Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepherds

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

peasant wrote:
    Killme00

I don't know what your issue is with me (other than trying to goad me into an argument?) but if you read my posts in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055118055 I think that you'll find that your "suspiscions" are unfounded.

Apologies, i misinterpreted your comments on this thread as you looking for an argument. I have read your comments on the Dangerous dogs thread and they are well balanced and fair.

peasant wrote:
    Now ...back to topic ...

Agreed..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

GG66 wrote:
    From my experience and talking with others who had GSD, they're wary of strangers around their own patch. very protective, i.e. they bark loudly and hold their ground

That said, once people are introduced he's fine. we've had friends come to the house once, return a year later, open the gate and walk into the house. A stranger would be intimidated by his barking...

Once out in public, he's fine with other people and pretty much ignores the incessant grief he gets from smaller dogs with aggressive attitudes....oddly enough owners of these dogs don't seem to feel their dog should be on a lead..

GSDs are wonderful dogs but people's perceptions of them can be annoying, like corkimp i've seen people cross the street when he was a 6 month old pup. He was on a short leash

Yep. Been there done that esp with other ppls reaction to my GSD!
    But I think most dogs are protective esp when they meet strangers!

@ Peasant. What did ya do to yer man!:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Hey guys just to update, Titon is getting huge already! His paws and legs in general are just massive.

He is obviously still teeting as he does nothing but bite... anything and everything! Any tips on getting him out of this habbit? Have bought him plenty of chew toys but he would rather chew on peoples hands, feet and clothes at the moment! Really want to get him out of this sooner rather than later if anyone has any advice that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If he bites you (or other people) do a big play act ...cry out "ouch" in a high pitched voice and withdraw.

If he bites anything else, tell him no and take it/him away or offer a swap for his chewing toy.

Repeat incessantly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

peasant wrote:
    If he bites you (or other people) do a big play act ...cry out "ouch" in a high pitched voice and withdraw.

If he bites anything else, tell him no and take it/him away or offer a swap for his chewing toy.

Repeat incessantly :D

I second this, and have a "single" chewing toy. Giving him lots of different things to chew on can give the wrong idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kashi

When Kesh was teething, he had a habit of mouthing everything and everyone. I found putting mustard on my hand turned him off mouthing people. He didn't really like the taste (not that I blame him....... I hate it too!). They do need something to chew though, and as GG66 said a chew toy is wonderful. We had a sheepdog pup once, and when he was teething he tore my duvet apart from the washing line. I wasn't impressed but don't worry I didn't kill him. I lectured him, but all he did was wag the tail. Silly dog!

Esri seems to be using poor Kesh as a chew toy when she visits! For ages the silly dog took it, but when she tried to get attention off me, Kesh did not take to that kindly (he's a sl*t for attention, as is she!) and finally started "giving out" to her. It took him long enough. Total slob!!!

I wonder........do dogs end up being like their owners?? I'm the same with kids and dogs, take so much and then the foot comes down and that's it, I'm in stubborn mode! Any dogs out there that are like their owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mrs_kav

I have a German Shepard myself called Benny and have to say they are the best pets they get on so well with other animals we also have a little jack Russell who hangs out of him they are the best of friends, when we first got Benny my family were very afraid of him as they had heard horror stories about other German Shepards NOW they could not live without him..

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Mustard works a treat on teething dogs - if its on objects-say table and chair legs, rub chilli oil...they won't touch again twice!! Esri knows exactly what to do with me and dave...mind you she know's not to mess with me cos i won't take it. but she is after recovering from her spaying and has grown a huge amount, nearly as tall as my sister kashi's dog kesh and she's still growing. will take some more pics of her soon and post them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I get the same reaction to my Dobies when I have them out for a walk but most of the people in the locality where I walk them now know them by name and so realise that they are just two big softies.

I hate to hear your having to give up your dog because of the neighbours - please don't. I never could part with any of mine and never will.

I would love to take him but I have to limit myself to three as its quite expensive to keep that many dogs these days without taking on another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Nice to see all the pics of your gorgeous German shepherds since i was on here last! Currently in Dublin - my German shepherd Jake is in quarantine in Swords at the moment... Coming out in February.. I miss him terribly but im going in to see him every week!

We must organise a big German shepherd get together when he comes out!

Can't believe that breed ban in council houses :mad: though this is not the thread for that so...

Here's a photo of Jake in quarantine the first week I went into see him... I miss my boy..

P1090142.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

can you not get him a passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

As he came in from Turkey (non EU and high risk rabies) he did not qualify for a pet passport. However after quarantine I will be getting him a pet passport for travel within the EU and America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭darkgamerdk

here my gsd Zeus

Advertisement