the boot in.
    I doubt it would make much difference to the election though as it's too little, too late and the opposition haven't any time to capitalise on it.

a bit late but better the interview was done than not at all. it really exposed bertie and FF for what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭JerkyBoy

It makes you realize that Enda actually did a pretty poor job during the leaders debate.

Dobson did what Kenny should have done the other night...which was not to let Bertie get away with the lies and distortions that FF are putting out there.

FF\PDs have no progressive policies so all they can do is attack people who do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The difference with Dobson is that he is completely unbiased, there were some comments that Dobson was too soft on Bertie last time, therefore he was making up for last time. I dont think anyone can say he is truely biased,he has gone after Pat Rabitte about FF/Lab, Gerry Adams on Corporation Tax, Michael Mc Dowell on whether the PDs would or would not pull out of government, and after FG too. He must be every politicans nightmare; and yes Bertie looked completely flustered on that interview.

I quite enjoyed watching that.

glad you did. so did I. now you know not to vote FF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

And vote Fine Gael, Labour and Greens instead!

exactly! Lets hope we can boot them out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Thing is though, Dobson doesn't have a Contract for Ireland to defend.

There's enough for Kenny to attack Ahern on without giving FF bait in the form of that ****ing contract. Dobson would destroy either of them in a debate. And Dobson is nothing more than a poor man's Jeremy Paxman.

Advertisement