Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 To Launch 10Gb Cap HSDPA package for €20 a month today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Xcellor be honest, how much of the linked PDF did you follow? I read about half it and got bored. They seem to be talking in hypothetical terms. As for the quote, sounds like unsubstantiated rubbish. There's a process called interleaving used in the transmission of data, it increases ping time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are due to address the latency problem somewhat in about 2009 ( 2 years time ) when they bring out the faster uplink (500k-1mbit) system called HSUPA and change the name of both HSDPA+HSUPA to HSPA

The 3G operators believe low latency to be anything below 100ms on a ping or hop . I do not. Anything better than that....say 30ms or 40ms... is vapourware as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Xcellor wrote:

"Latency in the 40-50ms range. Now this addresses a major weakness in the present 3G service, namely the high, 200ms plus latency

Looks like there is already the ability to reduce latency so that this could become a real competitor in the BB world.

Vapourware. Doesn't exist. Requires major network upgrade to make it happen when it does exist. Like I said earlier, it's on the roadmap, but right now only the 4G services have it (low latency). Ireland's 4G services are still in "Test" but someone should have something later this summer.

watty wrote:
    Vapourware. Doesn't exist. Requires major network upgrade to make it happen when it does exist. Like I said earlier, it's on the roadmap, but right now only the 4G services have it (low latency). Ireland's 4G services are still in "Test" but someone should have something later this summer.

When you say 4G what technolodgy are you talking about? Wimax?

no 3g LTE or hsda+ which is so big an upgrade it will become 4g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Clik

Anybody experiencing problems sending emails from Outlook Express or Microsoft mail since changing to the 3 datamodem. When I try to send an email I'm getting error 451 "no server" using an eircom account. No problems receiving emails and if I go onto eircom.net I can send emails no prob.

Because you need to put your user name and password into SMTP properties or else use 3s SMTP server

It's an anti-spam feature almost all ISP implement. You can't connect either at all, or without an SMTP logon if you arn't connected via the ISPs IP subnets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I dont expect this service to rival BB by todays standard when I get it this week (hopefully) but the fact the technology has room for evolving at least gives me hope I might again have a decent net connection :D

Anything that makes Eircom wake up and role out more BB exchanges or this Wimax that has been talked about for months.

I questioned 3 about latency and had a phone call this morning, she seemed confident that it would be good but I don't think she saw the difference between rate of transfer and latency. She kept telling me I was in an excellent zone with full coverage...

I'll post my details once I have done the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

So let me get this straight. I'm in the sticks and have just set my mobile to search for GSM/3G Networks and i now have a constant 3G icon along with a GSM icon on my phone. Would i be right i thinking that if i went into a 3G store and bought one of there 3Datamodems and singed up for a data account i would be able to come home and plug that into my pc usb port and do what it says on the tin..so to speak? Sorry if this is a little simplistic but im trying to keep it so, cos if this is what i think it is it could very well be something very big indeed....I can for the moment live on 10Gigs and even at the current package two people could sign up in the same house for a combined 20Gigs..

So let me get this straight. I'm in the sticks and have just set my mobile to search for GSM/3G Networks and i now have a constant 3G icon along with a GSM icon on my phone. Would i be right i thinking that if i went into a 3G store and bought one of there 3Datamodems and singed up for a data account i would be able to come home and plug that into my pc usb port and do what it says on the tin..so to speak? Sorry if this is a little simplistic but im trying to keep it so, cos if this is what i think it is it could very well be something very big indeed....I can for the moment live on 10Gigs and even at the current package two people could sign up in the same house for a combined 20Gigs..

Well yea, I don't know about the offer though, you'd have to make sure the signal is with 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

Well i was in a similar position out in the sticks, so no broadband for me until now. Took the plunge and got it and getting good speeds at home of 1.5mb. I can only get 1 bar on the signal however but it doesn't seem to affect the performance.

If it doesn't work for you, you can always return it within 14 days and get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

richie.c wrote:
    Well i was in a similar position out in the sticks, so no broadband for me until now. Took the plunge and got it and getting good speeds at home of 1.5mb. I can only get 1 bar on the signal however but it doesn't seem to affect the performance.

If it doesn't work for you, you can always return it within 14 days and get your money back.

Ye i just spoke with the portlaios branch and there all out for the net 10 days to 2 weeks. The 14 day money back is pretty ok also. If this don't work im buying a gun...

Apart from the dl limit of 10 gigs which for some ppl is too small for 19,99 this is a steal. It's also available 85% of areas according to 3. This is the best deal for folks who can't get BB through normal avenues and in my opinion much better than satelit in terms of cost and features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Xcellor wrote:
    Apart from the dl limit of 10 gigs which for some ppl is too small for 19,99 this is a steal. It's also available 85% of areas according to 3.

85% of Population coverage not 85% of Areas. Huge difference between 85% area of this country and 85% of population in this country.
    I am not happy with the detail map of the coverage of three online maps. you can drill down in more detail with vodafone maps.
    Copied from their website
    ** Voice and text services unavailable on Mobile Broadband 10Gb tariff. Service available on 3's HSDPA network in Ireland (85% population coverage) and on 3 networks abroad (HSDPA) only

limklad wrote:
    85% of Population coverage not 85% of Areas. Huge difference between 85% area of this country and 85% of population in this country.
    I am not happy with the detail map of the coverage of three online maps. you can drill down in more detail with vodafone maps.
    Copied from their website
    ** Voice and text services unavailable on Mobile Broadband 10Gb tariff. Service available on 3's HSDPA network in Ireland (85% population coverage) and on 3 networks abroad (HSDPA) only

Yes but you can cancel if it doesn't work well. And it doesnt take weeks to get the thing in the first place.

Agree their map is quite non detailed. Better phoning them since they can tell you if you are in an excellent area or only a good area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Xcellor wrote:
    Yes but you can cancel if it doesn't work well. And it doesnt take weeks to get the thing in the first place.
    I wonder will 3 customer service/support be any different (I mean a lot better than other providers) and network capacity can handle huge increase in customers.
    Xcellor wrote:
    Agree their map is quite non detailed. Better phoning them since they can tell you if you are in an excellent area or only a good area.
    Vodafone boast same coverage and look at their map which is similar to 3 network you see 50% 3G area coverage at best probally 40%.

What great about 3 offer is that it's puts pressure on vodafone, other wireless providers as well as landline operators to reduce their prices and to increase their Bandwidth(download caps) and increase speeds, to keep their current subscribers.

watty wrote:
    Because you need to put your user name and password into SMTP properties or else use 3s SMTP server

It's an anti-spam feature almost all ISP implement. You can't connect either at all, or without an SMTP logon if you arn't connected via the ISPs IP subnets.
    Thanks for help watty. I tried user name and password but still no joy.
    Outgoing mail SMTP is mail1.eircom.net and then i ticked my server requires autentiction and ticked Log on using and enter my email address and password. Is this what u suggested for me to do?:confused:

limklad wrote:
    I wonder will 3 customer service/support be any different (I mean a lot better than other providers)

Ah HA HA HA HA haaaaHHHHH <cough> , no! . They already have the worst cs of any mobile operator what with their bangalore script jockeys and their scottish call centre :( and none at all in Ireland .
    and network capacity can handle huge increase in customers.

a fascinating thought, nobody really knows as they only have 80000 customers or so at present. If they did grow it could be OK or not OK or another ripwave/clearwire fiasco.

do you FEEL lucky ???

Sponge Bob wrote:
    a fascinating thought, nobody really knows as they only have 80000 customers or so at present. If they did grow it could be OK or not OK or another ripwave/clearwire fiasco.

You understand the concept of stress testing? Some know, most like they have a figure for the number of user connected before service will go to ****. It will be dependent on location and time factors.

I understand the concept of breathing cells where your signal may disappear for hours on end , thats quite stressful if you are 2 miles out on your sector Boston, n'est pas???

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I understand the concept of breathing cells where your signal may disappear for hours on end , thats quite stressful if you are 2 miles out on your sector Boston, n'est pas???

Perhaps drive testing then?

Clik wrote:
    Thanks for help watty. I tried user name and password but still no joy.
    Outgoing mail SMTP is mail1.eircom.net and then i ticked my server requires autentiction and ticked Log on using and enter my email address and password. Is this what u suggested for me to do?:confused:
    Yes, that's correct.
    Your email address won't work. as username with eircom. (Though that is correct for some other ISPS where they have the same SMTP server for different Domains) you just put the part in front of the @eircom.net. That's your user name.

You should be still able to read eircom mails from Eircom POP3 and send your emails with eircom from address.

If that doesn't work then you need to use 3's Outgoing mail SMPTP server instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Ok folks lets put all the gobble dee gook and techno jargon aside.:D

All i wanna know (preferably from someone who's used it)is 3broadband worth getting??

and BTW im living near limerick, so does anyone know if the 3 signal is strong there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭FastMachine

Got it today, bringing it back tomorrow. All this crap about "fastest mobile broadband", 3.6MBps. It has not gone over 1MB since I got it, usually hovers around 600 when it is not lagging or occasionally losing connection completely. Upload speed of 56kps, lol. In this day and age this is laughable.

I was told in the shop I was in a great area (very close to city centre in Galway) so I should have no problems, I didnt expect it to be as amazing as it was described to me but I did expect to see speeds of at least 1.5MB and would have been happy enough at that as there is a problem with NTL in my area and I dont see it being fixed in a hurry. Anyone that needs a good stable real time connection, this is not the solution. I'm actually surprised that they are flogging this thing with the current level of performance, they should've waited till they could deliver what they promise, as is, they are just turning off possible future customers. Barring you cant get a broadband connection from one of the big providers I see no reason why anyone would choose this piss poor solution.

watty wrote:
    Yes, that's correct.
    Your email address won't work. as username with eircom. (Though that is correct for some other ISPS where they have the same SMTP server for different Domains) you just put the part in front of the @eircom.net. That's your user name.

You should be still able to read eircom mails from Eircom POP3 and send your emails with eircom from address.

If that doesn't work then you need to use 3's Outgoing mail SMPTP server instead.
    Had to delete all outgoing mails in que. Seems fine now. Thanks a million :)

philstar wrote:
    Ok folks lets put all the gobble dee gook and techno jargon aside.:D

All i wanna know (preferably from someone who's used it)is 3broadband worth getting??

and BTW im living near limerick, so does anyone know if the 3 signal is strong there??
    I have the 3 datamodem for 2 weeks now and I'm very happy with it. Up to this I could only connect to internet using dial up and 3g is the only broadband option for me. Max download speed had been 1.5 MB/s, averaging about .800 MB/s. Upload is nearly always .06 MB/s. Their is a noticable lag at times but the connection seems to be fairly reliable. Currently its the best option available to me but u may have a wider choice. Cost wise I think its excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pilslager

Hi Clik, i have it for two weeks now and havent had a problem with it, i live out in the sticks and have poor reception with most providers so i wasnt too confident it would work. It does and its great value for money, am thinkin of moving my mobiles over to 3 as well. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Hi Chaps,
    I tried a 3 data card for a couple of weeks. I live in rural Kildare about 4 miles south of Kildare town. It worked fairly well for about half that time. Tech support wasn’t the best – had to reinstall the software a couple of times. I was about 4 KM form the base station and was getting a one bar signal and I suspect there were only a handful of 3 users in the area. The best thing to do is try it out for two weeks and if you’re not happy give it back within the 14 days (they’re very strict about the 14 day time limit so if you want to give it back don’t leave it till day 15 - they won't take it!). One of the reasons I gave it back was because you had to sign up for 12 months and I found that in the two week trial that the service wasn’t consistent enough to commit for 12 months. Reliability and stability and reasonably low latency (citrix) were what I was looking for as opposed to all out speed. To conclude I would say that if you have no other options by all means give it a go.

Rgds,
    Zugvogel

PS Prior to having the 3 card I also had a Vodafone USB modem for about 3 weeks. I found it to be useless - much worse than a 40k dialup!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

So would the vodaphone HSDPA be a better option??

• Advertisement

at 4km from a vodafone mast you will have the exact same problems as with 3 ..or worse.

HSDPA is always a high latency, comparable to slow dialup although the transfer rates can be high close to the mast . It fairly clattered along on linux iso downloads .

I have tested 3 HSDPA at 400m from the mast and perfect LOS, pings were 200ms which is about the same as a 28k modem .

Latency (as in pings) will halve to around 100ms in around 2009 when HSUPA is launched as a mid life upgrade for HSDPA

Advertisement